Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
The face that runs the List
10,661 Posts
Re: Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald (November 16th, 2018)

Hyped no matter how stupid "Dumbledore needing a young guy who left Hogwarts before finishing his studies to defeat the most powerful villain around" sounds.

·
BIG KAIJU~
5,987 Posts

The first Fantastic Beasts Movie had me like yeah it's okay, but I don't wanna see a sequel. Now this Trailer alone made me think otherwise it seems very dark compared to the first film. I don't know maybe this is just me being a nerd for Harry Potter, but it's it prohibited from apparition onto the school’s grounds? Pretty much it's the ability to teleport, so that first shot had me wondering I guess rules aren't being followed at that time lol. Since the first film I really dug into the research on the relationship with Dumbledore and Grindelwald, and I don't want to give it away for new watchers, but it's some damn good stuff and I hope we get to see it done in the right way.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts

I was lukewarm on the first one, but this, this looks good.

Now, replace Newt with young Dumbledore and Im all in.

·
Won't shut up about Peyton Royce
17,649 Posts

I honestly wasn't expected much from the 1st one, but I enjoyed more than I thought I would and this one looks better. I just hope we get the epic Dumbledore/Grindewald battle in this or one of the sequels. Too bad they changed Farrell for Depp at the end of the first movie, Johnny looks ridiculous.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts

The first Fantastic Beasts Movie had me like yeah it's okay, but I don't wanna see a sequel. Now this Trailer alone made me think otherwise it seems very dark compared to the first film. I don't know maybe this is just me being a nerd for Harry Potter, but it's it prohibited from apparition onto the school’s grounds? Pretty much it's the ability to teleport, so that first shot had me wondering I guess rules aren't being followed at that time lol. Since the first film I really dug into the research on the relationship with Dumbledore and Grindelwald, and I don't want to give it away for new watchers, but it's some damn good stuff and I hope we get to see it done in the right way.
i think that rule about teleport into school was put into place after Dumbledore battle with Grindelwald. i could be miss remembering tho

·
Registered
12,723 Posts

I'm not sure how they're going to stretch the Grindelwald storyline over five more movies, but still I'm mad excited for this.

I think Jude Law as a young Dumbledore was damn near perfect casting and I hope he plays the character more along the lines of how Richard Harris played it oppose to Michael Gambon. No offense to the latter but I didn't really enjoy his interpretation of Dumbledore. Harris, and from what we saw in the trailer, Law seem to be playing it closer to the Dumbledore we saw in the books.

I think it boils down to Gambon being a little to up front about Dumbledore's Machiavellian side, where as Harris and, again from what we've seen Law, can play Dumbledore more as a sweet kind hearted man who you're shocked to find has that dark Machiavellian side to him.

·
Registered
5,281 Posts

I'm not sure how they're going to stretch the Grindelwald storyline over five more movies, but still I'm mad excited for this.
I mean in the backstory given for him in the Harry Potter series proper he ends up being basically magical Hitler at the height of his power when Dumbledore finally defeats him.

The way the President lady in the first of these films refers to his 'attacks in Europe' it made it sound like that film took place just as he was starting to earn a name and reputation for himself.

I figure there's a lot that happens in between that point and his ultimate defeat.

·
Banned
28,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Given all the controversy swirling around the Johnny Depp casting it's possible they might cut Grindewald's story short. Or figure out a magical way to re-cast the role or bring back Colin Farrell. Unless Warner Bros is banking on it all subsiding by the time the movie is released but given today's current climate I think the furore will only increase.

·
Indeed
16,945 Posts

I doubt they're going to recast Depp or cut Grindelwald's story short, as Grindelwald is basically the catalyst for this entire series. Newt is going to become a minor character later on (as per JK Rowling), so the main focus will be on Dumbledore and Grindelwald.

The first film surprised me. I was not expecting much from it, but I enjoyed it. Hopefully this one follows suit.

·
Registered
12,723 Posts

I mean in the backstory given for him in the Harry Potter series proper he ends up being basically magical Hitler at the height of his power when Dumbledore finally defeats him.

The way the President lady in the first of these films refers to his 'attacks in Europe' it made it sound like that film took place just as he was starting to earn a name and reputation for himself.

I figure there's a lot that happens in between that point and his ultimate defeat.
I'm not denying there's a big story to tell, but still 7 movies is a LOT of screen time. I can't see him being the main villain for all seven movies. Voldemort was only the main bad guy for three of the seven Harry Potter books.

·
BIG KAIJU~
5,987 Posts

Yeah I might like the Second Film a little more than the first one that's just me. I thought the last act when it comes to Credence, and Seraphina especially was handled so great and Newt was better this time around than in the first film. Grindelward vs Voldemort just based on who a smarter bad guy it's Grindelward and it's not even close. If you say to Voldemort he kills you on the spot, Grindelward knows how to pull all the right strings and get people towards his side and it was beautifully done in this film he got want he wanted. I can't wait for the next film because Dumbledore is the only man who will be able to beat him and the big question here is...

Credence who is the fuck are you pimp? Like I'm pretty sure Grindelward created a fake Phoenix to make you believe you are a Dumbledore, and you've never said about in any of the info from the lore. I think Credence is a descendant of Salazar Slytherin as the way he spoke “Nagini” in the movie sounded like the tone of parseltounge and I also think credence is somehow related to Tom Riddle as Nagini really cares about credence and maybe later on Nagini met Tom and saw a piece of credence in tom so that’s why she always sticks by Tom’s side.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts

Sucked

·
The face that runs the List
10,661 Posts
I tried my best, watched the first one (which I like very much) a few hours before, but I didn't understand shit.

So many subplots, name-droppings and plot holes... Very disappointed, and seeing how Rowling killed her own saga's timeline is even sadder.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts