• Alberto Del Rio vs. Rey Mysterio

Votes: 6 6.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Undergoing a gimmick change.
2,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Personally I can't look any further than the John Cena vs. Nexus feud which has pretty much dominated the back end of the year. In the Slammy award spirit, I'm adding a poll with the top nominees so take your pick.

·
P.O.P., hold it down
22,552 Posts

·
Banned
8,283 Posts
The Miz vs. Daniel Bryan was the feud I enjoyed the most by far even if it wasn't a main event feud like this terrible Cena/Nexus story line that has been dragging on for so long. As far as all of professional wrestling goes even Miz/Bryan doesn't come close to Kevin Steen vs. El Generico in Ring of Honor for the past year.

·
#RiseAbove
1,471 Posts
Cena's getting my vote one way or another.

This Nexus stuff is great, but there's letdowns here and there, though ultimately minor and sometimes unstoppable (Tarver/Sheffield injuries, Cena 'joining' Nexus, the entire free/fired)

There wasn't a single dull moment during Cena/Batista. One of the few feuds I loved EVERYTHING about.

So I go with Cena/Batista.

·
Banned
420 Posts
How can anyone vote for Cena vs. Nexus, this has been probably the most anti climatic story in recent years. It failed with Cena joining the nexus and sure as hell failed with Cena getting fired. It just went downhill since the Nexus debut.

·
No Cena is good Cena
2,418 Posts
Awesome poll!

1) Rey vs. Punk had a pretty solid foundation but Punk's burial went right up my ass.
2) Hitman vs. McMahon was a long time coming. Bret Hart is my favorite ever but he had no business donning the tights in 2010.
3) Michaels vs. Taker was engaging and dramatic but the "feud" in 2010 didn't amount to much more than the one Wrestlemania match (as great as it was).
4) Cena vs. Batista in retrospect wasn't bad but I couldn't give two shits about either of them at the time.
5) Cena vs. Nexus is the obvious choice. A lot of time and attention was devoted to it and was fun to follow (but now I'm officially bored).
6) Miz vs. Bryan was special I would have voted for it but Miz has clearly moved on, thus making their 2 month feud relatively meaningless. Hopefully it will reignite in 2011.
7) Kane vs. Undertaker was an endurance test. I'm pleased that Kane finally escaped from Taker's shadow and was given a lengthy title reign but *shudder*.
8) I voted for the Mysterio/Del Rio feud because Rey was virtually unstoppable before Alberto took his ass down. I find their rivalry very engaging and expect it to continue until Rey retires.

·
Student of the game? I am the f***in' Game!!
8,351 Posts
Miz/Daniel Bryan takes feud of the year head and shoulders ahead of others imo.

6 months in the making built from scratch. Story was compelling. Bryan was the believable underdog for Miz and Miz was the perfect worker to push him over the edge. The feud had its rough patches(DB turning heel and getting fired) but somehow someway came together very nicely at the end. The foundation of the feud was built on the controversial WWE's tv personality vs. in ring ability(left much to be desired but the base of the feud is there).

NXT competition added a great dynamic to the build up. DB loses out of the competition only to make a grand return replacing replacing Miz at Summerslam. Kicked off the feud to a higher gear. Concluded with a great US title bout.

The feud I felt had many layers of depth.

·
You're better than that Cole.
3,990 Posts
John Cena Vs Batista and it’s not even close imo.

Just like Batista said out his mouth-he and Cena are the two biggest stars since the Attitude Era, their rise to the top was pretty much identical. It was a great jealous story between two respected stars but Batista always wondered why WWE chose John Cena to be the name and face of the WWE. He wondered why Stone Cold Steve Austin passed the torch to Cena instead of him. He wonder why Cena was all over movies, commercials and magazine covers. Batista proven in the passed that he was the better man (SS 08) and still wonder why the WWE evolved around Cena. Time and time again Batista kept getting the upper hand and Cena for the first time really doubt he could beat Batista, Batista was just that better but at Wrestlemania of course Cena tamed the Animal in the middle of the ring and finished Big Dave off in two of their sequel matches after their epic Mania encounter. John Cena proved in the end that he was the name and face of the company and was the better man and wasn’t going nowhere.

John Cena/Nexus could of got my vote for probably 2nd but it only took one mistake to ruin the whole credibility of the feud and that was when Team WWE went over Nexus at Summerslam. From then, Nexus started to look like a complete joke (they were all jokes in the beginning but I just went on and give them a chance and be a “PG fan” to expect this is a big thing.)

·
Banned
2,673 Posts
Cena/Batista is my pick, and by a far margin. It was consistent and pure quality.

Batista was finally turned heel and freshened up as a character. His promos were actually great and he did some of the best work I've ever seen from anyone in the WWE.

Cena was also, for the first time in several years, given something different as a character. The booking team did his character arc brilliantly. And it began with his confrontation with Vince. He takes issue with how Vince simply uses the men who make him the most money and work hard for him, then throws them away. He mentions three people when making his point to Vince McMahon: Undertaker, Shawn Michaels and Dave Batista. That's it. The first seed showing how much respect John Cena has for those particular men and where he places them in the WWE (at the very top with him).

That same Batista attacks him brutally and steals the title from him.

Cena tries his usual "you want some, come get some" routine but Batista waves him off. Then Batista deliberately disqualifies himself and allows John Cena an opportunity to face him at Wrestlemania. For the first time in his career, Cena is afraid he won't win. And you know something, it actually made sense kayfabe.

In the past when he expressed doubt against the likes of Edge or Khali or Lashley, it was ridiculous. We knew he was the favourite and on some occasions, he'd even beaten those men.

But with Batista, it was different. Batista was someone who had dominated just as much as Cena. He'd beaten the likes of Triple H, Orton, Undertaker and made short work of some men Cena found difficult to compete with. Shawn Michaels, who told Cena to his face that he could beat him, didn't believe he could beat Batista and resorted to using a dirty trick. The basis of the Summerslam feud was that Cena wanted to prove he was better and he always belived that "one day" would come where he'd do it. When that day came, Batista broke his neck.

It was great storytelling.

The only flaw in the feud was how quick Cena's doubt turned around. After weeks of build-up, on the last Raw, Cena turns around at the end and suddenly declares he's confident and can beat Batista. That was the only flaw in the storytelling. The sudden change in character.

If anything, I really liked an idea thrown around on these forums which I think WWE should've done something similar to.

Have John Cena lose at Wrestlemania 26. Continue the storyline of Cena losing his confidence and not being able to beat Batista. After Wrestlemania, have John Cena desperate to beat Batista and openly challenge Batista to a Last Man Standing match. Batista would accept to end Cena once and for all. But Cena would win in the same way that he won this year, via duct tape.

This way, we'd have a legitimate reason for the feud to continue with Batista not "truly" having been beaten. He'd call Cena out on being a farce of a champion. Cena would want to prove he really is better. This would set the final match where John Cena would prove definitively that he's the better man, by making Batista tap out after a long fought battle that lasts around 25 minutes (both previous Cena/Batista matches lasted around 14 minutes).

The issue with this feud was that it lost a little steam after Wrestlemania 26. And that's because WWE blew the central conflict of the angle (Cena's doubt) way too quickly. The face is the character the fans relate to and is normally the driving force. But after Wrestlemania 26, Batista was the driving force of the feud. It doesn't work when you do that.

We got something great. But had WWE pulled through and thought it out properly beyond Wrestlemania, we could've gotten one of the best feuds we've ever had.

·
Student of the game? I am the f***in' Game!!
8,351 Posts
The batista/Cena feud went downhill after wrestlemania. They had batista call out WWE's poster boy. That is a big deal. Prior Miz did something similar but the difference was That was The Miz and this was Dave "The Animal" Batista. From one juggernaut star calling out the other. Some might debate they are on the even plain field in star status.

By that point Batista was already made out too far as a complete fool by Rey Mysterio. His words just didn't mean as much by then(e.g skipping matches, getting intentionally dq'd). His uneventful illogical counter character heel turn made him into a caricature. By the end of his feud with Cena, he was reduced to a cartoon villain.

·
Phantom Thief
17,450 Posts
"Undertaker.. I still don't like you. Just thought i'd let you know, that when you look deep down into your worthless, pathetic sole, and ask for a savior, ask for me to like you, I'll simply reply, "No. I still don't like you"... MUAAHAHAHHAAHAHA"

·
I must away and tend to my ravens
11,236 Posts
Miz/Daniel Bryan takes feud of the year head and shoulders ahead of others imo.

6 months in the making built from scratch. Story was compelling. Bryan was the believable underdog for Miz and Miz was the perfect worker to push him over the edge. The feud had its rough patches(DB turning heel and getting fired) but somehow someway came together very nicely at the end. The foundation of the feud was built on the controversial WWE's tv personality vs. in ring ability(left much to be desired but the base of the feud is there).

NXT competition added a great dynamic to the build up. DB loses out of the competition only to make a grand return replacing replacing Miz at Summerslam. Kicked off the feud to a higher gear. Concluded with a great US title bout.

The feud I felt had many layers of depth.
Thanks for posting that, saves me the effort ;)

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Cena/Batista for sure.

That fued produced great television, made me gain even more respect for John Cena, and made me care about Batista, who i hadnt cared about for atleast 2 years prior. Plus they put on some quality matches aswell.

Honorable mention to Bryan/Miz.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts