Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Asuka
96,233 Posts
God, SmackDown REALLY needs something going for it. It's turning into TNA. Maybe they ought to consider drafting Cena to SmackDown for about 6 months. Raw is established enough to not suffer too much, especially with Triple H in a position of power, but SmackDown is really in the dumps right now.

Well, it's their own fault. When you build a show around Randy Orton, Sheamus, Mark Henry and Cody Rhodes, that's what happens.

·
There is no duty we so much underrate as... being
18,790 Posts
Those first two pictures seem a little misleading. I find it remarkably difficult to believe WWE would have tons of seats there that nobody would sit in. It looks like those pics are taken well before the show begins. As such, I'd ignore those empty blue seats you're seeing.

The tarping, though? Yeah. That's bad. Really bad. I was expecting this. Smackdown was taped last night in Dayton, Ohio, wasn't it? Which is just down the freeway from Toledo, Ohio, where they had one of the worst attendances for any show all year long, two weeks back. Bad booking on WWE's part, Ohio is saturated and they probably split some of the same population center(s) along that freeway, making many choose between either show, or perhaps opting to go to neither since Smackdown doesn't seem like the priority show.

I do believe the attendance last week in Toronto was very solid, though; no surprise there.

Smackdown is hurting overall, however.

·
Registered
6,408 Posts
That is sad indeed. Smackdown needs more starpower if they ever think they will get their attendance up.

·
Plotting time travel mission.
8,641 Posts
There is really nothing to look forward to on Smackdown. There is no major storyline plus "Mark freaking Henry" is main eventing. The guy didn't stand out from 1999 to 2011. I'm sure people could care less. The only thing Smackdown has going on is Sin Cara v Sin Cara which should be worrying. Plus am I the only one who is sick of hearing Teddy Long on Smackdown? Why not replace with with Mick Foley or some other legend. Also get Cole off Smackdown, we hear him on RAW already. Why not get Joey Styles, Matt striker or somebody else to replace Cole.

Smackdown is literally like this every week

-Randy Orton is in the World title picture and fights who ever is the top heel. No storyline development at all.

-Christian whines about not being Champion

-Sheamus squashes a superstar, but no storyline behind it

-Daniel Bryan loses a match to either Sin Cara

-Sin Cara 1 is wondering why there is another Sin Cara

- A random Divas match

- A random tag team match

-Teddy Long says "Playa" "Holla" Holla" "Tag Team match"

-Wade Barret is as directionless as a guy lost in the amazon

-Cody Rhodes tells the crowd they are ugly and hand out paper bags.

Really?

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Those first two pictures seem a little misleading. I find it remarkably difficult to believe WWE would have tons of seats there that nobody would sit in. It looks like those pics are taken well before the show begins. As such, I'd ignore those empty blue seats you're seeing.
Pictures 1 and 2 look like they're looking up towards behind commentary, even ignoring the empty blue seats, that's still a massive amount of tarping. I'm not sure how long it will be before it is noticed on TV, you may be able to spot it if the announcers are doing a piece to the camera unless they change the angles a bit so you don't see the tarp off.

I imagine for some of the mid-carders it can't be good for the morale performing in front of half an arena in effect.

·
18,790 Posts
Oh, yeah, it's bad. A number of Smackdowns have lately been 1/2-full arenas and in the case of Toledo and perhaps now Dayton, even worse than that.

There was a show, I believe in Roanoke, Virginia (?) back in June where the attendance was rather awful, too.

The melange of practically zero starpower and no reliable, proven draws (in the case of Mistico, for WWE's American audience) with having Smackdown frequently take place in some of the more economically-struggling areas that are also saturated from WWE's constant road tours seems to be the most potent audience-killer. The bottom line, though, is that Smackdown is now nakedly viewed as the B-show, and for most WWE fans, it's Randy Orton and everybody else on that program.

WWE is finding itself in a pickle, because it becomes awfully difficult to "create stars" in such an environment. To me, it's one viable argument for the Raw SuperShow business, because at least guys like Cody Rhodes and Sheamus get to appear on Raw with more eyeballs on them via TV and more warm bodies in the building live. Problem, though, is that you're only further disincentivizing Smackdown attendance, since if you have a choice between a Raw or Smackdown show, you'll note that guys like Cody and Sheamus are on Raw, too, anyway, so why even bother with Smackdown? So, perhaps it's actually a long-term solution, so long as you actually create some stars and potential drawing forces on Raw to be on Smackdown in the future, but it's not a short-term solution to Smackdown's problems in the least.

