Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Now THAT is a shared moment...
781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just deleted my facebook today on a whim. It came from me thinking why I even had a facebook in the first place. When I couldn't think of a good reason, I up and deleted it.

That got me to thinking, why do people use facebook?

Now don't get me wrong, I have nothing against Facebook. I just really don't see the point. If someone could explain it to me in a way that makes sense, I'd get it. But I really don't get it.

·
No Biggie Mr. Smalls
5,510 Posts
Keep in touch with people they have not seen in a while. That and texting is basically how I keep in touch with my friends who went away to school. Oh and plus you can stalk your ex's.

·
3,246 Posts
My facebook has been pretty dead lately because twitter has taken over, but I still like to get up there see how everyones doing, joke on someone's picture etc..

·
Registered
856 Posts
easy and inpersonal... right
It's hard to keep in touch with your family when some live in one place and others live in other places. Same with friends. I have some old friends from high school or previous jobs who I can keep in contact with through facebook. I would argue that it isn't too impersonal. You can see everyones updates and pictures and everything. It's definitely nice for me.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Aside from the entirely reasonable practical aspect, I strongly believe people love to try and control how others see them. Facebook allows them to do that; they feel like they can portray themselves in a very particular manner.

Often they seem to do exactly the opposite.

I'm slightly retarded on these things though as I have never had a social website profile.

·
Banned
858 Posts
People like to feel important and interesting. There aren't many better ways to tell the whole world that you're going out to get a sandwich and with the "like" button you can instantly gauge how cool that sandwich makes you.

·
Registered
807 Posts
As people have said it's easy to keep in contact with family and friends who aren't near you. And free, unlike calling someone.

·
I'm a Christian
699 Posts
As people have said it's easy to keep in contact with family and friends who aren't near you. And free, unlike calling someone.
This, also I only have people I actually talk too weekly on my facebook, pointless in being a friend whore and having people you never speak too.

·
Rated PG
3,485 Posts
Now don't get me wrong, I have nothing against Facebook. I just really don't see the point. If someone could explain it to me in a way that makes sense, I'd get it. But I really don't get it.
Well can you explain the purpose of this thread?
You deleted your facebook so what do you want from us? To explain why we haven't?

I think you just want to look like a "rebel".
Every has FB but not you!!! FIGHT THE POWER!

·
Now THAT is a shared moment...
781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I can understand using it to keep in touch with people that due to geographical differences it makes normal means of communication difficult. That's actually the reason I got a facebook in the first place.

I guess I just saw one to many status updates about shit that I really don't care about that I just got bored with it. I mean, do you really need to know that the girl who sat next to you in Algebra freshman year for one semester "just got home from the mall, it was a blast".

Well can you explain the purpose of this thread?
You deleted your facebook so what do you want from us? To explain why we haven't?

I think you just want to look like a "rebel".
Every has FB but not you!!! FIGHT THE POWER!
That's right. I wanted to rebel so I deleted my facebook. But being a rebel means nothing if there's noone there to see it. Unfortunately I already deleted my facebook, so I wasn't able to make a status change notifying "the world" of what a rebel I was, so I had to make this thread to let everyone know what a cool fucking rebel I was. :flip

·
Premium Member
15,438 Posts
I have one, but rarely sign in. I have deleted my facebook/remade it a couple times after feeling it was useless/getting fed up with it for whatever reason. Personally I don't find it that important. Most of my close friends don't really even use computers or have a facebook. I text/see those that I am close to regularly so yeah it's really not that necessary.

·
Rated PG
3,485 Posts
That's right. I wanted to rebel so I deleted my facebook. But being a rebel means nothing if there's noone there to see it. Unfortunately I already deleted my facebook, so I wasn't able to make a status change notifying "the world" of what a rebel I was, so I had to make this thread to let everyone know what a cool fucking rebel I was. :flip
Ok mate.

Well on topic.
I have FB to get in contact with people. Sometimes it easier then texting.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Ok mate.

Well on topic.
I have FB to get in contact with people. Sometimes it easier then texting.
Same here it'a free and I hardly ever have credit on my phone so I do use my account occasionally.

·
Registered
6,319 Posts
As a musician, I find it's a great tool for promoting upcoming gigs and stuff like that. Also, no limit on how many songs you can upload, which is great for me as I seem to be pulling songs out of my ass at the moment. Also, saves me going on MSN to talk to people.
This is why. There's nothing quite like being able to instantly inform hundreds of people when, where and with who you're playing, especially when you're booking gigs at short notice. It's an invaluable tool, to be honest.

On a personal note, keeping in touch with people I wouldn't usually see otherwise, and posting funny pictures and videos on peoples walls. That, and cute drunk girl/beach holiday girl photos.

·
Ichi Bakayaro
9,086 Posts
It's an easy way to keep in touch with family and friends.
This.

As a musician, I find it's a great tool for promoting upcoming gigs and stuff like that. Also, no limit on how many songs you can upload, which is great for me as I seem to be pulling songs out of my ass at the moment. Also, saves me going on MSN to talk to people.
This too. Being able to drop a Soundcloud or YouTube link is such a convenient way of sharing my music with people. It's also amazing for networking. Those are the main reasons I use FB.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts