Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may be an old issue, considering cena doesn't really get the negative reaction as much as he used to. I was watching New Year's Revolution 2006--the chamber match, and was struck at how much the fans really booed him. However, I thought back to my best of Raw dvd's, where Cena got drafted to Raw in the summer of 2005, the fans went nuts. No booing whatsoever. I also can think back to Summerslam 05, and remember that he was an overwhelming crowd favorite against Jericho.

So my question is this--what happened between Cena getting drafted to Raw and New Year's Revolution 2006 had the fans completely soured on Cena? I ask because I stopped watching wrestling in 2002 (aka discovered marijuana ), but picked up again when a friend of mine put on Wrestlemania 22. And being a lifelong wrestling fan (since I was 4 years old), it kinda bothers me that I can't pinpoint the exact "reason" or "moment" that sparked the "cena sucks" movement.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
I think it's because his WWE Title reign was too long?

Don't know exactly.

Incoming good thread.

·
Registered
7,523 Posts
i think people just got sick of him by 2006 as he was champ for all of 2005 and WWE made the product about him. And they slowly killed the orignal Cena gimmick and by the end of 05 they were on the way to Cena being Marine Cena we saw in 2006. Plus the way they booked him against HHH Edge Angle RVD etc the fans or more hardcore fans who had watched for longer would cheer them rather than the new guy

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
I've always wondered that myself, just a couple of months prior he was making Angle his bitch and the crowd was eating it up then all of a sudden I'd hear an audible "Cena sucks" chant.

But if you've recently got back into Wrestling, you should see ECW One Night Stand 2006, it was the culmination of the Cena hatred(or hardcore RVD marks).

·
Banned
18,557 Posts
Cena was fine until he got drafted to RAW. Once he started feuding with Christian and Jericho, his journey to Hatersville began.

- Vic

·
Registered
8,156 Posts
I think it started at Wrestlemania 21 during his match against JBL because it wasn't very good. Although, I don't think it was all his fault. After all, he was working with JBL!

I think they really started to turn on him during his feuds with Christian and Chris Jericho. The You're Fired Match on Raw is the best example during that time.

·
The One Who Knocks
5,341 Posts
Personally my disdain for him erupted in 2005 when Christian got royally fucked out of having a main event program with Cena that had been building for 6 months. I mean, it's not Cena's fault, but someone had to receive the tangible outpouring of blame.

That and his 400 day title reign. Uggggggh. I can still see it. Khali. Snitsky. It was hell.

I like him just fine now, though.

·
Registered
7,523 Posts
For me it was when the Marine stuff started
pretty much even though WWE did try to end the Marine Cena when he came back in 08 at the rumble they still didnt like Cena i think that Marine character Cena did was a main reason all the fans who like the rapper Cena went and booed the new version of Cena who was a complete 360 from what they had they liked about Cena

·
BLUE IS BACK
9,773 Posts
Personally my disdain for him erupted in 2005 when Christian got royally fucked out of having a main event program with Cena that had been building for 6 months. I mean, it's not Cena's fault, but someone had to receive the tangible outpouring of blame.

That and his 400 day title reign. Uggggggh. I can still see it. Khali. Snitsky. It was hell.

I like him just fine now, though.
THIS... at first i was just pissed about christian... then he seriously bothered me as he was stale as hell

now hes great

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
i think it was when he introduced the spinny belt

it was no where near as good as the us title version, the novelty was lost by then, the wwe one right from the reveal was/is beyond tacky and a gimmick

it was at this point that we realised that wow jbl really lowered the bar for the real world title in wwe

so yeah at least he is better than jbl, big f*****g deal

not long after that he stopped doing the battleraps and rapping as a whole and that was the last of his baddassery gone, he was nothing but a gimmick for the suburban dumbs***s of america
just an all around misrepresentation of wrestling taken seriously

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
well its a ton of things. 1st "5 moves of doom" everyone has a set of moves, but for cena its the set of moves added to the way every match ended....get beat down by the other guy who does tons of moves, then bam go through the motions end of match. i know a lot of people were mad because they felt the other guy did all the work just to get beat in 45 secs ....that happened pretty much for his entire yr reign

2nd no matter what is going on its about cena, look at this yr he hasnt been champ since fatal four way and every major story is about him, they even overshadow the titles, which should never ever happen. think about how many raws where hes had 3 promos + or all the times he interrupts a promo with aguy he doesnt have any reason to argue with.. hell take out some of his promos thats another match

3rd how others wrestle, you always had a lot of short matches, but everytime cena was hurt on raw guys would get more time, guys would do more moves, its almost like the bookers were afraid to show up cena...i dont know cena i dont blame him but who ever books basically has cena do nothing but punches, shoulder blocks, fu, stf, that top rope leg drop....every so often he'll do armbars and headlocks.....for a lot of fans thats annoying to see everytime.

4th the selling is horrible, i dont mean the megaface can get up. i mean like his acting in the ring whenever hes hurt he has a face like he is going to shit himself ..again idk if hes told to do this (well i hope hes told because its horrible) even with that so many times he looks for guys or moves...like when ever he falls on something he always turns around. every other guys knows where everything is just fall. it blows spots up if you know what the spot is before it happens. or when you know hes going to miss a move...one time he went for the leg drop on batista a few yrs ago and he jump almost flat on his back for dave to spear him..why not let dave catch and drop like its supposed to be done..ruins the omy he countered it

5th hes problably beat more guys in less than 5 mins than any main eventer the past 10 yrs, which says a lot since its only been 5 for him as a main eventer.

6th the only guys who ever beat him are established stars, all established for yrs, then when someoe does it, its something retarded like the tables match...would it have hurt if say he was thrown into the table instead of falling over.

7th i mean i dont know who comes up with all these ideas but as a whole it just makes it seem like no matter what anyone likes it will always be cena, wrestling is always best when fans have a choice of who they want to cheer for. we are lucky to have 2 world titles in that sense, but really its hard to get into a character who you know 99.9% of the time is going to win and dominate

ps 8th some of his promos are childish, like his mustard promo a few months ago. i know some will say pg, but a lot of guys have good promos without making fart, poop, or food jokes. even if his main fan base is kids you can use words with more than 5 letters and not curse

·
Registered
9,605 Posts
This may be an old issue, considering cena doesn't really get the negative reaction as much as he used to. I was watching New Year's Revolution 2006--the chamber match, and was struck at how much the fans really booed him. However, I thought back to my best of Raw dvd's, where Cena got drafted to Raw in the summer of 2005, the fans went nuts. No booing whatsoever. I also can think back to Summerslam 05, and remember that he was an overwhelming crowd favorite against Jericho.
You may have to rewatch that match, Jericho was getting considerable cheers, I remember when he put Cena in the Walls of Jericho the crowd went nuts, at least the male crowd, who would define the anti-cena movement. The Cena hate began right after he was drafted to Raw, leading into Vengence, then Summerslam, by the time he got to Angle at Unforgiven all hope was lost.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
After Vengeance. The crowd seemed to be split with Jericho at Summerslam, and then by the time he feuded with Angle, half the crowd was booing him.

·
Registered
4,438 Posts
What exactly was this Marine gimmick? Was it what Cena was last year and up until Nexus started fucking with him?
No look at any thing he did from late 2006-mid 2007 every thing he wore was all Marine inspired not so much to pay tribute to the US troops but promote the first WWE Films production he stared on "The Marine".

·
Registered
854 Posts
For me it was when his gimmick changed over. I loved his gimmick before where he would give a freestyle about his oppentent before they made their entrance. I just thought that it added more to the match. And that whole salute thing, I have no idea what is up with that. I loved him when he was a heel and by 2006 I think the whole marine thing just sickend me. But now I don't really have a problem with him other than the fact that he can't sell anything for shit.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts