Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
3,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just received a truly unique item from one of my old school wrestling correspondents, i.e. another wrestling fan like me with one foot in the grave and one on a banana peel. :lol

I have seen numerous calendars with wrestling themes from the 1950s including those printed by the NWA and the AL HAFT promotion. However, this one was a first for me - a 11"x17" calendar for the year 1954 with Nature Boy Buddy Rogers demonstrating the steps in applying the "FIGURE FOUR GRAPEVINE."

If anyone has seen one of these let me know, because this looks like an item that had a low printing with almost no copies surviving to the present. I've never seen one of these before.

[/IMG]​

[/IMG]

[/IMG]​

I also picked up a 16"x22" cardboard poster featuring a November 9, 1963 NWA World Championship match between Lou Thesz and Whipper Watson in Memorial Arena in Victoria, British Columbia, Canada. (Memorial Arena was demolished in 2003.) It has a photo of Thesz with the NWA belt that he won from Buddy Rogers in the Toronto screwjob on January 24th of the same year.

The poster was autographed by Gene Kiniski who was featured in a tag team match on the same card. Kiniski would defeat Thesz for the NWA title in 1966.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]​

- Mike

Reactions: Saintpat

·
Banned
3,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
1. Step One turn over

:rolleyes:

Nice find Batko
It's been attempted by many, but successfully accomplished by none when the hold was applied by Buddy. :evil

The second Rogers/Ellis match of their feud in MSG saw Cowboy Bob almost manage to break the hold when he turned over and they both fell out of the ring and were counted out. Close, but NO cigar! :shocked:

NATURE BOY BUDDY ROGERS AND COWBOY BOB ELLIS ROLL OUT OF THE RING AS ELLIS ATTEMPTS TO BREAK THE FIGURE FOUR LEG LOCK - MSG, May 25, 1962
[/IMG]

[/IMG]​

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.