Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As a big fan of technical wrestlers, one of my favorite spots has always been the arm wrench/wristlock exhange countered by rolling/kip ups/head stands. It seems like every single cruiserweight match in WCW featured this spot at least one time per match, and it really added to them.

5:43-6:12 is an example using head stands.

0:15-0:30 is an example using rolls and head stands.

Another one that I always liked was the tombstone piledriver reversal. This, also, was used a ton in WCW, ranging from cruiserweights to heavyweights.

2:43-2:53 is an example of cruiserweights performing the spot.

4:23-4:53 are two examples of bigger wrestlers performing the spot.

Another one that I really enjoyed was Wrestler A pushing Wrestler B into the ropes from behind, and Wrestler B grabbing the ropes, pushing Wrestler A back to the middle of the ring. A lot of these spots were so common, matches between the smaller guys feel a lot different nowadays.

As far as one time counters that aren't/weren't used on a regular basis, one of my favorites is Chris Benoit countering a Pedigree into a Crippler Crossface at Wrestlemania 20.

Starting at 4:40

What are some of your favorite counters?

·
Registered
290 Posts
Undertaker vs Ken Shamrock - Baclash 99

6:11 - Chokeslam reversal from Shamrock

This was one of the first Videos i brought when i started watching wrestling, i remember being shit scared of the ministry version of taker and being amazed when ken whipped out this old counter.

·
Premium Member
19,296 Posts
Ahh man, Dean Malenko... Those videos were great. One of the most underrated technicians of all time. This is a bit off topic, but I always loved the power moves usually used by heavyweights, being used by the WCW Crusierweights. Powerbomb variations, the Tombstone, etc.

·
Banned
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, I actually made the first Malenko video linked and the Sting video. I've always said that Dean Malenko is the smoothest technical wrestler there ever was, and he is my personal pick for the best technical wrestler of all-time. It's a shame that he was so dull outside of the ring, I think that is largely why he is overlooked.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts