Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Yes, I have been a heavy critic of AEW, but I must give credit where it is due. The opening segment between Punk and MJF was a huge step in the right direction. THAT is what this company was sorely lacking! They need engaging dialog that can get people interested instead of just watching < 185 lb guys flipping and flopping.

The exchange was hard hitting and saw a young up and comer more than hold his own against one of the best talkers ever. I am interested in seeing this feud play out live instead of noticing AEW diehards screaming to their proverbial social media lungs about how great this that and the other was only to be highly disappointed!

If anything, (as always) there were two many WWE references (talk about free publicity for your rival). However, the segment was very good. To grow their audience, AEW HAS to produce more segments like this within their programming.

·
Premium Member
Safe Space Invader
14,690 Posts
In other words they need to be like WWE to appease the WWE marks in his forum. Let's have a whole bunch of damn talking and less wrestling. Meh.
No, they have guys actually do promos vs reading from scripts. Let me know when the following forgettable fifteen minute match between Punk and QT will ever be remembered by anyone, anytime, anywhere.

As Piper famously said to Hogan (paraphrasing) "they would never have been cheering for Hogan if they had not been booing Piper."

No one cares about matches in a vacuum. Using TV to build a feud to sell the actual match on PPV is what they should be doing. CM Punk talking is worth more than 1000 forgettable tiny dudes performing choreographed stunts.

·
Registered
16,175 Posts
It's good that at times they can switch it up like that - they get that they can't do it every week but when they do.

chefs kiss
Yeah, if they did that every week i would tap out - i hate a 20min promo to start the show

but in cases like these, with 2 guys that can ‘go’ and who is building a story, its fine

but if next week you have a 20min taz promo And the week thereafter a 20min DMD promo, then I will start forwarding that shit

·
15,114 Posts
Yeah, if they did that every week i would tap out - i hate a 20min promo to start the show

but in cases like these, with 2 guys that can ‘go’ and who is building a story, its fine

but if next week you have a 20min taz promo And the week thereafter a 20min DMD promo, then I will start forwarding that shit
So it would take a 20 minute Matt and QT promo exchange for you to tap?

·
The EST of NXT
The LegitEST BOSS
36,062 Posts
In other words they need to be like WWE to appease the WWE marks in his forum. Let's have a whole bunch of damn talking and less wrestling. Meh.
Apparently, Punk vs jobbers didn't appeal to anyone, as the ratings go to shit whenever it airs, but this promo segment got everyone talking. Promos weren't created by WWE. This Indy obsessed generation just wants to force heatless matches with no storytelling down everyone's throats and try to sell promo segments as an evil act of WWE, so that they're condemned by "real wrestling fans."

Newsflash: "real wrestling fans" were here long before you were alive, and promos that got characters over were always far more important than the in ring product. There's an obvious reason why Hulk Hogan is on Mount Rushmore and Lance Storm was never considered.

·
Registered
7,823 Posts
I enjoyed the promo last night, but they better not start talking every goddamn night just to make the Sports Entertainment fans happy. They’re supposed to be an alternative, not just a different Maury Povich vs Jerry Springer.

·
Registered
10,303 Posts
I think opening the show with a promo is so WWE.. it's just better that they rarely ever do that. It makes them stand out. It's different this way.

That being said, I absolutely loved last week's opening promo and this week's too.

This is the kind of action/promo balance I think works best for weekly wrestling episodes. But it doesn't necessarily need to be every week because then it becomes a norm and same format as the competition.

·
You're Pretty Good
9,962 Posts
Yes, I have been a heavy critic of AEW, but I must give credit where it is due. The opening segment between Punk and MJF was a huge step in the right direction. THAT is what tbis company was sorely lacking! They need engaging dialog that can get people interested instead of just watching < 185 lb guys flipping and flopping.

The exchange was hard hitting and saw a young up and comer more than hold his own against one of the best talkers ever. I, am interested in seeing this feud play out live instead of noticing AEW diehards screaming to their proverbial social media lungs about how great this that and the other was only to be highly disappointed!

If anything, (as always) there were two many WWE references (talk about free publicity for your rival). However, the segment was very good. To grow their aidience, AEW HAS to produce more segments like this within their programming.
Genuinely the best segment of professional wrestling I have seen in years.

MJF nails everything he does and they need to keep him in the spotlight. He's as consistently good as any wrestler I can think of and never misses a beat on the mic. They were the perfect foil for each other and doing it in Chicago just made it even better. MJF sold those insults like a man who's been told he's dying. In-fucking-credible.

I disagree about the WWE references. They weren't cheap pot-shots, they were either referencing real history or making legitimate comparisons. It didn't come across as small time as it has before but just felt like two guys using the industry to their advantage.

The difference between the opening this week and last week is just hilarious. Hopefully the ratings reflect how good that segment was.

I've been critical of AEW but damn when it's good it's great.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
No, they have guys actually do promos vs reading from scripts. Let me know when the following forgettable fifteen minute match between Punk and QT will ever be remembered by anyone, anytime, anywhere.

As Piper famously said to Hogan (paraphrasing) "they would never have been cheering for Hogan if they had not been booing Piper."

No one cares about matches in a vacuum. Using TV to build a feud to sell the actual match on PPV is what they should be doing. CM Punk talking is worth more than 1000 forgettable tiny dudes performing choreographed stunts.
Apparently, Punk vs jobbers didn't appeal to anyone, as the ratings go to shit whenever it airs, but this promo segment got everyone talking. Promos weren't created by WWE. This Indy obsessed generation just wants to force heatless matches with no storytelling down everyone's throats and try to sell promo segments as an evil act of WWE, so that they're condemned by "real wrestling fans."

Newsflash: "real wrestling fans" were here long before you were alive, and promos that got characters over were always far more important than the in ring product. There's an obvious reason why Hulk Hogan is on Mount Rushmore and Lance Storm was never considered.
Thank you, thank you, thank you. No surprise it's you two talking sense.

Promos aren't a WWE thing. They're a WRESTLING thing.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I agree, this is how you build up matches for more than just being the wrestling itself

There's no perfect formula but it's segments like these that will allow AEW to attract more casuals

I see it similar to a political spectrum, at the moment AEW is too 'left wing' and WWE is too 'right wing', if AEW moves closer to the centre in that they take a bit more elements of what WWE does without the dumb stuff they will attract more viewers guaranteed

·
Registered
244 Posts
Promo = Promotion

it’s so crucial that promos are used to promote a dues abs move it forward. It was extremely refreshing to see this last night! Probably the best promo so far in AEW history!

I can see where people wouldn’t want it every week, in fact, in my mind, you can’t do that absolutely every week unless it’s setting things up later in the show. Obviously that did not happen last night but it was so good on its own he got the whole night off to an incredible start.

one thing that shouldn’t be lost on here, is when you have guys of that calibre starting the night off with some excellent unscripted promos, it’s a lot easier to take on. Let’s keep in mind that when wrestling was at its absolute peak we had a lot of this. The difference was that it wasn’t done by droning, scripted, charisma-less guys back then.

and to be fair, the Triple H Era early 2000s wasn’t nearly as bad as people make it out to be with him starting off shows.

·
Registered
6,917 Posts
I loved it. It was excellent. And why? Well, besides the fact it was Punk and MJF, it wasn't an every week thing so felt quite novel within AEW. If they start shows with 20 minute promos every week, it would become obnoxious. AEW sells a lot of tickets for its shows because they put on a lot of good wrestling.

WCW regularly started shows with a hot match during their golden era and there is no rule that opening with promos = the right way. That's a Attitude Era~ WWE mindset. Do it when a situation calls for it, not as a habit.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
WRONG! If this was WWE, 2-4 other wrestlers would have come down, brawl would have ensued and a General Manager would have made a tag or 6 man tag.

Promos are not a WWE thing! Greats got over...hell, CM Punk got over...with promos and segments.Do promos have to take up 75% of the show? NO. However, you need encounters like this to build programs.

Regardless of what everyone thinks, AEW is Sports Entertainment as well as long as they have matches where the outcome is predetermined and the wrestlers are consenting to what is done and done to them from bell to bell.

If they want more viewers, this is the way to go! Give people a reason to want to tune in!

1 - 20 of 64 Posts