Wrestling Forum banner

Favorite King from the "King of the Ring"?

• Don Muraco

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Harley Race

• Randy Savage

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • Ted DiBiase

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Tito Santana

• Bret Hart (twice)

Votes: 21 13.9%
  • Owen Hart

Votes: 19 12.6%
  • Mabel

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Steve Austin

Votes: 33 21.9%
  • Triple H

Votes: 7 4.6%
  • Ken Shamrock

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • Mr. Ass

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Kurt Angle

Votes: 24 15.9%
  • Edge

Votes: 7 4.6%
  • Brock Lesnar

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • Booker T

Votes: 17 11.3%
  • William Regal

Votes: 4 2.6%
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With Monday night's three-hour Raw special for the 2010 King of the Ring coming up, I thought it might be fun to look back at former "Kings" of the Ring.

Who made the best "King" and why? Several guys immediately changed their gimmick to a more "royal" one, including King Mabel, King Race, and King Booker. Others just used the night as a launchpad into super-stardom - Steve Austin and his promo on Jake Roberts chief among them.

So, with all due respect to Triple H, who is the real "King of Kings" in WWE history?

·
I must away and tend to my ravens
11,236 Posts
Gotta go with Owen, he was such a little shit with his King Of Harts gimmick and it was awesome :D Most guys who've adopted a King gimmick take it too far, Owen's was just about perfect.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
I'm going with Kurt because I think that he played it up so well and it really elevated him. Before the KOTR, he was wrestling against the likes of Rikishi and Too Cool. The next couple ppvs AFTER, he was wrestling The Undertaker, Triple H and was in a WWE title match with HHH and The Rock at SummerSlam. He really stepped up at that point, I think.

·
Asuka
96,572 Posts
Got to be Austin. Why? Well, aside from the fact that he's the best wrestler of all time, he has, by FAR, the most iconic King Of The Ring moment. No other King Of The Ring winner can say they changed wrestling forever with their moment. If you eliminated King Of The Ring from wrestling history, Austin would be the ONLY win that affected the product.

I did love King Kurt too, though, lol.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
I'll give my vote toward the "King of Harts" Owen Hart. Really he ran with that and the cockiness that went behind it was epic. Owen was one of the people that I really loved to hate after his KOTR win in 1994.

Steve Austin was a very close second. Just coming from his Austin 3:16 speech afterwords.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Given that winning that tournament gave birth to "Stone Cold", I'd have to say Austin. Also, Angle was good. I would've said Regal, because had he not been suspended during that push, he'd have become champion as a result of KOTR.

·
DELIRIUM
4,544 Posts
Austin. Cause without that Austin 3:16 speech, there wouldn't be Stone Cold Steve Austin. And without Austin, I probably wouldn't be a wrestling fan.

I also loved Owen, Angle (Remembers Kaentai saying "King...Kurt?") and Regal, though.

·
Asuka
96,572 Posts
Given that winning that tournament gave birth to "Stone Cold", I'd have to say Austin. Also, Angle was good. I would've said Regal, because had he not been suspended during that push, he'd have become champion as a result of KOTR.
WWE Champion? I love Regal, but that's HIGHLY doubtful. He was about as much of a main event prospect as Christian and Matt Hardy.

·
DELIRIUM
4,544 Posts
WWE Champion? I love Regal, but that's HIGHLY doubtful. He was about as much of a main event prospect as Christian and Matt Hardy.
Don't know if it's true, but I always remember reading somewhere that Regal was in fact in line to get a reign, but he didn't want the pressure. And the whole suspension thing.

Don' quote me on it, though.

·
P.O.P., hold it down
22,552 Posts
The best on the list is no doubt SCSA but as for my favorite it's definitely Kurt Angle.

·
Asuka
96,572 Posts
If you ask me, that just sounds like a typical IWC excuse to rationalize why one of the most versatile talents on the roster hasn't been given a main event spot like he should've had.

In fact, I remember they asked Kane, I think after he won the title, if there was any truth to those rumors over the years of him turning down a world title reign and he was like "why the hell would I do that?"

·
DELIRIUM
4,544 Posts
If you ask me, that just sounds like a typical IWC excuse to rationalize why one of the most versatle talents on the roster hasn't been given a main event spot like he should've had.
Yeah, that's why I said don't quote me, cause the IWC is totally reliable, you know.

But, I would have loved to see him get a World Title push after the KOTR win. He can still go in the ring, and his mic skills are still unmatched by 95% of the roster.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Owen Hart, without a doubt. He was the best heel king ever, the heat he had was incredible and he fit the roll perfectly.

Austin was really only interesting for historical reasons, if you go back and actually watch it the speech wasn't great and the crowd was dead.

·
Asuka
96,572 Posts
I watched Austin's speech the other day and it was great.

As far as dead goes, I hope that's not why everyone is voting for Owen...

·
Registered
213 Posts
I watched Austin's speech the other day and it was great.

As far as dead goes, I hope that's not why everyone is voting for Owen...
Austin was never a great wrestler and the Stone Cold character hadn't come into its own at that point.

When Owen won it not only was he one of the best (if not the best) wrestler in the business, his heel persona was also at it's peak.

I can't post links as a noob but look up Owens win on youtube. There's no comparison to stonecolds.

·
Registered
21,634 Posts
i'd go with Bret cos my first memories of the KOTR and of wrestling include KOTR '93 with him winning the crown.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts