Wrestling Forum banner

Examples of WWE's Revisionist History?

6861 Views 48 Replies 39 Participants Last post by  Reaper
I've heard claims that WWE will try to make things in the past seem different from how they actually happened. I think the movie The Self-Destruction of the Ultimate Warrior that was released back in 2004 would have been an example. They probably do things like this to make themselves look better, and other people look worse.

Can anyone think of some other example of the WWE revising history?
Reactions: sarnobat
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

· Registered
8,518 Posts
Most of the time they mention WCW, especially during the Monday Night wars, I've seen plenty of times where they slam various angles or say they didn't work when the truth is, a lot of times those angles they bashed were very successful.

· The discussion threads are back....but I stopped w
736 Posts
Fabulous Moolah's 28 year title reign.

She lost the title multiple times, always regaining it shortly after. But after WWE bought the rights to the title in '84, they refused to recognize anyone but Moolah as having held the title during that time so they promoted her as having a 28 year uninterrupted title reign.

· Premium Member
39,714 Posts
Claiming that the biggest piece of trailer park trash walking Gods green earth Stone cold "saved" the WWF and that he was the reason they won the Monday night War when in ACTUALITY the WWF started winning the war once The Most electrifying man in sports entertainment won the WWF title.
OH please. What started to turn the rating wars in the WWEs favor was the Austin vs McMahon feud. The rock had a part in tipping the scales but the Austin vs Vince feud is what was the major cause, the rock being the 2nd and the nail in the coffin.

I would say how they pretty much have erased Chris Benoit from existence

Though I respect him, Ultimate Warrior is a good pick. WWE went from trashing Warrior in that DVD and people like Bret saying he was a terrible human being to what we saw at Wrestlemania weekend.

The warrior is a good one and Chris Jericho said on his podcast when they were making that video, all the talent was told to only tell bad stories about him and nothing good. He is a great pick. The WM weekend thing was just the opposite, they only talked about the good times with the warrior, and also I think all parties basically grew up, and left the past in the past.

The WWE HOF is kind of like an obituary (no pun intended since the warrior passed) and they only talk about the good things you did in your life and leave out all the bad.

· Registered
7,682 Posts
Claiming that the biggest piece of trailer park trash walking Gods green earth Stone cold "saved" the WWF and that he was the reason they won the Monday night War when in ACTUALITY the WWF started winning the war once The Most electrifying man in sports entertainment won the WWF title.
wwe didn't win the ratings war till mick foley won the title actually

· Asuka
123,116 Posts
Read WWE's Top 50 Superstars of All time.

1. Shawn Michaels
2. The Undertaker
3. Steve Austin
4. Bret Hart
5. The Rock
6. Harley Race
7. Ricky Steamboat
8. Andre the Giant
9. Rey Mysterio
10. "Rowdy" Roddy Piper
11. Eddie Guerrero
12. Triple H
13. Gorgeous George
14. "Macho Man" Randy Savage
15. "Mr. Perfect" Curt Hennig
16. John Cena
17. Dusty Rhodes and Ric Flair (tied)
19. Edge
20. Jerry "The King" Lawler
21. Lou Thesz
22. Terry Funk
23. Hulk Hogan
24. Bruno Sammartino
25. Chris Jericho
26. Ted DiBiase
27. Fabulous Moolah
28. Classy Freddie Blassie
29. Randy Orton
30. Pat Patterson
31. The Iron Sheik
32. Jimmy Snuka
33. Mick Foley
34. Kurt Angle
35. Buddy Rogers
36. Gorilla Monsoon
37. Junkyard Dog
38. "Superstar" Billy Graham
39. Jake "The Snake" Roberts
40. Big Show
41. Jack Brisco
42. Sgt. Slaughter
43. Kane
44. Nick Bockwinkel
45. Jeff Hardy
46. Dory Funk Jr.
47. Bob Backlund
48. Rick Rude
49. Batista
50. Killer Kowalski

:ti :ti :ti

· Registered
7,682 Posts
Painting HHH in the same light as guys like Austin and Rock, and pretending HHH was any kind of factor in the original Shawn Michaels DX.
^THIS X100

i love hhh but wwe likes to paint it like hhh wasn't the 3rd wheel of the attitude era

he was never a draw and was never the guy like hunter and the mcmahon family thinks he is

not to mention the ratings dipped when he became wwe champ when there was no rock or austin

· Registered
5,222 Posts
The worst case of WWF/WWE revisionist history was the 1992 Royal Rumble, when they changed the reaction where Sid Justice got cheered for tossing Hogan out of the ring as he was trying to eliminate Flair (something Hogan had done in past Rumbles, even). Hogan even helped pull Sid out and let Flair win, which was a dick move since he was already eliminated.

Both Sid and Hogan were faces at the time, but this was one of the first instances since Hulkamania of Hogan even getting booed. Unlike with Cena today, the WWF hid the fact that Hogan got booed.

Then, to build heat for the Hogan/Justice feud on Saturday Night's Main Event, they edited the ending and showed it on TV with Heenan saying things like "I like this guy!" and made it so that the fans were booing Sid and Gorilla was talking about Sid eliminated Hogan "like a thief in the night" and how Sid "wasn't a man." (The WWF doctored version is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDKNqtPcFw0)

The Live PPV version is what's up on the Network, thankfully, and history remembers this correctly, but man, it really sucked at the time to see reality doctored to make Hogan look good. This really pissed me off when I saw the SNME version.

· Registered
5,283 Posts
^THIS X100

i love hhh but wwe likes to paint it like hhh wasn't the 3rd wheel of the attitude era

he was never a draw and was never the guy like hunter and the mcmahon family thinks he is

not to mention the ratings dipped when he became wwe champ when there was no rock or austin
That's another WWE propaganda. Foley was definitly the 3rd wheel of that era. When I think of the AE the first thing comes to my mind is Mankind falling off the top of cell through the announce table.

· Registered
1,048 Posts
The WWE's version of how the Monday Night Wars went down is extremely fabricated.

The WWE wants us to believe that they put the WCW out of business. That's not true at all. WCW went out of business because their product turned into a piece of shit and no one wanted to watch it. By the end of 1998 WCW and WWE's ratings were nearly identical. (Both in the mid 5's). That was months after HBK v. Austin w/ Tyson happened. After the Rock had won the title. After the awesome Kane v. Undertaker stuff. The WWE continued putting on great shows in 1999 and 2000. The WCW hired Russo though and the show went to shit for alot of the reasons we already know. When WCW finally folded, Raw was back down to getting 4.8 - 5.0 ratings and had seen a steady decline for about a year.

My point is that the WWE didn't kill WCW, WCW killed WCW. The WCW ran itself into the ground and eventually Turner decided to recoup what he could and sell the company to Vince. If WCW was a good show though, then they could still be competing today for all we know.

· Registered
1,048 Posts
That's another WWE propaganda. Foley was definitly the 3rd wheel of that era. When I think of the AE the first thing comes to my mind is Mankind falling off the top of cell all through the announce table.
The Attitude era was so great because it wasn't just all about Rock and Austin. For a little while Undertaker became the focal point. For a while it was Foley. For a while it was HHH. For a while it was Angle (towards the end obviously). It kept everything fresh and made everyone look like they were on a level playing field. Pretty much the opposite of how shit goes down now. Barrett beats Sheamus now and everyone is freaking out and shocked.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.