Wrestling Forum banner

Final Battle: Match #14 - Sticksy vs Metal X

487 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  LittleMissBlissXoX 
#1 ·
Is it the right decision for Chuck Liddell to retire?​

Deadline to hand in your debate will be Sunday May 10th. Failure to show will result in an automatic disqualification. As previously mentioned, your debates are to be posted in this thread only.

You have the option to choose your own side of the topic so you may debate the same side without consequence.

Good luck.

#3 ·
Is it the right decision for Chuck Liddell to retire?

Yes​

Of course looking at his record his past for fights is proof enough to say he needs to retire but I’m going to go about more into detail on why it needs to be done. First of all, Out of his past five fights he has won one of them, which isn’t good for starters, and anybody who isn’t a big superstar would probably get released for that. He lost one by decision, which really isn’t something to worry about but his three KO loses is. All three of them have clearly shown that maybe Chuck is getting abit too old for the sport and his reflexes aren’t working like they used too. Some of you are maybe saying but yea but his win against Wanderlei Silva must mean something right? It’s a good win against a good opponent yes, but it’s his only one in his last five and it was by decision.

Now say he doesn’t retire? What is there left for him to prove? He has already beaten the best of them guys like Tito Ortiz, Randy Couture & Wanderlei Silva. He’s a former UFC Light Heavyweight Champion and he even defended the belt 4 times which is pretty good so I don’t think he has anything to prove as far as championships goes. He’s also a shoe in for the HOF consider what he’s accomplished plus him & Dana White are good friends so there’s nothing for left to prove and retiring would only do him good cause no one wants to see him get hurt. Plus yea speaking of getting hurt if he continues getting KO’ed like that he might suffer damage to the head and no one wants to see him get injured severely or something and then HAVING to retire.

So all in all, based on his record the past five fights, him having nothing left to prove in the UFC and the risk of getting severally hurt I say it’s in Chuck’s best interest to retire.

There’s only one thing I don’t approve and that’s Dana White pushing the Retirement on Liddell I’m saying that if Chuck wants to retire that decision should be his only and say he wants to have one last fight I say let him IT should be 100% his decision if he we’re to retire or not.

With that I’ll wish Good Luck to Sticksy.

#2 ·
Not really happy with this but i'm too lazy to try harder :$

Is it the right decision for Chuck Liddell to retire?

Yes

Chuck Liddell is a legend in the world of MMA. He’s competed at the highest level for a number of years, held the UFC Light Heavyweight title from April of ‘05 through to May of ’07. He’s proven that he has been able to throw down with the best in his division but everything that goes up must come down and I feel that the star of Liddell is fading out and it’s only inevitable that he’s going to continue to fall.

Take a quick look back through the career of The Iceman and it is an impressive resume but when you’re taking on the top fighters sooner later the punishment will wear you down, time will wear you down, critics will wear you down and at this point in his career Liddell is just worn down. He’s 39, gone 1-4 in his past 5 fights over the past 2 years and he’s slowed down during this time. His reflexes have dropped which is really noticeable in some of his past few fights with a younger, quicker opponent beating him to the punch and knocking him out.

Aside from the obvious health risks associated with a decision to continue, what does the Iceman have left to accomplish in the sport? Another shot at the title is the most obvious one and the desire to be the champ obviously has still burnt strong in him. Money is another incentive but if he wants to hang around just to get a pay check I truly fear for his wellbeing. As long as the desire to be champ is still there I feel that he may last for a bit longer but I feel like he doesn’t have the skills to continue to match up with the younger guys on the way to the top. His wrestling and in particular his takedown defence continues to be top class and he still packs a lot of power in his hands but as a counter-puncher his speed and reflexes are just not there at the present time.

So if he can’t hang with the top fighters like I believe then if he does hang around what does he do? A step down in competition might work but all it will do is tarnish his legacy if he were to continue to lose. Even if he were to win a fight against a lower ranked opponent there will still be the feeling that Liddell has overstayed in this sport and should retire. All up, the reasons for retiring are much stronger than they are for sticking around to fight another day.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.