Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
More Than Meets the Eye
6,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has Legacy's push been completely wasted?

Deadline to hand in your debate will be Thursday July 9th. Failure to show will result in an automatic disqualification. As previously mentioned, your debates are to be posted in this thread only.

You have the option to choose your own side of the topic so you may debate the same side without consequence.

Good luck.

·
Hug Like a Champ
8,501 Posts
Has Legacy’s Push Been Wasted?

No, it has not.

A short while after their inception as a tag team, Cody Rhodes and Ted Dibiase, Jr. were almost looking like the perfect fit to tag along with a returning Randy Orton in late 2008. The talk was rampant and the rumors were flying that it was going to happen; it was just a matter of the trigger being pulled. And soon after it was, people got their wish and ‘The Legacy’ was created – Randy Orton, the leader of the group, aiming to once again be WWE Champion, alongside Ted DiBiase, Jr. and Cody Rhodes: two rookies in the business looking to get higher up in the spotlight.

And it’s been working ever since. Orton’s quest to become Champion eventually paid itself off at Backlash (little later than it should have) and has DiBiase and Rhodes along with him to do the work necessary to keep him as Champion. Also, DiBiase and Rhodes are kept in the spotlight and are thus developing and becoming better as they progress. Evidence of obvious development can be seen from this past Monday’s Raw when DiBiase wrestled Randy Orton in possibly one of DiBiase’s best matches in his young career. The potential is obviously there and it should be shown more often as time progresses and as this stable stays together.

One could argue that maybe DiBiase and Rhodes aren’t getting enough spotlight so then that would mean that the push has been wasted. But if the term ‘Legacy’ is going to be used in this debate then justifiably the topic at hand should be the entire group and if I am misunderstanding this question then so be it. DiBiase and Rhodes’ possible inactivity within their own ranks may be a problem but they have done the job of assisting Orton on numerous occasions such as the Royal Rumble, at The Bash and numerous run-ins on Raw. And that is what their purpose has been thus far in the group.

The push itself has not been wasted because Orton is still the WWE Champion and has two guys to help him out and DiBiase and Rhodes remain in the spotlight and develop more because they have the time to do so due to the fact that they are involved with a high-profile superstar.

·
Premium Member
32,163 Posts

For me, no not at all.

The fact of the matter is that as a group they are the main focus of WWE's number one show, Raw. As long as they're the main feature of Raw there's no way in my opinion that you can say their push has been wasted.

Could their push have been done better though? Arguably, yes.

I wont let my personal preference towards them as a group or individuals affect my debate, so I'll remain neutral for this. Their feud with the McMahons and Triple H has been the number one feud in WWE as of late. I'm not saying the best feud but it's the most high profile feud. Orton is the biggest heel in the company at the moment and along with Cena, Trips is the number one face. Putting Orton in a long feud with a high profile main event guy like Triple H is hardly a waste of push. It may not be as effective as hoped, but not a waste. People seem to forget that Orton is WWE Champion as well. The number one belt on the number one show in the number one company in the world. Anybody's push that involves them holding that honor has obviously not been wasted.

Almost a year ago at Night Of Champions 2008, the team of Cody Rhodes & Ted DiBiase Jr. were introduced to the world when Cody turned on his then tag team partner and one half of the World Tag Team Champions, Hardcore Holly. Their push as part of "Legacy" didn't really take off on until the start of this year however. In the time between then other circumstances such as Orton's injury and Ted filming a film held up the group's big push. When Ted returned after being kayfabe taken out by Orton, the group finally started to take off. Manu and Sim Snuka were drafted in while Ted was out seeing as they were also 3rd generation superstars, which the theme of the group is but were booted out upon Ted's return. From there Cody & Ted started to become main event players and along with Orton were the feature of most Raw's and PPV's. Wherever Orton was, so were Cody & Ted.

Now this was brilliant for getting Ted and Cody over as heels and pushing them. How better to get two young heels over then to put them in a stable with the biggest heel in the entire company. Being beside Orton and essentially doing his dirty work they got natural heel heat and started to become recognised as more than just another tag team. There's no way that together without Orton they would have been able to get anywhere near this big a push to the main event scene. They would just be a good heel tag team in a nothing tag division.

So has their push been wasted? Absolutely not. Since the group started their massive push together, Orton has become the biggest heel in the company undoubtedly. In the space of 6 months, he's taken out Batista, Triple H, Stephanie McMahon, Shane McMahon and even THE BOSS, Vince McMahon. Now anyone who takes out Vince and both his children (essentialy the entire on-screen McMahon family), not to mention Batista & Triple H as part of their push is obviously been pushed right and thus the push not wasted. Oh and not to mention that he's been WWE Champion since Backlash, minus 8 days and he was in the title picture AND the biggest feud currently in the company since after No Way Out. Granted the feud and Orton's title reign haven't been amazing but the question isn't has Legacy's push been well used or executed. It is has it been wasted.

So in conclusion and to answer the question, Has Legacy's push been completely wasted? No, not at all. Randy Orton is WWE Champion and two young upcoming stars in Ted DiBiase Jr. and Cody Rhodes have been quickly elevated to the main event scene with success. As a group they are the main spotlight of the number one show, PPVs and the company as a whole. Whether the push has been worthwile or come off on screen well is a different matter but they've clearly acheived what they wanted to in the groups push and that was to cement them as a dominant stable and the biggest heels in the company which they have done.

·
Premium Member
23,217 Posts

No, not completely. Has it been wasted to some degree? I think so.

The two main purposes of a faction are to exert a sense of dominance and elevate the talent within the group and for my money Legacy hasn't had substantial success in either area. Sure Orton is WWE Champion and Rhodes and DiBiase are beginning to make names for themselves (which is why I say the push hasn't been completely wasted), but have any of them really grown in credibility? Rhodes and DiBiase get their asses kicked by just about every babyface who wants a title shot and have lost matches in embarrassingly convincing fashion for guys who are supposed to be 2nd generation stars building their legacies. Orton's booking has been inconsistent and this group hasn't enabled him to take that next step in his career like everyone thought it would when he took out Vince and won the Rumble at the start of the year.

Don't get me wrong though, it hasn't been all bad. It's given Cody and Ted experience and exposure that they wouldn't have gotten without Legacy. They've main evented Raws, made PPV appearances and put their names on the WWE map. Over the past few months they've laid a solid foundation for their careers but I still don't think this push has elevated them the way it should have, the way Evolution elevated Legacy's current leader. All three members have benefited from the push but not to a great enough extent for me to fully validate it.

If this debate sounds indecisive and inconsistent that's because that's exactly how Legacy has been booked. One minute Orton's the mega heel he has the potential to be, the next he looks like one of the weakest champions in recent memory. One day Rhodes and DiBiase are having a great showing on PPV in a WWE title match involving Triple H and Batista, the next they're losing in 4 minutes on Raw.

In conclusion, Legacy's push hasn't been completely wasted and there has been some upside, but for the most part I've been disappointed with the outcome.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts