Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator Going Backwards With WF
33,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:bunk

EXCLUSIVE: Paramount Pictures is giving a face lift to Face/Off, the 1997 John Woo-directed action thriller that starred John Travolta and Nicolas Cage. The studio will reboot the film, with new cast. Oren Uziel has been set to write the script, and Neal Moritz will produce and David Permut will be executive producer.

Given a fairly preposterous-sounding premise, the original film was a wild ride. Travolta played FBI agent Sean Archer, who is obsessed with catching a homicidal sociopath named Castor Troy, who is responsible for killing the fed’s son. The agent undergoes facial transplant surgery and takes the mug of his nemesis so he can be sent to prison to find out the bomb’s whereabouts and stop an attack. The plan goes awry when the bad guy wakes up and takes the face of the FBI agent. Soon, the new-faced Castor visits the agent with the villainous face and takes glee in taunting him, telling him that the face surgeons have been killed, that the good guy is stuck with the face he hates most, and that the villain is going home to bed his wife and take over his home life. It escalates into a series of choreographed action sequences, and by the time it was over, the film became Woo’s biggest his with a $245 million global gross. Mike Werb and Michael Colleary wrote the original.

Uziel’s credits range from 22 Jump Street to The Cloverfield Paradox and Sonic the Hedgehog. Deal gives Paramount the opportunity to exploit its library, which it has done with Mission: Impossible film series and the upcoming Top Gun: Maverick.

Writ Large and Myman Greenspan Fox rep Uziel.
Face/Off worked because of Cage, Travolta, and John Woo. Since this will presumably have none of them involved, why? I know nobody should be surprised by yet another Hollywood reboot, but ya know.

And I appreciate I don't have to watch it so it won't really matter, but it's still worth bringing up.

·
Banned
76 Posts
Hope they don't make the mistake of other reboots which is thinking the plot devise was the only factor.

Hope they don't sell this movie based on the operation only. while the operation scene and premise of the movie with the face switching was key, it was the story about the murder of the protagonist son and how it made him obsessed enough to stop the antagonist terrorism.

·
There is no duty we so much underrate as... being
19,029 Posts

No more drugs for that/those Hollywood executive(s).

Reactions: HiddenFlaw

·
tombstone blues
14,293 Posts
:heston :heston :heston :heston :heston :heston

this made me laugh

Face/Off is one of the worst movies ever made.
Hey, Face/Off is as good as a D-tier action thriller starring John Travolta :heyman6 and Nicolas Cage :heyman6 could be

So of course it needs a remake!

Reactions: MrMister

·
You need to be yourself, you can't be no-one else.
7,174 Posts
I always thought that movie was generally a watchable mess. The story was fucking ridiculous. It was only really Cage and Travolta that made it half way decent. The movie itself is actually pretty crap. I have only ever felt the desire to watch it again if it comes on the TV.

I mean it looked shit how they could have their faces swapped but somehow still retain the exact same bodies to the point that it was simply unbelievable. I mean if you stuck travoltas face on cage's body it would look weird as fuck and vise versa. You would notice it a mile off. They are two very different looking people. I mean its amazing how they even end up with the perfect looking haircuts and cage remembers to style Travolta's hair just like he wears it. Travolta even shows up at the end of the movie like nothing happened, not even so much as a dodgy trim.

I guess the concept was somewhat novel but yeah, just a very average movie imo.

·
I'm the world's greatest superhero. I can do whate
20,612 Posts
Face/Off was an awesome movie. I have no plans to see a reboot though. They nailed it perfectly the first time.

·
Registered
12,862 Posts
I think the producers have to go all in on the “so bad it’s good” philosophy.

I suggest casting Chris Pratt and Dave Bautista in the main rolls.

:p

·
The Mouth of Madness!
10,872 Posts
Coming this Summer....*GUN COCKS*....De Niro.....*EXPLOSION*.......Pacino.....*MANIACAL LAUGHTER*

FACE/OFF

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Still extremely entertaining to watch after all these years.

Cage was at his absolute peak. Able to play a completely larger than life, psychopathic, killer in the first 20 minutes. Then be totally believable as a heroic, grounded, confident avenger for the rest of the movie.

Travolta was really good playing a burned out, yet willing to stop at nothing hero in the first 20 minutes. Then switch over to "cool Travolta" who smokes, seduces, and kills without mercy in the second half.

The plot was and still is ridiculous, but the two leads and their performances carried that movie.

It could still work if they used superb actors like Tom Hardy and Leonardo DiCaprio. But those actors would never sign on for a role like this, because it's beneath them, and was done very well the first time. There's no reason to try to top it

1 - 18 of 18 Posts