Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always been a bit confused by the exact definition of this, whether it be:

Simply losing a program to someone or is it full blown losing to make the guy look that much better in order to elevate him? I've always thought of it as the latter, someone already in a great position losing to someone who isn't quite established, in order to help him elevate to a main event level.

But my confusion stems from a shoot interview with Bob Holly, who said "Yokozuna put Bret Hart over", to which I'm assuming is just stupidity. Help?

·
Administrator
58,999 Posts
Someone doesn't necessarily have to win to be put over. Ex: Austin/Hart Mania 13, Taker/Orton Mania 21 (which led to Orton getting the cleanest victory you can get against Taker at Summerslam) Putting someone over can be done by simply putting on a great match, and by making it perfectly believable that the "lesser star" could of won that match. Also things after the match can help put someone over. Like when Taker raised Jeff Hardy's hand after the ladder match.

·
Registered
12,737 Posts
Robert Roode losing to Kurt Angle in pretty damn solid 25 minute main event at Bound for Glory that make Robert Roode look like a star.

·
Premium Member
19,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alright, thanks everyone. That's basically what I initially thought, but fucking Bob Holly really confused me. IDK why I was even watching an interview of his.

·
Registered
70 Posts
To me it is when an established star looses a match in a way that gets a up and coming star over the hump and to that next level giving them a concrete position as a main stay top guy. For example Triple H for Batista back in 2005, falling to the animal 3 ppv's in a row allowed him to reach main event level. And at the same time HHH still remained a top player himself.

·
Registered
9 Posts
It's also traditional to put someone over when you leave, pass the torch as it were. Flair picking Michaels to retire him was a massive honour. Not sure Hardy was quite so pleased about the Punk thing though - I half expected there to be a mirror of the moment when Joey from Friends was fired on his medical soap opera.

·
Banned
529 Posts
When Bret Hart beat Yoko for the title, it was made to look like a fluke with Yoko slipping off the ropes. I wouldn't call that putting him over.

·
DIRK
10,344 Posts
It's also traditional to put someone over when you leave, pass the torch as it were. Flair picking Michaels to retire him was a massive honour. Not sure Hardy was quite so pleased about the Punk thing though - I half expected there to be a mirror of the moment when Joey from Friends was fired on his medical soap opera.
The thing with that, though, is that HBK was already incredibly over. He wasn't really affected by the outcome of that match. Yes, it's a great honor, but I think you may be confusing "honor" with "being put over."

·
Premium Member
19,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
When Bret Hart beat Yoko for the title, it was made to look like a fluke with Yoko slipping off the ropes. I wouldn't call that putting him over.
Exactly. Holly's quote was something along the lines of: "Yokozuna put Bret Hart over and passed the torch to him, but you can't do the same to Shawn Michaels? Fuck you."

The thought of Yokozuna "passing the torch" to Bret Hart is idiotic as anything I've ever heard. And Bret did put over Shawn once before, didn't he Bob...

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I'd say Foley was the first to really put Orton over. Their Backlash '04 match gave Orton a ton of credibility.
Not to mention random Hall of Famers putting him over making his Legend Killer gimmick very credible

·
Registered
4,306 Posts
Good example would be the Miz/Riley feud. Even though A-Ry is floating around directionless at the moment, he used to be the lowest guy on the totem pole (yes, that includes the Superstars crew) until his face turn. Miz put Riley over at Capitol Punishment, and Riley is now a top midcard face on RAW, who could possibly become a main eventer down the line once he is a little more seasoned.

Another example would be Triple H vs. John Cena at WM 22. During Cena's first title reign, he was still pretty much the underdog. When you take in account HHH's reputation as "The Great Burier" you pretty much thought Cena had no chance. He was up against a guy who was known for putting himself over at the expense of others, yet Cena actually beat HHH at Wrestlemania, not only that, but by submission as well.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
It's making somebody more credible, losses or matches don't have to be involved. Rock put Jericho and Hurricane over by talking to them, and Hart put Austin over by beating him.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts