·
Functioning Psycho
2,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"EVOLVE 6: Aries vs. Taylor"
November 20th, 2010 ~ 8:00 PM
Union City, NJ ~ The ACE Arena

The Main Event
Chuck Taylor (3-1) vs. Austin Aries (0-0)

Bonus Main Event
Homicide (0-0) vs. Jon Moxley (0-1)

EVOLVE 1 Rematch
Kyle O'Reilly (2-2) vs. Bobby Fish (0-4)

Special Attraction Match
Ricochet (2-2) vs. Adam Cole (1-2)

Clash Of Egos
Jimmy Jacobs (4-1) vs. Johnny Gargano (3-2)

Tag Team Action
Cheech & Cloudy (3-0) vs. Player Uno & Player Dos (0-0)

Special Attraction Match
Drake Younger (3-0) vs. Silas Young (0-1)

Four-Way Match - One Win On The Line
Rich Swann (0-1) vs. AR Fox (0-0) vs. Tony Nese (0-0) vs. Scott Reed (0-0)​
I figured that since the old thread hadn't been updated in over a month, we could do one for their final event this year. Plus...it still listed Davey as a part of the company in the thread title. Awkward......

Anyway, the other reason I wanted to draw attention to this show is that I feel this is EVOLVE's most interesting top-to-bottom card yet while also being the most distant from where I thought EVOLVE would be going stylistically. If a few weeks after EVOLVE's launch you told me that the Super Smash Brothers would show up by the sixth event, I would have called you a smelly liar. Even their Mission seems to have changed, stating this: "[An] athlete must approach everything with steadfast determination, whether it is evolving his/her career to the next level or innovating new wrestling styles and techniques. Basically, if a wrestler wants to develop their career by improving or advance a pro wrestling style they could be invited to compete in EVOLVE." I actually think that this concept, wrestlers from all styles coming together on one card, fits the name EVOLVE better than some sort of pro wrestling and MMA hybrid, but I think that the initial idea is what got people interested in the beginning and EVOLVE could run the risk of alienating some fans. Opinions anyone?

·
also known as a BUSTER
11,993 Posts
I was ready to jump ship, from ROH fandom, and back Gabe on this one but I think, with all due respect to him, he seemed to get a bit lost. Maybe he snafu'd himself a little with the original plans.

EVOLVE has had a couple of great one-off matches but I'm not really sure what it's raison d'etre is any more. It's kind of an American indy supercard promotion now.

·
Is a Snit Head
22,164 Posts
He's got a lot more talent to work with there and all the Japanese guys there makes it a much more interesting dynamic. So I can't blame him. I'm pretty sure DGUSA does more business anyway.

Evolve almost seems like a minor league DGUSA for the American wrestlers. A lot of the guys they have wrestling regularly in Evolve are in the opening or even pre show matches for DGUSA.

·
Registered
13,042 Posts
I think Gabe had the concept in his mind but didn't know how to carry it out beyond the first couple of shows. I think the fans that wanted an MMA/wrestling mix have already gone and pretty much everyone else figures it's PWG East. Don't know how long it'll last since unlike PWG we can see everyone in EVOLVE in other feds regularly, there's not the fun aspect which makes PWG enjoyable/different then everywhere else and with the glut of feds in the Northeast I don't know if they will continue to draw. Anywhere that gives the Smash Brothers a legit chance though is good in my book.

·
also known as a BUSTER
11,993 Posts
Yeah that's what I was thinking that they're now striving for.

It'd take a good while to get to PWG's level though. I don't really see much of a gap in the market for EVOLVE as an all-encompassing promotion, unfortunately. Unless, of course, ROH suddenly goes tits-up (or TNA does and ROH sells out and becomes the new Public Enemy #2) and thus sucks a company like EVOLVE up into the vacuum.

They suffer from not having their own, identifiable 'star quarterback' too. Losing Davey must have seriously pissed Gabe off.

EVOLVE could have become a nice addition to that clutch of niche 'love-'em-or-hate-'em' promotions - CZW, SHIMMER, Chikara - as a pure wrestling/worked MMA thang. Now they're just kinda floating around.

Overbooking then diluting and Davey bailing out killed my hard-on.

·
Is a Snit Head
22,164 Posts
They're trying to make stars and I honestly think they have done a good job of getting some guys a lot more recognition. Before Evolve I would have never wanted to see a show where Chuck Taylor was in the main event. Between Evolve and DGUSA I think he will end up being the indy guy that gets the biggest rub from.

I never really expected them to go with the MMA hybrid wrestling. I mean they had Chikara guys on the card of their first show.

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
Evolve has its flaws, certainly. The wins and losses aspect doesn't really mean anything because not everyone wrestles everyone, so Jacobs' 4-1 means so much more than Drake Younger's 3-0 because he's wrestled bigger names than Younger. That's an aspect that they can't really fix without running at least two shows a month, or setting everyone's records back to zero and only putting the records on the line in special matches, to make them more of a big deal.

Yet I still enjoy it, perhaps more than some other, larger promotions. Everything feels so natural, and it's a whole lot easier for me to take the wrestling seriously if the storylines aren't ridiculous (TNA) or cliché (ROH). It's not the best promotion, not even close, but it's easy to watch, probably moreso than anything this side of PWG. Now if they could just get rid of the shitty wrestlers...

·
also known as a BUSTER
11,993 Posts
They're trying to make stars and I honestly think they have done a good job of getting some guys a lot more recognition. Before Evolve I would have never wanted to see a show where Chuck Taylor was in the main event. Between Evolve and DGUSA I think he will end up being the indy guy that gets the biggest rub from.
Yeah they're definitely trying to make guys like Fish, Moxley and Taylor into stars by having them interact with established names. Question is, are they making stars for EVOLVE or stars for Dragon Gate?

Personally, I have no interest in watching Taylor or Moxley, either way. I just don't get either of them. I'd be most likely to watch Jacobs-Gargano and O'Reilly-Fish, off that card.

·
Registered
13,042 Posts
Yet I still enjoy it, perhaps more than some other, larger promotions. Everything feels so natural, and it's a whole lot easier for me to take the wrestling seriously if the storylines aren't ridiculous (TNA) or cliché (ROH). It's not the best promotion, not even close, but it's easy to watch, probably moreso than anything this side of PWG. Now if they could just get rid of the shitty wrestlers...
The ease of watching it and it just being mostly good indy guys vs. each other will be the reasons people keep watching it. I can say that this, PWG and most Chikara shows are the only ones I can watch in one sitting.

As for the card I can take everything except for Younger/Silas. Haven't seen much of Young outside AAW that was good and I still don't get the hard-on Gabe has for Drake.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I seen my 1st evovle show a while back and really liked it but I never herd of some of guys on this card and would like to see it.The two main events look really good and the tag match is goona be good as well.I don't understand how it works with no titles and just records.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I was ready to jump ship, from ROH fandom, and back Gabe on this one but I think, with all due respect to him, he seemed to get a bit lost. Maybe he snafu'd himself a little with the original plans.

EVOLVE has had a couple of great one-off matches but I'm not really sure what it's raison d'etre is any more. It's kind of an American indy supercard promotion now.
THats how ROH started off...

·
Is a Snit Head
22,164 Posts
The best thing that Evolve has going for it is the lack of "epic" 20 minute undercard matches. With the exception of main events you usually don't get a match that lasts more than 15 minutes, which I personally think is fantastic.

·
Premium Member
32,163 Posts
Gabe would be best focusing on just one of EVOLVE or DGUSA and trying to build a promotion with one of them rather than just random cards every show with the odd story that nobody really cares all that much for.

Aries/Taylor should be a great main event though. Chucky T's been on a role lately and him getting longer match time is always a plus. Plus the EVOLVE cards all have Ricochet and O'Reilly given decent time for their matches to show themselves off which I always enjoy. Hopefully Gabe starts booking Silas Young more as a heel in higher tier matches cause he's another really looked over talent because he doesn't work for one of the bigger Indies. Could definitely do without the likes of Moxley and Younger being pushed so hard either by Gabe. Moxley is just a total mindfuck to me in what people that matter see in him.

It's a pretty good card though. There's 3 matches that I'll watch and a few other matches that I'm curious about that could be worth watching.

·
also known as a BUSTER
11,993 Posts
THats how ROH started off...
Don't get me wrong, I understand that it takes any company time to find its identity but the difference with ROH, as compared to your average indy company, is that they established principles, like the Code of Honor, straight away and those principles (to a certain extent) still exist today. ROH always had a unique branding. It took balls to promote pure wrestling when everyone else was doing ECW knock-offs, too.

Also, on the first ROH show, Gabe booked Eddie vs. Crazy as the semi-main event, under Daniels-Dragon-Ki, and made Daniels, Dragon and Ki into overnight sensations as a result. If ROH was working to EVOLVE's philosophy, back then, Gabe would have booked Eddie vs. Daniels and Crazy vs. Ki, to flog a one-off DVD, and the rest might not have been history.

There's nothing wrong with EVOLVE, as such, I just don't think there's enough to sink your teeth into, as far as a long-term vision goes.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts