Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
6,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After The Real Americans won their tag team match earlier this week, they did their pose in the ring and said their "We the People" phrase. What shocked me was the fans who chanted the phrase with The Real Americans and it was very loud. I'm not sure if the WWE are trying to get this team over as a face. Or are they? Antonio Cesaro's swing move is more of a face maneuver as well. Zeb Coulter has been the main mouthpiece of this stable and he talks down on minorities and all that stuff. I really don't know where they are going with this.

Also, the WWE needs to devote some time to allow the tag teams that we are supposed to cheer for (Usos, Team Santino, Tons of Funk) some actual mic time or other segments so the fans will have a reason to cheer for them. The more we see of how cool and serious The Real Americans, The Wyatt Family, and The Shield get to look in the ring compared to the lame jokes of a teams we are supposed to cheer for, there is going to be a problem. Are the WWE even aware of this problem they are creating? :lol

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Well, Cesaro and specially Swagger have had trouble connecting with the crowd, if they get to do it with this Real Americans gimnick, I don't think they are going to mess with it, even though it might be a face reaction.

PS: Don't forget about the Rhodes, they are doing great as a team, and they are over.

·
Registered
5,070 Posts
Literally Cessaro spinning around with an opponent is getting them over. Swagger has shown time after time that he doesn't have a wrestling mind and fails to get himself over Cessaro continues to outshine him and eventually they are going to split and Cessaro will go on to bigger things.

·
Banned
2,968 Posts
maybe they could get over as faces but there are no good heel contenders right now.

·
Banned
483 Posts
They are just to skilled to be booed, both of them put on good performance. Not to mention that A lot of people in the crowd agree with what Zeb says. So its not that suprising

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
I can see Swagger and Coulter turning on Cesaro which would make no sense whatsoever, but cos Cesaro is over atm then thats all the logic you need. Would be cool if they just morphed into tweeners, they shouldn't have to be either face or heel. So Zeb rants about what is wrong with his country, so does my grandfather, but he's not a bad guy. Its things like this the WWE should just run with instead of trying to fuck with the formula of something that is already working.

·
Master Of the DDT
801 Posts
I like the gimmick. I'm a fan of Cesaro & this is the first time I've ever given two craps about Jack Swagger. And how can you not love Dutch Mantel?
And I'm not even American!

·
Eating Doritos In My Mom's Basement. A Crawl Space
1,398 Posts
Been a fan of "The Real American" gimmick since Zeb Colter debuted with his right-wing promo before Swagger won the Elimination Chamber. Cesaro only added to it. I don't think Swagger is a natural entertainer but him being surrounded by two guys that are naturals has hidden some of his weaknesses even though they pop-up every now and then. I think WWE stumbled upon a gold mine with this group. The Real Americans versus the Rhodes family with the "American Dream" in their corner would be a good way to capitalize on their popularity.

Reactions: Tater

·
Banned
8,180 Posts
They are not "too skilled to be boo'd". They are not skilled enough to be boo'd and need to cut out the face antics. And also, never underestimate the inherent, deep down inside patriotism that many Americans carry. Hard to not chant along to such an iconic phrase.

·
Premium Member
5,911 Posts
Cesaro is that entertaining in the ring it's hard to get people to boo them, it's also hard to boo Zeb when his mic work is so good.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Iv'e noticed that chants are gettin over alot more right now. People even chant follow the buzzzards. Just give everyone a catchphrase and they will all get over. Cesaro will eventually turn but for now they need to build up the tagteam's as they have many good ones and more to come.

·
Ex Con With A Heart Of Gold
10,297 Posts
The problem with a political extremist gimmick is...

There are more of them than you think!

You might want them to be heels but they'll always be getting face reactions from vocal, passionate segments of the population who think...
"Even though it is pro wrestling, even though it is a goof, I agree with this person."

I think you'd get the same result if instead of a White Nationalist gimmick for a White, working class, southern and midwest male fanbase for the WWE, the WWE had the opposite fanbase of liberal, wealthy, jew and minority-driven east and west coast fans that were presented a tag team called something like The Communist Connection or The Freedom Fighters or something and tried to get them over as heels.

You're just fighting your fans with this gimmick.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
It's very obvious the want the fans to want the Cesaro Swing. Monday Cesaro won with The Neutralizer and didn't do the Swing during the match, then after the match, he signalled he was going to go for it and actually did it. The heel thing to do would be to tease it and not go for it.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
The crowd often chants "We the people" when Cesaro does it in the ring. Been doing so now for weeks. They very rarely go along with Swagger though.

·
All out of bubblegum.
5,301 Posts
Yeah the we the people chant mainly comes when Cesaro does it, he is far more over than Swagger despite being in the same team....

It's ahppened a lot in the past, at the most basic example...look at 2 cool :p

·
Registered
9,665 Posts
We all know WWE's audience will cheer and boo who they want them to when they want. WWE could easily turn the "We The People" gimmick into an American pride thing without speeches degrading minorities, and instead speeches preaching patriotism and unity. Zeb's a good enough talker to do it.

But it's probably going to have to wait until after their feud with the Matadores.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts