Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fair play to this man. I never was a fan but in the last 12 months I have really come round to him. If not a fan who likes him, I certainly respect him and I'm kind of a microcosm of the "WWE Universe". Half and half if you will.

First, to go back to July, Money in the Bank v Punk was in my opinion the best match in the last 12 months. A true 5 star, with, it has to be said a few credible competitors - HHH v Taker springs to mind. The fact he lost too was brilliant and I'm so glad they played that storyline to conclusion.

Second, his feud with the Rock was great. I have to salute him in that he held his own to an extent with the undoubted master of the mic the Rock. Albeit in the Raw in front of his home crowd, he still had to be given the edge in that particular exchange. His match with the Rock was great too and he then lost that as well. Two major PPV defeats to "SuperCena".

Third, Extreme Rules. What can I say? I've watched his match twice now and all I can say is take a bow son. This match truly lived up to the "Extreme" build up. The injuries seem legit (ie not planned and real). Note I said "seem". I've seen a thread on here debating whether it was planned etc. Anyway, it's safe to say he got his shit kicked in and gave everything to make the match (and the PPV) live up to its billing. Great PPV altogether but what a main event.

All in all I think that in the last 12 months he has really earned my respect. His wrestling skills often come into question but he consistently puts on brilliant matches. I know that he or course couldn't do it without great opponents but then neither could they. As I said he is a good talent on the microphone and cutting promos and his "speech" after Extreme Rules seemed "real". I think WWE has finally started to come up with some good progression and development concerning him whether all details were planned or not. Hats off.

Reactions: CFL

·
Registered
79 Posts
He/They need to change his look for most people to start to take him seriously. He may be a wrestling god on the mic and in the ring but if you look like a cartoon character you're still going to come off as fake.

·
Registered
22,514 Posts
He's a good wrestler, he's great on the microphone but I'm not gonna respect him until he listens to the fans that have been begging him for a change.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Cena needs to get out of the unstoppable superhero we have known since 2006. Is it wrong to want the John Cena from back in 2003 to even 2005 (he was already a face in 05' but still funny and interesting)

·
THE ONE.
5,323 Posts
I give him props for the match with Brock no doubt, it was brutal and Cena left it all out their.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Does Cena use backstage power to not let anyone win over him and not make him look weak?
Cause it kinda looks like it.
No, I genuinely don't think Cena has any kind of ego or anything like that. He seems like a really good guy with all his charity work. It'd be more like WWE writers trying to protect their top face. Which, arguably, they don't have to do all that often. Cena's not going to lose any credibility.

·
Banned
882 Posts
He's a good wrestler, he's great on the microphone but I'm not gonna respect him until he listens to the fans that have been begging him for a change.
Which fans, those who don't call themselves fans in the first place? Cena's true fans love him, they still cheer him and they buy his merch. They are the only ones who matter. And if Vince did everything according to fans wishes, he would have lost his business years ago.

Reactions: Eggs

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
Which fans, those who don't call themselves fans in the first place? Cena's true fans love him, they still cheer him and they buy his merch. They are the only ones who matter. And if Vince did everything according to fans wishes, he would have lost his business years ago.
(Y)

·
Registered
227 Posts
So you're saying Cena's boring, stale babyface as 7 years is doing good for the business??????????? You gotta be kidding me.
Its bad enough that WWE wants to make Cena as being same position as Hogan/Stone Cold/Rock with the expense of buring whoel Raw roster for 7 years. (which failed horribly btw)
Have you ever thought that if Cena didnt have superman gimmick and if WWE focused on other wrestlers instead of feeding Cena every single time that the busines may have been better?

·
Premium Member
15,182 Posts
So you're saying Cena's boring, stale babyface as 7 years is doing good for the business??????????? You gotta be kidding me.
Its bad enough that WWE wants to make Cena as being same position as Hogan/Stone Cold/Rock with the expense of buring whoel Raw roster for 7 years. (which failed horribly btw)
Have you ever thought that if Cena didnt have superman gimmick and if WWE focused on other wrestlers instead of feeding Cena every single time that the busines may have been better?
And turning Cena heel won't make the overall business better. If they hot shot it, like many on here want, you are left with a empty spot for Cena's main babyface rival. WWE has to trust in their younger stars to make the business better and looking back in history about how certain guys can't lay off the drugs, have bad attitudes or just don't have the total package, it's no surprise that WWE hasn't had faith in anybody other than the same 2 guys who have been on top for the past 7-8 years.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
I like Cena. Great on the mic, ultra charismatic, widely underrated in the ring.

But his goddamn character. I don't even wanna start because this is something that I've discussed about a million times.
But just give this guy a change in character. Not even a full fledged heel, just give me something edgier, not so kid friendly.
But in the end, it's all about the money. And if Cena still pours money into the company with his stale character, then good for Vince.

·
SWAG/SPICE
26,780 Posts
At this point, you can't take anything away from the man, at least imo, but he should try to switch it up down the line, for the sake new stars blowing up to being big time names like himself, hell, even Orton has fallen drastically. ER was really the greatest brink for me when it came to Cena. I mean I won't lie, I was pretty baffled by Lesnar losing his first match back, but Cena's speech afterwards and just the match it self, Cena is truly something.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
He's horrible in everything and has destroyed the product. The only thing he does is sell t-shirts to children, everything else (ratings, buyrates) has gone to hell during his diabolical reign. He is horrible on the mic (some of the worst promos i've ever seen , unbearable really), extremely mediocre in the ring , can't sell shit even if his life depended on it , has no charisma whatsoever (no wonder he has flopped as an actor despite wwe huge effort to make him at least a minor star, with movies that had a much bigger budget than the usual wwe crap and some decent people associated with them like Renny Harlin ) and dresses like an 18 year old when he is pushing 40 . Dreadful simply dreadful...

·
Registered
110 Posts
lol at all the people saying he's good or underrated in the ring.

Open your eyes next time you watch him. He is genuinely awful. Always has been and always will be.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts