Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hulk Hogan - face of Golden Era

Bret Hart / Shawn Michaels - face of New Generation Era

Stone Cold - face of Attitude Era
(The Rock - secondary face)

Triple H - face of Ruthless Aggression Era
(Brock Lesnar, honorable mention)

John Cena - face of PG/Universe Era

CM Punk - face of Reality Era (debatable)

Undertaker was never the face of any major era. But, he has a whole Wrestlemania winning streak dedicated to him.
Thoughts on why he never represented a era as the top face ?

·
Ted the Moth
12,866 Posts
Because he's The Undertaker! Seriously, what's so remarkable of the careers of guys like him is that they transcend eras and top faces and all that

·
Premium Member
8,457 Posts
Taker was always the top 3 of nearly all of the eras. He was never that marketable, it's not like you would see children walking around with caps and a black hat rolling their eyes in the back of their heads, sure there are some but not that many. He was always in the main event and the cornerstone of the WWE/WWF however, never the guy that they gave him the ball and everything revolved around him because sure he made some money but his gimmick was never the right type of persona to sell like others did. He was always surrounded by guys who sold much much better that didn't help his case, in the mid 90's it was Bret/Shawn mostly. In the Late 90's it was Austin/Rock. In the early 00's it was still Austin/Rock. and so forth. I guess it was just bad luck on his part.

·
Registered
21,621 Posts
Shawn Michaels - face of New Generation Era
(Bret Hart - secondary face)
Shawn Michaels wasn't the face of the New Generation. The New Generation stuff started being sold around late '93/early '94. Hart was the face of the company up until he left (apart from a 6 month stint when HBK was on top) in November 1997. HBK was then the face of the company for another 6 months'ish until he semi-retired. So to call him he face of the era is incorrect.

Kurt Angle is a major star and he was never the face of an era, so your theory is flawed. Also you have guys like Foley & Flair who were never really the face of an era in the WWE but they're still major stars.

·
Registered
4,549 Posts
Hogan-the face/ ultimate Warrior /Savage secondary, Shawn is secondary and Bret is the face of WWE and AUstin the face/Rock secondary... all these 3 generation is fan choosing as we going through Aggression Era nothing but shoving down to our throat.

·
Registered
16,460 Posts
I wouldnt say Triple H has ever been a big face of the company in the same way others have, he is pretty much been in the same postion as Undertaker in every era too.

·
The Sundance Kid
18,526 Posts
lol @ Hart being secondary to HBK during the New Generation era. Talk about revisionist history!

It's not in Taker's character to be the poster boy. His character storylines have to do with death and borderline Satanism and the supernatural. Doesn't really fit as the #1 guy in a wrestling company. Plus his look and persona aren't poster boy material either.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Shawn Michaels wasn't the face of the New Generation. The New Generation stuff started being sold around late '93/early '94. Hart was the face of the company up until he left (apart from a 6 month stint when HBK was on top) in November 1997. HBK was then the face of the company for another 6 months'ish until he semi-retired. So to call him he face of the era is incorrect.

Kurt Angle is a major star and he was never the face of an era, so your theory is flawed. Also you have guys like Foley & Flair who were never really the face of an era in the WWE but they're still major stars.
OK before 100 people call me out on one thing, I will edit my post. I think Bret Hart and Shawn Michaels are interchangeable. However, I don't want my topic to change direction.

During his prime, Flair was not in the WWE. Foley is a support act and Angle was never a big name like the others to be the face of an era. Plus he left to TNA prematurely. Others have longetivity.

When you talk about big names, you talk about
Hogan, Austin, Rock, Cena, Taker, HHH, HBK and Hart.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I wouldnt say Triple H has ever been a big face of the company in the same way others have, he is pretty much been in the same postion as Undertaker in every era too.
HHH is the face of the Ruthless Aggression Era. He was champion for almost 2 years, led Evolution, one of the most successful faction as well as BERRIED the old WCW Guys! lolz

·
Registered
5,659 Posts
I'm sure everybody else has said the same thing, but Undertaker is a cut above. He has stayed for 20+ years and still gets the biggest pop and puts on the best matches at e biggest how. He is above the number 1 guy because he himself is a major part of WWE.

·
Banned
2,080 Posts
Yeah Trips was the face of Ruthless aggression era, pretty much dominated late 2002 - mid 2005 until he put over Batista and then Cena.

