Wrestling Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
Daniel Bryan's WWF World title win at WM 30. Definitely had that Cinderella feel, while clearly trying to once again recapture the pure magic of the Austin run up until WM XIV they still nailed it.

Austin in '97-98...Vince booked it perfectly. The Texas Rattlesnake was way over with the crowd and Vince added to it by openly saying that he had no intention of letting Austin become his champion. That was unheard of back then.

Ric Flair's run to the WCW World title in '93. The returning "Nature Boy", climbing back up the ladder in his home territory, and then colliding with Vader at Starrcade. Up until then, Vader had practically been seen as unstoppable and add to it the idea of Flair putting his career on the line added that much more to make that night special.

Jerry Lawler wins the AWA World title in 1988. This was booked as Lawler's last shot at being a champion, saying he was going to retire if he couldn't defeat Curt Hennig in his hometown. They also added to the drama for that match the battle between whether Lawler's mentor Jackie Fargo or Hennig's dad Larry would be the special referee for that match.

Ultimate Warrior in '89-90 to win the WWF title. Hulk Hogan was THE man for all this time in the WWF, but the fans loved Warrior also. The Ultimate Challenge was not a five-star wrestling match by any means, but the lead up to the encounter was pure gold and then the added touch of Hogan giving the belt to his opponent after losing was a moment for the ages.

·
Registered
12,699 Posts
Austin in 98: Micheals, Tyson, just great build and great payoff

Mankind in 99: his feud with the Corperation and the Rock all leading up to that epic moment on Raw with what's still considered one if not the biggest pops of all time

Austin in 01: His chemistry with the Rock, the battle of the real WWE champion, just a GOAT feud and really did feel like the match of the century

Bryan to Wrestlemania 30: GOAT just GOAT

·
Team Narcisse
7,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Great responses. Even a few I didn't think of while mulling over making the thread. I'm gonna name one that hasn't been listed yet but is in my top 10.

Sting's first title win 89-90. Started at GAB89 when Sting came out to save Flair from a Muta and Funk double team and ended up with Sting as a Horseman. Then they turned on him at COTC9. Flair's part at the end is just gold.
Sting was injured that night climbing up a cage and while i think it did damage the pacing of the story for him to be out as opposed to winning it at WrestleWar90, we still got a great moment at the end of the Flair vs Luger match with Sting coming out on crutches and the showdown finally happened at GAB and Sting got his first title.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts