Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
The One Who Knocks
5,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I'm sure most here can attest, clicking around Youtube can reunite you with some wonderful memories of bygone wrestling eras, so I thought it would be cool to share some of those finds. Specifically, promos from the Attitude Era.

For all the talk about how great 1998-2001 was, as I look back on it, 1997 really was the best product WWE has ever produced, in my opinion. A lot of it had to do with the developemnt of Steve Austin with promos like this one. I recall in an Austin thread on here someone made the asinine remark that Austin is only considered a good promo "because he said ass a lot." Obviously anyone with a functioning brain knows otherwise, and if you disagree, then I implore you to watch this and be proven wrong:

Anger. Intensity. Raw emotion. All fueled by his desire to prove he was the best wrestler and be world champion. Simple concept, right? Yet one WWE has completely forgotten how to convey. Just brilliant.

Please free share your own forgotten gems from the Attitude Era.

·
Mamba Mentality
26,071 Posts
Great thread idea.

Here's one with Rock and HHH

God, I loved the Rock/HHH rivalry. They complimented each other so well in their promos.

This is also an entertaining promo with Rock/Mankind/Al Snow. Rock acts like Al Snow is not even there. I love the little backstage promos the shows used to have before matches back then.

·
Premium Member
15,077 Posts
^Yeah, you won't ever let us forget any Rock promos.

Although not AE, I liked the promo Bret Hart did when he turned heel, I think after the WM 13 match.

·
The One Who Knocks
5,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
^ Great shout. Best promo of Bret's career in my opinion, and one of the best heel turn promos you're gonna find. It was just so logical it was hard to disagree with anything he said.

And the start date of the Attitude Era is quite subjective (there's another thread about it) but 1997 had so much great stuff I choose to include it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I wonder if any true frustrations with the company fueled Bret's promo

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Undertaker shoot promo.

·
The One Who Knocks
5,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here's a great Mick Foley promo from SummerSlam '98. This was when Mankind as a character was shifting toward being, as I believe Foley put it in his first book, "a washed up oaf." The way he just meanders around with his voice drifting in and out as he rambles about nothing is just so great in this promo.

Aside from the obvious "13 words" bit, the line about playing in traffic makes me laugh every time.

·
Premium Member
8,457 Posts
I may contribute later on but just want to say thanks for the thread and posts, half of these I hadn't seen before and it is a great watch. (Y) kudos.

·
Ho!
17,749 Posts
The birth of the Ministry of Darkness is one of my favorite AE promos, especially from The Undertaker.

And while technically it's not apart of the Attitude Era. Another one that came to mind was Brian Pillman's ECW debut promo at CyberSlam 1996.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5gooi_brian-pillman-debuts-at-ecw-cybersl_sport
Great promo by Taker and Paul. Here's another great one by him (not sure if it counts in the AE since it's 1997, but since the OP has one from 97 suppose this counts) :

·
FAKE HAPPY
12,536 Posts
This:

My favourite part is 10:01.

Favourite underrated quote: As far as The Rock is concerned... You are... And will forever be... An ASSHOLE *Rock Bottoms*.

·
Registered
8,365 Posts
Austin stunning Sgt Slaughter for the first time , the line where austin goes : "You come out here and talk about law and order , but what you don't understand JACKASS .."

it's his delivery of the word "Jackass" the makes me :lmao all the time

comedy gold from both mic and val , lol :D

The Rock and mic foley shine together again , audio is a bit messed up but funny nonetheless

Undertaker proves why he is massively underrated on the mic , short but sweets as hell , i love him shutting cole up

The Rock's best promo ever by far , it's a shame that people don't remember this gem and focus on stuff like him clowning billy gunn (which wasn't bad but got nothing on this promo) , it was before backlash 2000 :

my favourite Triple h or any heel promo ever , HHH proving why he is THE heel

·
Premium Member
15,077 Posts
I know some of these aren't from the official AE but I see others are including footage from pre-AE, so I figured it would be okay.

IMO, this was Bret Hart's promo, the only true promo of his that stands out to me (aside from the one he cut the next week, forming the Hart Foundation). Perfect way for Bret to turn heel the night after beating the brakes off Austin.

Week after that, Austin cuts one his best promos on Bret. The reason I say one of the best was because Austin was a tweener and his catchphrases weren't constantly blurted by the fans and IMO it made the promo even more intense and gave the effect that he legit hated Bret.

HBK in Canada. What else do I have to say?

More of a segment than an actual promo, but I liked how Tyson "swerved" everybody and joined DX.

Another one I enjoyed was HHH the night after WM 14 when X-Pac returned. I liked how HHH stepped up and took control of DX.

·
Ho!
17,749 Posts
comedy gold from both mic and val , lol :D

:lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao

Don't remember this at all, laughed harder than I have at anything WWE in a long time. I was in tears and thought I was about to die by laughter by the time he got to "I'm gonna reach in to your pants, pull it out and shove it down your throat!"

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Taker and HHH

Another Taker Segment lol

1 - 20 of 31 Posts