·
SWAG/SPICE
26,780 Posts

The tarping, though? Yeah. That's bad. Really bad. I was expecting this. Smackdown was taped last night in Dayton, Ohio, wasn't it? Which is just down the freeway from Toledo, Ohio, where they had one of the worst attendances for any show all year long, two weeks back. Bad booking on WWE's part, Ohio is saturated and they probably split some of the same population center(s) along that freeway, making many choose between either show, or perhaps opting to go to neither since Smackdown doesn't seem like the priority show.

I do believe the attendance last week in Toronto was very solid, though; no surprise there.

Smackdown is hurting overall, however.
Good point, but I still find it very stupid that they add SD stars to Raw, and not the other way around. Rock to return to his show, ASAP, BOOK IT!!!

·
Plotting time travel mission.
8,641 Posts
Oh, yeah, it's bad. A number of Smackdowns have lately been 1/2-full arenas and in the case of Toledo and perhaps now Dayton, even worse than that.

There was a show, I believe in Roanoke, Virginia (?) back in June where the attendance was rather awful, too.

The melange of practically zero starpower and no reliable, proven draws (in the case of Mistico, for WWE's American audience) with having Smackdown frequently take place in some of the more economically-struggling areas that are also saturated from WWE's constant road tours seems to be the most potent audience-killer. The bottom line, though, is that Smackdown is now nakedly viewed as the B-show, and for most WWE fans, it's Randy Orton and everybody else on that program.

WWE is finding itself in a pickle, because it becomes awfully difficult to "create stars" in such an environment. To me, it's one viable argument for the Raw SuperShow business, because at least guys like Cody Rhodes and Sheamus get to appear on Raw with more eyeballs on them via TV and more warm bodies in the building live. Problem, though, is that you're only further disincentivizing Smackdown attendance, since if you have a choice between a Raw or Smackdown show, you'll note that guys like Cody and Sheamus are on Raw, too, anyway, so why even bother with Smackdown? So, perhaps it's actually a long-term solution, so long as you actually create some stars and potential drawing forces on Raw to be on Smackdown in the future, but it's not a short-term solution to Smackdown's problems in the least.
I find it strange that they don't send many RAW stars to appear on Smackdown. Why not have John Cena, CM Punk, and a few other appear just to make Smackdown seem important.

·
18,790 Posts
Well... One of the basic problems that the brand extension was supposed to solve was overexposure. Having Cena on both shows every week could get old for the viewing audience. Not to mention, it would probably eat up a lot of time from Smackdown storylines.

I do think, though, that if they're going to keep up this Raw SuperShow business throughout the next seven months (which they will by default because it's partly done for the fall against MNF and by January it's Road to Wrestlemania season anyway, in which case everybody appears everywhere, no matter what), they should, if they even care about Smackdown's attendance, at least have Punk or Cena show up on Smackdown from time to time. Especially if they find themselves struggling to sell tickets as with these two Ohio shows.

It can't be overstated how badly Smackdown needs at least some semblance of star power. As has been proven in the last five months, Orton is not nearly enough. WWE in general needs at least one verifiable new mega-star in the next year or so. And it would help a hell of a lot to have a couple more than that. Triple H and Undertaker are on their way out. HBK is 18 months into retirement. Batista left sixteen months ago. Even guys like Edge and Rey Mysterio are either altogether gone or on their last leg.

If you subtract Trips and Taker, all you have left is Cena. Orton can't compare. He's like a Kurt Angle draw circa 2003, he's great to have around as an overall asset but he's not built to carry the whole show on his back indefinitely.

Right now the only four guys in the Youth Movement who are demonstrably showing signs of being big-time players in the very near future are CM Punk, Sin Cara, Sheamus and The Miz. All four are over, they have some kind of "brand" with the audience that is strong at this juncture. These four should be pushed; in the case of Miz, they can be gentle for a while because they already poured a lot into him early this year, but right now Punk needs to be put over the top in the next seven months and Sin Cara needs to start assuming the Rey Mysterio throne. Sheamus can at the very least manage to become a perennial main-eventer and hopefully a drawing face after a lengthy, convincing build-up. Keep up the work on Alberto Del Rio. Find someone who can perhaps help to fill the void of Batista, particularly in Asia Pacific, which for a while has been WWE's biggest growing market. Then start focusing on Barrett (in part for the UK).

There are guys who are doing very well for themselves but they aren't in the upper tier of projects yet, individuals like Bryan, Ziggler, Swagger and Rhodes, but they're all getting close at this time, which is a ray of sunshine through a somewhat dark cloud.

·
Registered
45 Posts
God, SmackDown REALLY needs something going for it. It's turning into TNA. Maybe they ought to consider drafting Cena to SmackDown for about 6 months. Raw is established enough to not suffer too much, especially with Triple H in a position of power, but SmackDown is really in the dumps right now.

Well, it's their own fault. When you build a show around Randy Orton, Randy Orton, Randy Orton and no one but Randy Orton, that's what happens.
Fix'd.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts