Wrestling Forum banner

9181 - 9197 of 9197 Posts

·
Registered
17,478 Posts
Block tapings are a pretty great addition to the series. Especially if playing as a smaller company. The ratings lowering depending on how many filmed makes sense too. Spoilers irl have the same effect.

·
Registered
17,478 Posts
This weeks 2020 journals.

32: Independent wrestling

Those of you who have played WMMA5 (I highly recommend you do if you have any interest in MMA!) will know that the local shows, WMMA's equivalent of the independent wrestling scene, are divided up into different size categories so that fighters can work their way up as they gain experience. We're taking that same concept and applying that to TEW.

Instead of one level of independent show, TEW2020 will instead have three. They break down as follows.

Small-time indy shows are pretty much what you're familiar with already: little shows featuring unemployed, not-particularly-popular wrestlers who either reside in the same region as the show, or live within travelling distance.

Mid-level indy shows expand that slightly further. Now, contracted workers are allowed to appear, providing they're not under an exclusive deal anywhere. Also, the maximum popularity is raised slightly to allow some bigger names to come in. The shows feature more matches and get a bigger attendance.

Big-time indy shows then expand that further. The maximum popularity is raised again, and now workers from anywhere in that game area can take part, not just those who are relatively local. The shows are, again, slightly longer and get slightly better attendance.

The split is roughly 25% small-time, 25% big-time, 50% mid-level for each game area. As in TEW2016, indy shows can either be regular (mostly male wrestlers but with occasional women's matches) or entirely dedicated to women's wrestling.

To add to this, the frequency of indy shows is now linked directly to the free agent pool in that area. The more free agents there are, the more indy shows are going to happen. With a huge pool, it's possible to get 8 shows (4 normal, 4 women's) per month at maximum with this new system.

Finally, rather than use "American Independent Wrestling", "British Independent Wrestling", etc, as the names for the shows, you'll now see them listed as "Independent Wrestling From Brooklyn", "Independent Wrestling From Glasgow", etc, etc. This is purely cosmetic, but in my opinion it's just a little nicer to look at and adds slightly to the immersion.

So, overall, this makes the independent aspect of the game a lot more dynamic and lively, means that wrestlers who are outside the big leagues will have more opportunities to work over the course of a year, and generally adds more realism to the package.

33: Match booking

As with the previously announced angle booking changes (see entry #24), match booking in TEW2020 also has a more streamlined approach. The two main screens (picking the match and actually booking it) are now integrated into the same screen to save time and clicking, and, just like angles, the user can now easily change the match type without needing to delete and rebook the segment. So, for example, if you book a singles bout and want to change it to a triple threat match instead, you can just add in a new competitor without needing to re-do the existing wrestlers and road agent notes.

As with angles, road agent notes can now be pre-booked for matches too to save time.

Finally, as a general change, when booking any segment it now gets added to the 'bottom' of the show (i.e. the latest possible position). This means that people can naturally book their main events first and work downwards, which is how most people seem to organise themselves, and it also means that when you do on-the-fly booking during a show the stuff you add gets added to its most logical place. This reduces the amount of clicking and shuffling of segments that you need to do.

Note: Adam confirmed that whilst the new way goes from main event - opener when booking, there will be an option of going back to the opener-main event way.

·
also known as a BUSTER
11,975 Posts
WCW Montreal Aftermath - March Wk1 2000 Update
- There has been a burgeoning TV romance between Duke Droese and Madusa, centred around Droese giving unique gifts to the female wrestler. Where Droese has been sourcing the random items from is yet to be revealed.
- Steven Richards has been cut off mid-push by a torn abdominal muscle, necessitating 3 months on the sidelines.
- SID has officially jumped to the World Wrestling Federation and rumours suggest Berlyn could soon follow.
- Syxx has been suspended for 30 days for his habitual weed consumption
- ECW icons RVD & Tazz made their shocking debut at the last PPV. Assisting Barbarian & Mortis in dethroning Tag Champs Harlem Heat.
- Shawn Stasiak has been acquired by WCW. He joins The Brood and Golga as new additions to the Power Plant roster.
- The aforementioned developmental program will now be led by, retired wrestler, Jim Neidhart.
- Former trainer Bobby Eaton has been promoted to a main roster Road Agent slot.
- Goldberg's relentless schedule has led to severe chronic shoulder pain. What does this mean for the future of the World Heavyweight Championship, as Bill heads into the cage vs. Randy Savage at Uncensored?
- Curt Hennig will be off TV for a while, after being on the receiving end of a patented Goldberg Savate Kick.
- WCW has applied to trademark the term 'Tough Enough', with regards to future television programming
- Jushin Liger has departed WCW and doubled-down on his commitments to the embattled NJPW promotion.
- Wrestling fans hotly anticipate the premiere of David Arquette's 'Ready to Rumble' feature film.

·
Registered
17,478 Posts
This weeks 2020 Journal entries.

Starting with a new stat.

34: Experience

A new part of a worker's skill selection is Experience. As the name suggests, this is a measure of their career's in-ring time so far. The value increases every time they wrestle, with the longer the match, the bigger the jump.

Unlike most of the other skills, there is no cap on Experience; if they wrestle for long enough, everyone will eventually reach 100. Experience cannot go down.

Experience affects a worker's in-ring performance; the more experienced a worker is, the better he is able to cope with problems and mistakes when they happen. This also allows workers to mitigate poor booking. For example, a highly experienced worker is better able to cover the fact that he has been gassed by being put into too long of a match. These "covers" take the form of reducing or removing the penalties that you'd normally see.

Rookies on the other hand are more likely to be flustered and make things worse as a result of how green they are.

If something out of the ordinary happens, like a botch, as long as there is at least one experienced workers in the match they will be able to help everyone else through it. This makes keeping the old guard around quite useful at times.

Also, high experience makes a worker better at passing on their knowledge during matches. Therefore working with experienced veterans leads to quicker learning for rookies.

The other significant use of Experience is with road agents, as this is one of the two major stats (alongside Psychology) that affect how good they are at their job (Respect being the third, lesser aspect).

Overall, this addition adds to the realism and means that veteran wrestlers become more valuable members of the roster because of their teaching potential and the fact that their experience can be crucial in helping keep matches on track at times. Simply kicking workers out the door when they start declining therefore becomes a far worse move than it has in the past and can have serious repercussions over time if a roster gets too green overall.

*rest of the weeks entries will be added to this post as Adam posts them.

·
Banned
8 Posts
What does Negotiating do in TEW2016?

I always went with Negotiating as my highest skill as I thought it would get me workers cheaper but they always want the same regardless. Also can't Negotiate for part timers to wrestle full time without loads more money.

·
Banned
8 Posts
Block tapings are a pretty great addition to the series. Especially if playing as a smaller company. The ratings lowering depending on how many filmed makes sense too. Spoilers irl have the same effect.
I don't see how it's necessary. Seems to just be making it more complicated.

Playing as a developmental league will be fun and it's good the Internet will be better simulated.

It would be cool if you could book the specific band that will perform on the show and make deals for celebrities to appear in a number of shows and maybe even work a program and work some matches or in a rare case convince them to become a regular wrestler on the show.

·
Registered
17,478 Posts
I don't see how it's necessary. Seems to just be making it more complicated.

Playing as a developmental league will be fun and it's good the Internet will be better simulated.

It would be cool if you could book the specific band that will perform on the show and make deals for celebrities to appear in a number of shows and maybe even work a program and work some matches or in a rare case convince them to become a regular wrestler on the show.
Of course they're gonna add these small things. Otherwise nobody would buy it and stay with 16. Block taping is great if you play as a WWF 96 mod for example, because they didn't film Raw live. So booking the 4 episodes in one go then them appearing on TV the subsequent weeks. Ryland already confirmed there will be little to no effect to ratings preinternet eras, and small decrease when you pass the internet age due to real life "spoilers". That's both realistic and a good addition.

If I'm honest, some times I can't be bothered to book week after week. So booking 4 weeks in one go when I have the motivation is welcomed by me.

You can change wrestler names, titles etc. Of your developmental but you can't book their shows. You'd have to add a second player and have them take over if you wanted to do that (assuming you're playing as the main company).

You can already add celebrities to the database and book them. I've added a few into my game database over the years. You never know who Vince and co will book or sign from other forms of entertainment.

·
Banned
8 Posts
Of course they're gonna add these small things. Otherwise nobody would buy it and stay with 16. Block taping is great if you play as a WWF 96 mod for example, because they didn't film Raw live. So booking the 4 episodes in one go then them appearing on TV the subsequent weeks. Ryland already confirmed there will be little to no effect to ratings preinternet eras, and small decrease when you pass the internet age due to real life "spoilers". That's both realistic and a good addition.

If I'm honest, some times I can't be bothered to book week after week. So booking 4 weeks in one go when I have the motivation is welcomed by me.

You can change wrestler names, titles etc. Of your developmental but you can't book their shows. You'd have to add a second player and have them take over if you wanted to do that (assuming you're playing as the main company).

You can already add celebrities to the database and book them. I've added a few into my game database over the years. You never know who Vince and co will book or sign from other forms of entertainment.
So you can play as a developmental if your not playing as the parent company?

Well sure you can simulate celebs as workers but it would be cool if they were celebs in the game that generated buzz for the promotion. I wonder how long it would take to train someone with zero in any wrestling ability in a developmental league to a point where they can work to a decent level and if they would complain about being sent there if they were a known star.

·
Registered
17,478 Posts
So you can play as a developmental if your not playing as the parent company?

Well sure you can simulate celebs as workers but it would be cool if they were celebs in the game that generated buzz for the promotion. I wonder how long it would take to train someone with zero in any wrestling ability in a developmental league to a point where they can work to a decent level and if they would complain about being sent there if they were a known star.
Yes you can play as NXT for example if you want to. Think that's always been an option though.

Depends what base stats you give the celebrity. Somebody with a gymnastic background would be more willing to learn and grow, whilst a singer with no athletic background wouldn't. Their stats would reflect that.

I once had Louis Smith in my database and he grew quite well down in NXT, whereas I also had Cheryl Cole at one point and she wasn't willing to do much of anything.

·
Registered
17,478 Posts
This weeks 2020 Journal entries.

Starting with a new stat.

34: Experience

A new part of a worker's skill selection is Experience. As the name suggests, this is a measure of their career's in-ring time so far. The value increases every time they wrestle, with the longer the match, the bigger the jump.

Unlike most of the other skills, there is no cap on Experience; if they wrestle for long enough, everyone will eventually reach 100. Experience cannot go down.

Experience affects a worker's in-ring performance; the more experienced a worker is, the better he is able to cope with problems and mistakes when they happen. This also allows workers to mitigate poor booking. For example, a highly experienced worker is better able to cover the fact that he has been gassed by being put into too long of a match. These "covers" take the form of reducing or removing the penalties that you'd normally see.

Rookies on the other hand are more likely to be flustered and make things worse as a result of how green they are.

If something out of the ordinary happens, like a botch, as long as there is at least one experienced workers in the match they will be able to help everyone else through it. This makes keeping the old guard around quite useful at times.

Also, high experience makes a worker better at passing on their knowledge during matches. Therefore working with experienced veterans leads to quicker learning for rookies.

The other significant use of Experience is with road agents, as this is one of the two major stats (alongside Psychology) that affect how good they are at their job (Respect being the third, lesser aspect).

Overall, this addition adds to the realism and means that veteran wrestlers become more valuable members of the roster because of their teaching potential and the fact that their experience can be crucial in helping keep matches on track at times. Simply kicking workers out the door when they start declining therefore becomes a far worse move than it has in the past and can have serious repercussions over time if a roster gets too green overall.

*rest of the weeks entries will be added to this post as Adam posts them.
Two small updates today.

35: User reputation, free pictures

There's been a few changes to the user's reputation in the new game. It is now more dynamic, being far more sensitive to your booking performance and also now being affected by rises and falls in size. In line with this, your reputation will now be a standard 0-100 number, not just a handful of text categories, so this will allow you to see the changes more clearly. Also, if you choose to leave the game then the character you were using as your avatar will change their booking reputation to match your user reputation, meaning they can carry on (under AI control) with the rep you built for them.

In a related change, the block whereby you could only start your own company if you had High or above reputation has been removed; you can now start your own company whenever you like, as long as you're unemployed. However, your reputation is used to decide how successful you are at attracting investors / backers, and so your starting money is affected by both your reputation and the challenge level you select. So, for example, if you choose Rock Hard you're going to not get much money to start with, but you're going to get significantly less if you also have very little reputation too. As a final related change, your reputation no longer goes to zero when you start your own company as this game-y block is no longer necessary.

These aren't huge changes, but they do add a little more realism and make the user experience a little nicer as you have more freedom.

The second change I'll be talking about today is to do with the Free Pictures section of the editor, and this is for database makers rather than an "everyday use" feature. When you choose to Add a new record to this section the game will now automatically select the first unused picture in the file for you (unused meaning that it's a picture that isn't already a free picture and isn't attached to a worker or alter ego already). Likewise, when you hit Save And Continue it will jump to the next unused picture in the file after the one you just saved.

This potentially save an enormous amount of clicking and scrolling for database makers as you can bash through large amounts of pictures very quickly, particularly if you've got the files named so that they are already organised in some sort of order.

·
Registered
17,478 Posts
Two small updates today.

35: User reputation, free pictures

There's been a few changes to the user's reputation in the new game. It is now more dynamic, being far more sensitive to your booking performance and also now being affected by rises and falls in size. In line with this, your reputation will now be a standard 0-100 number, not just a handful of text categories, so this will allow you to see the changes more clearly. Also, if you choose to leave the game then the character you were using as your avatar will change their booking reputation to match your user reputation, meaning they can carry on (under AI control) with the rep you built for them.

In a related change, the block whereby you could only start your own company if you had High or above reputation has been removed; you can now start your own company whenever you like, as long as you're unemployed. However, your reputation is used to decide how successful you are at attracting investors / backers, and so your starting money is affected by both your reputation and the challenge level you select. So, for example, if you choose Rock Hard you're going to not get much money to start with, but you're going to get significantly less if you also have very little reputation too. As a final related change, your reputation no longer goes to zero when you start your own company as this game-y block is no longer necessary.

These aren't huge changes, but they do add a little more realism and make the user experience a little nicer as you have more freedom.

The second change I'll be talking about today is to do with the Free Pictures section of the editor, and this is for database makers rather than an "everyday use" feature. When you choose to Add a new record to this section the game will now automatically select the first unused picture in the file for you (unused meaning that it's a picture that isn't already a free picture and isn't attached to a worker or alter ego already). Likewise, when you hit Save And Continue it will jump to the next unused picture in the file after the one you just saved.

This potentially save an enormous amount of clicking and scrolling for database makers as you can bash through large amounts of pictures very quickly, particularly if you've got the files named so that they are already organised in some sort of order.
Stables have been overhauled.

36: Stables

This entry will cover how stables have been upgraded for TEW2020.

Starting with the editor, here is how stables are broken down.

Firstly, there are the basics: their name, the company they are assigned to, their status (active / inactive), and their biography-style description.

Secondly, there are the following in the details / settings section.

Type: This can either be Faction, Brotherhood, Cult, Gang or Alliance; this controls how they act and are rated.*

Formed: This is text to show when they were created.

Important: Yes or No. This simply says whether they get made inactive or get removed entirely when they are closed.

Min / Max Members: This controls the number of people in the stable.

Must Involve: This can link the stable to a specific worker; the stable can only operate as long as that worker is a member, otherwise it is shut down.

Disposition: This controls whether the stable is Babyface, Heel, or can be either.

Genders: This controls whether the stable is Male Only, Female Only, or Mixed.

No New Members: This says whether the stable is "closed" or not, i.e. whether new members can be added after the stable is established.

Thirdly, there is the members section, which lists who is in the stable. This has been reduced from 20 members to 18 in TEW2020 because when viewing stables you no longer see a list but get the entire stable pictured, but I could only fit 18 people on screen. As I think most people would prefer the much nicer visual presentation, and that hardly anyone actually ever used slots 19 and 20 anyway, I think this is a minor drawback. Each of the members has the following potential roles (replacing Major / Minor):

Leader: As it sounds.

Deputy: The worker (or workers) who are second in command and will likely take over if the leader leaves.

Heir: A (usually younger) worker who is being groomed to eventually take leadership.

Member: This is the generic role that just means a worker is part of the stable.

Muscle: This is for workers who are members to act as enforcers or bruisers.

Lackey: This is for members who play a minor, servile role.

Fodder: This is for the bottom-rung members who exists basically to get beaten up and do run-ins.

Support: This is for non-wrestlers, such as managers, valets, etc.

These roles inform the game how that worker's performance, status, etc, affects the stable's rating.

On top of this, there is now a Stable Names section of the editor. This workers just like Team Names, TV names, etc, in that it lists a bunch of potential names that can be applied to stables. These are subdivided by gender, disposition, stale type, stable size, and company location.

As you can probably tell from some of the features I've just announced, the really big change in stables is that they are now fully integrated for AI use. That means that the AI can open its own stables, add new members, remove members, change stable roles, close stables, and incorporate all of this into its booking. That means that stable members will team with each other, not outsiders, they'll band together in tournaments, avoid fighting each other, etc. In conjunction with this, there's a new Stables section (located next to Tag Teams) when viewing AI companies so that you can see what their current groups are, who is in them, and what their roles are.

As a minor addition, stable names are now also fully incorporated into match reports, both human and AI. So you'll see things like "The Infernal Horde (Snap Dragon, El Rey, and Soul Taker) beat ....." when viewing results, which looks nicer and means that you can better see why people are teaming together.

·
Registered
17,478 Posts
There's no longer a loan limit.

Two smallish changes to the loan system(s) today.

#37: Loans

In previous games the amount a worker was paid per appearance when traded or loaned was based on their existing contract's wage. This had a flaw in that it could result in unfairly high amounts being charged, especially with written deals. To counter this, traded or loaned workers will now always use their genuine pay-per-show worth (i.e. the amount that you'd be quoted when starting negotiations with them). This means that the value is always a fair reflection of their true worth.

In previous games there was a cap on how many loans in total an alliance member could make within a six month period. This limitation has been removed from the game to allow for more flexibility and to open up the option of doing more "invasion" style actions.

Part 38.

#38: Stars and attendance levels

Unlike in previous games, attendance levels are now directly impacted by the star names on a show (previously this was limited to figureheads).

One realistic effect from this is that smaller companies who bring in workers with name value will be able to see a noticeable bump in their attendances, making it worth shelling out the extra cash.

This also means that regional stars have more of a place in the game world, especially when it comes to companies vying for position. This opens up new strategic options. For example, stealing a regional draw from a rival can help you break into a new market while hurting them at the same time, or you could make clever use of loans and trades to help you do one-off shows in new markets and still draw.

This will also affect companies who fail to build or protect their own stars - if they end up with a roster short of name value then they're going to see their attendances start to dwindle as the fans have no reason to turn up.

Overall this adds more realism to the game and several new strategic elements.

Love all the changes so far. Look forward to playing it.

#39:Tag team types, worldwide tag search, numbered TV shows, new match types

The tag team types have been changed slightly with the addition of Permanent Units (meaning that you now have Permanent Units, Units, and Individuals; as before, there are active and inactive versions of each).*

Permanent Units are for teams who are strongly identified as always being together. They will share the effects of tag wins and losses equally regardless of who was involved in the finish. This also has strong ties to the AI, who will never break the team up, will never use them with other partners, and will rarely use them outside of the tag team division.

Units are as they were in the previous game; they're basically Permanent Units but the AI can break them up if there is a good reason (if one of them becomes a much bigger star, for example) and can use them occasionally in singles situations.

Individuals are as they were before; they're for when it's two singles wrestlers tagging, or temporarily alliances. They don't share effects equally, and the AI will treat them as singles workers, which means it can break them up and is free to give them solo runs.

The new addition won't really affect the player very much, but it makes the AI significantly better at handling the tag team booking and usage parts of the game.

In a separate change related to tag teams, from the tag team screen there is now a section that allows you to search through all tag teams across the game world, as this had been requested a number of times to make seeking out established duos earlier. As I know this will trigger people asking: I realise that people also want the ability to be able to negotiate with tag teams rather than having to do it individually, but this will not be in the game as I cannot get it working well enough.

As it has been requested a few times, numbered TV shows will be in TEW2020. This is optional. If turned on, it means that a counter will keep track of which episode it is and you will see "SWF Uprising #141", etc, in the results and histories.

Finally for today, four new multi-man match types have been added as possible choices: seven, eight, nine, and ten way singles matches.

·
F*ck off I'm drinking
5,659 Posts
Currently going crazy with my Midcard Title, every time someone wins it it shoots them up into the Main Event for some reason. Running a Regional-level promotion and the guy who won the title shot past all my main eventers and is my top star now. World Title is the secondary belt now it seems, which is annoying. I'm also building towards a big 6-Men Match for the World Title at the next big Event so I'm 99% sure at least one of them will get hurt two weeks before the show, as always

9181 - 9197 of 9197 Posts