As everyone said, Taker is well respected and viewed as biggest legend of WWE. He doesnt need it. He came pretty close to being the face in 1997 though but Austin was ahead of him.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm sure everybody else has said the same thing, but Undertaker is a cut above. He has stayed for 20+ years and still gets the biggest pop and puts on the best matches at e biggest how. He is above the number 1 guy because he himself is a major part of WWE.
Every Wrestlemania is booked as:

WWE Championship
World Heavyweight Title
Undertaker's Streak

This Wrestlemania was even bigger because we had Rock V Cena, Icon V Icon.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah Trips was the face of Ruthless aggression era, pretty much dominated late 2002 - mid 2005 until he put over Batista and then Cena.

As everyone said, Taker is well respected and viewed as biggest legend of WWE. He doesnt need it. He came pretty close to being the face in 1997 though but Austin was ahead of him.
This.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Because he doesn't needs it. Not that the others mentioned needs the 'face of the era' position for fame, but Undertaker is famous even if he's not in that position before.

·
Banned
2,968 Posts
Its because Taker was around for multiple Era's yet doesn't need to be the face of any of them, he is a must mentioned name in a discussion about wrestling

·
Registered
7,581 Posts
I've always seen it as being like this,

Rock and Wrestling Era of mid 1984 to early 1988 was Hulk Hogan

The Golden Era of mid 1988 to mid 1992 was Hulk Hogan

The New Generation Era from late 1992 through to mid 1995 was Bret Hart

The New Generation Era from mid 1995 through to mid 1997 was Shawn Michaels

The Attitude Era from latter 1997 through to early 1998 was Shawn Michaels

The Attitude Era from early 1998 through to early 2002 was Stone Cold Steve Austin with The Rock as co face from early 2000

The Ruthless Aggression Era from mid 2002 through to early 2005 was a combination of Triple H, Shawn Michaels and Goldberg on Raw and The Undertaker, Kurt Angle and Brock Lesnar on SmackDown

The Ruthless Aggression Era from mid 2005 through to mid 2007 was John Cena

The PG Era as i guess it's known from mid 2007 to present day is John Cena

See the beauty of The Ruthless Aggression Era was that there was no real definitive star that was any bigger than the other big names as Shawn Michaels, Triple H, The Undertaker, Kurt Angle and Brock Lesnar were all on pretty equal standing from mid 2002 onwards whilst Goldberg was arguably the biggest draw of them all going by his WCW run. Then after that you had John Cena, Batista, Kane, Randy Orton, Eddie Guerrero, Chris Benoit, Chris Jericho, The Big Show, Rob Van Dam, Booker T, Rey Mysterio and Edge all around as a packed mid card with some interchangeable for the main event scene if needed.

So i would rank The Undertaker as being one of the faces of The Ruthless Aggression Era because he was the biggest star on SmackDown once The Brand Extension had began and from mid 2002 through to early 2004 it is arguable that SmackDown was the better and more popular brand. Because Triple H was on Raw which for years now has been the undisputed number one brand it can appear as if he was the face but Triple H in that era was never like Hulk Hogan in his era, Shawn Michaels and Bret Hart in their era, Stone Cold Steve Austin and The Rock were in their era or John Cena is in his.

·
Banned
10,758 Posts
HHH was the face of WWE after Austin and Rock left.He was a rare case because he was the only heel to be face of WWE.

Taker-Great wrestler but he ain't marketable and is not a huge draw.That's why ain't a face of the company.His longevity enhanced his greatness

·
Ho!
17,737 Posts
Lesnar was the face of the ruthless aggression era... though HHH became the top star once he left for a year before putting over Batista.

Anyway, Taker was (arguably) the top star in 1997, but it's true he wasn't the "face" of an era. He's a big draw but his character was never that marketable (as mentioned). It's tough to market a character like his as the face of WWE. Maybe as ABA Taker he could've had that shtick not already been done by Austin in 1998-2000 better (just with Taker he added bandannas and motorcycles).

But since the new Gen era he's been in the top 3 of each era (arguably):

New Generation Era (1992-1997)- HBK, Bret Hart, Undertaker

Attitude Era (1998-2001) - Austin, Rock, Undertaker (if we count McMahon, Taker would be number 4)

Ruthless Aggression Era (2002-2005 WM21)- Lesnar, HHH, Undertaker

Cena Era (for lack of a better name) (2005 WM21-2008)- Cena, Batista, Undertaker

PG Era (2008-Present)- Cena, Undertaker, Batista

·
Congratulations, you played yourself
9,528 Posts
Whats this "Reality Era" bullshit. It's still the PG era and SuperCena is still the face of it.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts