Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd have to say that mine was the beginning up until like 03-04.

Sure it was a rough start, since WCW had just been bought out, and WWE was starting their monopolization of the industry, but it was great. We saw people main event who hadn't quite had the chance (minus Jarrett, and maybe a couple more). What sticks out in my mind was Raven's debut. It was that moment right there when people really realized that TNA could go far. He was their first big acquisition (minus Jarrett, again) and he honestly kinda started them on their way. It was pretty cool to see. Of course, I wasn't going to order a PPV every week so I've only seen matches from them on youtube and stuff.

My next would have to be around the time Angle, Christian Cage, Rhyno and the like were main eventing. This is where TNA hit their stride as far as epic, 5 star matches came to play. Also very fun to watch.

·
Premium Member
43,881 Posts
I would say from the time they first got onto SpikeTV (October 2005) to about Bound for Glory 2006. The show was just phenomenal. Great angles & great wrestling from top to bottom.

Things I liked:

- Sting vs. Jarrett gave the show a storyline direction that actually showcased alot of young talent & was a nice over-encompassing story for the entire show.
- Christian as World Champ working with the likes of Abyss & Monty Brown with great results. The Abyss feud in particular was VERY good. Later on, his feud with Rhino was very good as well.
- Rhino & Abyss having wild & great hardcore matches.
- The X Division's highest point with AJ Styles, Samoa Joe, & Christopher Daniels lighting the World on Fire.
- Speaking of the X Division, can anybody say Paparazzi Productions? It was the most entertaining Nash had been in years & Sabin & Shelley really came into their own as characters.
- Tag Team Division with AMW, Team 3D (before they became stale again), Naturals, LAX, Team Canada, & the new duo of Styles & Daniels going all out. AMW vs. AJ/Daniels were some of my favorite matches of 2006 and even The James Gang vs. LAX feud had its moments. And then AJ/Daniels vs. LAX was a very violent & entertaining feud as well.
- Samoa Joe's Rise was very cool to follow and I loved his feud with Steiner. It was awesome to watch those two interact & the match shut alot of people up.
- Despite rushing the match way too soon, Angle vs. Joe was a very intense rivalry that made for great TV.

There were a few dumb things, most notably the X Division Jackass run (and like I said, they rushed Angle vs. Joe), but overall, I thought the show was well handled & very exciting.

And if we want to talk PPVs:
- Turning Point 2005 (one of the better TPs which says alot when looking at 04, 08, & 09)
- Against All Odds 2006 (Best AAO by far)
- Destination X 2006 (Best DX by far)
- Lockdown 2006 (Best LD by far)
- Sacrifice 2006
- Slammiversary 2006 (Best Slammy...but not by far)
- Bound for Glory 2006
- Genesis 2006 (Best Gen by far)

Those shows still rank high up there in my book as some of the best in company history. The only weak show was Victory Road, and that was only forgettable as opposed to stupid or horrible.

That year (October 2005-October 2006) was great for TNA & it was a highly entertaining show in almost every way.

·
Registered
12,737 Posts

TNA eras

NWA Era 2002- 2005

Expansion Era- 2006- 2009

WWE Lite Era- 2010- Present

the best of TNA 2002 to Dec 2005 before Sting and Russo comeback

·
GIANTS
2,647 Posts
There are really 2 eras that I consider to be my favorites:

1. BFG 2005-BFG 2006; Great storylines, great matches, and for the most part the right guys were pushed (Monty Brown says hi). Also the Jarrett/Sting feud is one of my favorites in the past 10 years, and Christian's heel turn was well done. BFG 2006 is by far the best PPV in TNA history in my opinion, AJ/Daniels vs. LAX, Sting/Jarrett, Monster's Ball, Cage/Rhino, and Kevin Nash's X-Gauntlet were all very entertaining. This was just a great period of wrestling, and the storylines all made sense!

2. BFG 2008-Slammiversary 2009; Probably the MEM/Frontline feud was the focal point of this era, and I enjoyed the beginning part of the MEM, but it got stale after Slammy 09. Joe/Sting at BFG 2008 remains one of my personal favorite matches, and Angle/Jarrett feud was very well done. Lashley debuting was a suprise, but really he was not booked properly in his TNA run. Angle winning Slammy was great, and the Joe heel turn was a suprise. Once again, this era had some interesting storylines and good matches.

·
Premium Member
15,438 Posts

Sure it was a rough start, since WCW had just been bought out, and WWE was starting their monopolization of the industry, but it was great. We saw people main event who hadn't quite had the chance (minus Jarrett, and maybe a couple more). What sticks out in my mind was Raven's debut. It was that moment right there when people really realized that TNA could go far. He was their first big acquisition (minus Jarrett, again) and he honestly kikiknda started them on their way. It was pretty cool to see. Of course, I wasn't going to order a PPV every week so I've only seen matches from them on youtube and stuff.

My next would have to be around the time Angle, Christian Cage, Rhyno and the like were main eventing. This is where TNA hit their stride as far as epic, 5 star matches came to play. Also very fun to watch.
I only started watching when Hogan came
lolz lyin on wrasslin' forumz is so cool bro!!! :rolleyes:

To answer the question Summer 2005 - End of 2006 was the best era for TNA.

·
Registered
10,592 Posts

Sure it was a rough start, since WCW had just been bought out, and WWE was starting their monopolization of the industry, but it was great. We saw people main event who hadn't quite had the chance (minus Jarrett, and maybe a couple more). What sticks out in my mind was Raven's debut. It was that moment right there when people really realized that TNA could go far. He was their first big acquisition (minus Jarrett, again) and he honestly kinda started them on their way. It was pretty cool to see. Of course, I wasn't going to order a PPV every week so I've only seen matches from them on youtube and stuff.

Yeah that's all well and good but Youtube wasn't around until 2005

·
Registered
46 Posts
My favourite period in TNA by far is the summer of 2005 up until Bound For Glory 2006. If I have this correct, that is the same period Scott D'Amore was head booker. The storylines flowed nicely and made sense, and action was largely superb.

How I yearn for that quality of product again. And to think, most of the players/officials who formed that booking committee under D'Amore (Mike Tenay, Terry Taylor, Jeremy Borash) are still with the company but have no creative involvement.

Pity

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
I have no favourite era at all. TNA has never done anything outstandingly good since I started watching Impact (early 2009) and I honestly don't believe they will anytime soon. The only thing they do is put on good/bad show week after week, but never something truly outstanding.

·
Registered
21,599 Posts
Mine is what I like to call the 'Bravo' era. It's whenever TNA started to air on the TV channel Bravo, that's when I started to really follow the product and I really enjoyed it. I watched it every week up until I went to uni (September '07), that's my personal fav era because it's the only time it interested me enough to want to watch it. When I went away to uni I missed watching it, but after a while I wasn't bothered and never attempted to catch up on what I missed, just catching the odd show until Hogan joined, then I began to watch again.

·
Banned
10,007 Posts
TNA is only a very young company so it's hard to really seperate it into true 'eras'. However, I will list my favourite years in order;

1. 2005
2. 2006 (Sting took away from it big time)
3. 2003 (2-hour weeklies were mindbogglingly insane but there was no 3-hour PPVs)
4. 2004 (Impact being one-hour, Nash, Hall, Savage ruined the 2nd half of the year)
5. 2002
6. 2010
7. 2007
8. 2009
9. 2008

It's a toss-up between 2005/06/03. 05/06 were phenomenal and it was a time when TNA was truly innovative and never bull-shitted the fans. There was no shitty womens wrestling and the X-Division was mind-blowing. A part of me wants to list 2003 as the best year because that too was fantastic. Raven, Jarrett, Styles, AMW, Abyss Sabin etc were unbelievable. Russo was the downfall of TNA and things went to shit until Hogan/Bischoff came in. Most of 2007, 2008 and most of 2009 was an unmitigated disaster. Far too many gimmick matches, dumb characters, two Knockout matches on PPV, MEM... but hey, this is supposed to be a positive thread about the good times to I will stop. 2010 has been great - really exciting with some fantastic moments. If it wasn't for the Knockout's this would be probably the 4th favourite year (still the X-Division lacks, though it's miles and miles ahead of what it was in 07/08/09) and the tag division also isn't as good.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts