Wrestling Forum banner

Expository entrance themes

2350 Views 23 Replies 17 Participants Last post by  Adramelech
If you don't know, an expository theme is one that specifically explains the premise of a show or character. They were very popular in 80s cartoons and sitcoms like Gilligan's Island.

Some of the most memorable themes in pro wrestling were done in this style. Not only are many of them downright hilarious (you're listening to a song explaining the back story of a pro wrestling character), but they were also a great tool in getting a character over. It lets the audience instantly know what a guy is all about. The closest we have to a real expository entrance theme today is John Cena and he seems to have achieved some success with it.

The WWE really needs to revive this lost art.

Could you imagine tunes like that for some modern guys? Shit is a gold mine waiting to happen. Anyone else have some favorites?
Reactions: L-U-D
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Banned
4,476 Posts
Cena's, Triple H's, and Orton's probably all count, as does The Undertaker's ("Ain't No Grave").

Oh, and easily the best one:

· Registered
4,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Teenage Mutant Hero (in the UK) Turtles had the best one of these!

Does Billy Gunn count? And Shawn Michaels?

Did the legend that is Jim Johnston write those two as well?
God yes, of course they count, those two are some of the best ever. They were both composed by Jim Johnston.

Billy Gunn had one of the most epic expository themes of all time. The lyrics are pure gold.

· Registered
5,733 Posts
Miz's theme == new age of sports ent + im awesome
Punk's = destiny is in my hands and i won't be held down by norms
Twins = obvious
Drew Mc

or am i doing it wrong?

· Banned
4,476 Posts

· Banned
201 Posts
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh the 90s. I'm glad I was born in 1990 and raised in that decade

· Banned
2,174 Posts
"The Man called Sting"

· Registered
4,666 Posts
Miz's theme == new age of sports ent + im awesome
Punk's = destiny is in my hands and i won't be held down by norms
Twins = obvious
Drew Mc

or am i doing it wrong?
Miz's theme sucks. The only thing that fits the character is the first 2 seconds because that's his catchphrase.

I Came to Play? it sounds so childish. Reminds me of when NWO would say "WCW, where the big plays? We don't play here. We fight". The word "play" in wrestling is just stupid to me.

CM Punk's theme sounds like a theme where it would be someone that comes down to the ring ala ultimate Warrior. Someone that shows intensity and electricity and dare I say, OVERLY HYPER. not someone that comes out and looks at his watch and slowly, calmly walks to the ring.

Bella Twins-You can look but you can't touch. Honestly, that could apply to ANY good looking woman. There is no reference in the song it's for Twins. It's a good song for a woman but it's not song specific like Honky Tonk Man, where it can only be applied to one wrestler.

Drew McIntyre-Another terrible theme that doesn't fit the character. Another non character specific song. Can be applied to any bad guy wrestler.

Original OP had great examples.

It's saddening how awesome and character specific WWE used to be compared to today, where 1 out of 10 themes actually fit the character. Then again, WWE doesn't actually have many characters to begin with. So that's another thread for another day.

· Banned
201 Posts
Nexus current one is a bit expository. And how could we have all forgot about KUNG FU NAKI

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.