Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
I think Wrestlemania 21 gets pretty overlooked these days. All things considered, it was a pretty incrediblely built show. I ate up the whole HHH/Batista fued at the time. The resultant match is extremely underrated, too.

Man, WM21 was a whole heap of fun in terms of build AND show. You had Mysterio/Guerrero in a great opener. Rey's mask nearly falling off a million times is worth it alone. Orton/Undertaker was MOTN. MITB I is still probably the best save maybe for IV, and Angle/HBK is still pretty great despite Kurt Angle being overwhelmingly Kurt Angle throughout.

·
Registered
363 Posts
In terms of the WM17 build- if you want to buy it, seek out an older DVD or VHS copy. The newer ones (e.g the edition found inside the Wrestlemania Anthology box set) doesn't have 'My Way' as the theme, and due to reasons of nostalgia, the build is far less affecting.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
I'm going to go out of the X-Seven circle and give my vote to WrestleMania XII for the Hart/Michaels match. Don't get my wrong though, the My Way build up with Rock/Austin was great too.

There aren't many hour long matches, that I can actually sit through and enjoy from start to finish, but this is one of the ones I enjoyed. The build up between Shawn and Bret was pretty good at the time and back then I was really looking forward to this match.

·
Bowing down to the BEAST INCARNATE
4,567 Posts
I'm going to go out of the X-Seven circle and give my vote to WrestleMania XII for the Hart/Michaels match. Don't get my wrong though, the My Way build up with Rock/Austin was great too.

There aren't many hour long matches, that I can actually sit through and enjoy from start to finish, but this is one of the ones I enjoyed. The build up between Shawn and Bret was pretty good at the time and back then I was really looking forward to this match.

I'd have to agree with that whole heartedly but, Michael Cole just ruined that whole video for me... Pettengill was a master at voice over.

·
Premium Member
5,918 Posts
Build up alone = WrestleMania XXVI

RR
- Going the HBK vs. ‘Taker II route, early. HBK wants to win rumble to challenge Taker.
- Cena, HHH and Batista capable of winning rumble to challenge for a championship.
- Edge returns and wins rumble.

EC
- HBK costs ‘Taker the title and basically hands it to former enemy, Chris Jericho. This feud is more personal than any title. Some matches are monumental with little build up; this match had a monumental feel from the onset. Glad they gave it the end of the night and I’m glad they executed a top shelf match, again.
- WWE pulls another crazy move to top last year’s crazy move at NWO with Edge entering and winning the title in the other brand’s EC, this time Cena wins his EC but gets squashed by Batista in 30 seconds. Bad booking but entertaining, nevertheless.

Heading into WM XXVI
- HBK gets Taker to accept. Up until it became a retirement match for HBK If he loses, the outcome could have possibly gone either way (why book them twice straight with no ‘exotic’ stipulation?)
- Bret Hart has returned and Vince adds oil to the fire.
- Cena gets rematch vs. Batista.
- HHH looks to put Sheamus over.
- Jericho/Edge promo battle
- Mysterio/Punk continue feud
- Breakdown of Legacy
- MITB hopefuls

·
Registered
363 Posts

There aren't many hour long matches, that I can actually sit through and enjoy from start to finish, but this is one of the ones I enjoyed.

I'd actually go as far as saying this is up there with the worst Wrestlemania main events of all time, considering the critical acclaim it has recieved over the years. Boring, dull, badly paced. . .a snoozefest. It's aged terribley, but it was boring then too. Both guys thorughout look like they'd rather be anywhere on Earth than working a match with eachother. By around the twenty minute mark both look completley gassed.

I can't for the life of me work out why people like this. Because we're told to? Because guys in the industry think we're meant to enjoy it? Its a dreadful match, completely undeserving of its status as classic. In my opinion, of course.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I'd actually go as far as saying this is up there with the worst Wrestlemania main events of all time, considering the critical acclaim it has recieved over the years. Boring, dull, badly paced. . .a snoozefest. It's aged terribley, but it was boring then too. Both guys thorughout look like they'd rather be anywhere on Earth than working a match with eachother. By around the twenty minute mark both look completley gassed.

I can't for the life of me work out why people like this. Because we're told to? Because guys in the industry think we're meant to enjoy it? Its a dreadful match, completely undeserving of its status as classic. In my opinion, of course.
agreed, i've sat through it before and just watched it again before making this comment. It was a pretty awful match and certainly overated beyond any doubt.

·
The legend never dies
4,496 Posts
Wrestlemania X7 for me IMO i believe wrestlemania X-7 was the best of all time, and im guessing im not the only one thinking that, such great matches, TLC 2, Benoit vs Angle, Taker vs Trips, Rock Vs Austin, the triple Threat Hardcore match was even sick

1 - 20 of 29 Posts