Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who were wrestlers you used to mark for hard but got tired of due to bad character work?

For me its personally

Cena - Like in 03-05 as a heel but you all know what happened

Randy - Especially in 2009 was the guy but sometimes in 2011 after the christian fued as a face he was stale and lost his personality

Seth Rollins - He was pretty cool in his first few years, blonde streaks, curbstomps, just didnt give a fuck. Now he is just a generic guy even though he tries. Since he came back from injury after 9 months hasn't been too good.

To be clear I stopped watching from 2012-2016 but from the little ive seen.

·
Registered
7,143 Posts
None.

If I pick a favorite, I'm in their corner through thick and thin.

Honestly, I think it's pretty fickle (and quite frankly, pathetic) that fans of a particular performer will turn on somebody at the drop of the hat if they have a bad run at some point....Which is pretty much every fan these days.

That's probably the worst thing that "smark culture" has brought to the industry. People fancy themselves connoisseurs rather than fans, even though in reality they don't know fucking shit, and it's a big part of what's ruining pro wrestling.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
None.

If I pick a favorite, I'm in their corner through thick and thin.

Honestly, I think it's pretty fickle (and quite frankly, pathetic) that fans of a particular performer will turn on somebody at the drop of the hat if they have a bad run at some point....Which is pretty much every fan these days.

That's probably the worst thing that "smark culture" has brought to the industry. People fancy themselves connoisseurs rather than fans, even though in reality they don't know fucking shit, and it's a big part of what's ruining pro wrestling.
That's very noble of you. But im talking about character wise

If a wrestler changes character its not the time person I was cheering for before. They're essentially a different person in kayfabe.

I can't help if they dont excite me like they once did, its the character change, or maybe its me thats changed

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Not really turn on but I had a whole lot of apathy with DDP during his WWE run. The man was stripped of everything that made him interesting, and he had to work with a horrible gimmick.

·
Ted the Moth
12,865 Posts
Is there such thing as dyslexia but with word order in a sentence? Because I was about to answer Val Venis, wa-heyyy.

·
Premium Member
5,302 Posts
On the main roster right now, Dean Ambrose is the big one for me. I started turning on him during his disappointing WWE run but really, it started during the Ambrose Asylum match. His corny humour, his extremely soft moveset and his temdency to phone it in just made me dislike him after a while especially considering I had such high hopes for him earlier in the year.

But for the most part, I tend to stay with my favourites. Didn't like Owens during his championship run but became his fan again during his feud with Jericho. Always liked TJP during the CWC but turned on him shortly after because the WWE mishandled his character horribly. But he's been getting better so I've been on board with him recently.

Pretty much don't like the NXT call ups anywhere near how much I used to. This isn't even a case of me buying into the NXT hype I just watched them and enjoyed them. For some reason when they came up I enjoyed them less. I haven't turned on them except for Nia Jax and Apollo Crews.

Outside WWE, I'd say Joe Hendry. I watch WCPW a lot so he's the big name that stuck to mind. I have an on and of relationship with Zack Sabre Jr. A bit dissapointed with Adam Cole considering the hype but haven't turned on him yet. Don't really have a favourie I have turned in Japan or Lucha undeground. Those guys tend to always deliver.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
None yet

·
Registered
441 Posts
I didn't turn on him, but I tuned out Undertaker during his American Bad Ass run. I couldn't stand that gimmick.

Reactions: Purpleyellowgreen

·
Banned
531 Posts
I wouldn't say I necessarily turned on anyone majorly

I used to really like John Morrison/ Johnny Nitro a lot more he's a big fantastic in ring worker but after everything I heard about him and Melina (most of it I believe) it definitely changed my opinion on him and his diss on Trish at Mania wasn't cool very immature and petty in my book and I used to like the Rock a bit just everything about him got old, immature, boring, and annoying in my book

the women I used to like Molly Holly a lot but after I read troubling things about her online that looked pretty legitimate I don't know and Paige just her whole act and attitude I'm just over it in general she seemed like a good personality for a while but I'm just not into her anymore to say it politely

·
Registered
664 Posts
Was I the only one that read this as "Favorite wrestlers that turned you on"...

Figured out my mistake after re-reading it three times. It's too late for this. I came into this thread with a prepared answer but now I gotta think again. :-(

·
Registered
362 Posts
Dolph Ziggler. I haven't turned on him, but he's not a favorite for me anymore. They ruined him for me, and I just can't get into him at all anymore even though I try to because I really do like him. I think of him as a scrub and damaged goods.

They should take him off TV for a while and have him return with big fanfare. Maybe change his look back to the way he did in 2013. I think that'd be the only way. Have Nakamura beat him in a loser leaves SmackDown match then have him return at the Royal Rumble as a surprise and give him a strong run. idk.

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
Undertaker is one for me. I loved him early on and during the AE. I have disliked him for over a decade now. Same for Kane and Big Show.

Cena is another. He was great in his rapper wannabe run. He became unbearable once the face of the company. Now he's turning back again into somebody I can tolerate.

RVD is another. I used to like him... then he got lazy.

·
WF's #1 Mox fan.
23,551 Posts
John Cena.

He used to be my absolute FAVOURITE wrestler for a very long time. Dean Ambrose came along and stole the crown of absolute favourite, but Cena remained high in my faves list.

Until last year. The thing that did it for me was them booking him the way they did - after AJ Styles won the title, Cena barged on into AJ and Dean's feud and demanded a title shot. Stupid booking, he didn't deserve it (especially not over Dean, who deserved his rematch WAY more) and it made no sense. Then him constantly going away and coming back, turning into exactly what he used to badmouth The Rock for. And his promos have gotten very annoying in recent years, talking about how everything goes through him and that.

For the first time ever at a WWE live show, I participated in the Cena Sucks chants at Mania 33, and I cheered for Miz & Maryse in that mixed tag match. That's something I never thought I'd do. Cena wouldn't even make my top 10 favourites now.

Reactions: InexorableJourney

·
Registered
1,915 Posts

·
Banned
2,461 Posts
Reigns-used to like him in his sheild days
Ambrose- Same thing as reigns
Cena-used to love the fuck outta him when I was a kid.
Bray-hate the booking more than bray himself tbh.
Dolph Ziggler-used to be good but now he is boring af

1 - 20 of 30 Posts