Votes: 46 67.6%
  • King of Kings Triple H

Votes: 22 32.4%
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Banned
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started watching about 2002, and Michaels just screamed inferiority to Triple H. Big heel and hot world champion Triple H just sort of dominated Michaels throughout their whole feud. Triple H would then be in the world title picture for the entirety of 2002-2005. He would continue to main event till this day. Michaels, on the other hand, lost his feud to Triple H in the 2000's and barely held any world titles. He was always stuck in less than main event feuds. He would always lose his world title matches.

In 2006-2009, HBK looked second fiddle to Triple H. In 2009-2010, HBK was JBL's bitch. Whole while of 2009-2010, Triple H was seen in the WWE title picture.

HBK would then go back to the main event scene vs Taker twice at WM. Triple H, however, had an "avenging" type of storyline with Taker the next 2 WM's. It seems as if Triple H is really being portrayed as superior to HBK, and I believe in that as well.

Sorry not sorry, but Michaels is subpar to Triple H.

·
Registered
6,115 Posts
hes a better babyface than hunter and an inferior heel. both were involved in some of the best storylines of that period, either together or apart
i didnt mind 2006 dx found them quite funny as a kid, can see why someone who'd seen original dx would be disappointed by it though

as far as hhh being superior to hbk, ive always preferred hhh as a performer

·
Registered
141 Posts
HBK left for 5 Years, the 5 biggest years EVER for professional wrestling.

He WAS the biggest thing in the mid-90's, but by the time he got back HHH and Steph were a thing and HHH clearly benefitted from that.
HBK did more with what he was given IMO, as he was an incredible talent but not a visionary.
HHH excelled past him because he was a visionary, he worked tirelessly to improve and thats what got him where he is. HHH version of DX was much better because of his leadership and ability to identify and raise up talent.

But if you look at just their in-ring work HBK is involved in 6 of the 10 best matches ever.

·
You need to be yourself, you can't be no-one else.
7,174 Posts
well we know why HHH has had such an illustrious career, Ive never minded the guy too much but its quite clear he didnt get everything he did from purely being a popular guy etc, at a time when HBK hardly held a title, HHH was holding onto the WHC between 02 and 04 like no-one business.

even when HBK had the double trouble match ups with taker, HHH just had to turn around and do the same.

2006 DX was awful imo, it was like watching two middle aged dads trying to be punk rockers again, plus it never worked because I knew and everyone knew that HHH was part of that whole McMahon family, it just seemed odd that he was revolting against the whole wwe machine when it was basically partially his anyway, its just something that shouldve been left well alone, it didnt work given the circumstances in 2006, it was too forced and non funny.

·
Registered
24,740 Posts
HHH is one of the best of all time in all honesty. It's no shame to not be as good as him, HHH is a very complete package and imo the best heel ever. Though I wouldn't say HBK is way inferior to HHH, I do agree that HHH is better by a long shot... Well maybe I do think he's way inferior maybe it's just inferior seems mean to HBK lol

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

·
You need to be yourself, you can't be no-one else.
7,174 Posts
my problem with HHH is none of his matches are incredibly good, most follow the same patterns, there really isnt many moments you can really say "that was amazing" that involved HHH himself doing something.

not knocking the guy too much, I think he was always pretty reliable but he doesnt have the memorable moments that HBK has.

·
Wheel Man for SCOTT STEINER
5,600 Posts
Triple H is the most distinctively average performer int he history of professional wrestling bar none. The way that people view him makes me realise why I feel such a incredible disconnect from modern day WWE fans and the product itself. History favours the victor. And he won the right to write the books as his position was not given to him out of any of his ability, but out of connections.

Have fun worshiping mediocrity.

·
Banned
4,811 Posts
Triple H is the Hillary Clinton of wrestling, i.e. , he slept his way to the top without actually earning of his accolades, having a big PR machine, yet constantly being overshadowed by his cohort.

HBK didn't need to hoard titles to be considered great. In addition to being a belt mark, HHH needed the titles because his other work doesn't merit discussion. He was at the right place, at the right time when The Rock and Stone Cold transcended the wrestling landscape. HHH was just one of the guys they beat. Even Chyna was more popular than HHH, and he needed her to get over. Then he used Stephanie on -and -off-scrern to get over.

Kayfabe wise? Yes, HHH made sure to ask "am I fucking going over?"
Talent wise? Fuck oht of here. Nice kayfabe wrestling article though.

HBK also doesn't have Reign of Terror under his résumé. That is not a good career accomplishment, i.e., when one of your reigns is responsible for a huge loss of the audience.

You HHH marks are delusional. Go home, you're drunk off WWE's kool-aid.

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
Well, to make it short and sweet, Shawn Michaels' 1 month heel run in 2005 is better and more memorable than 90% of Triple H's career post 2001. And don't get me started on their face work or ring work lol. Shawn is light years ahead of Mr. H as a talent.

Reactions: Stormbringer

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
To put HBK in the same sentence as HHH in terms of anything pertaining to professional wrestling is spiteful.

HBK while not the draw as Hogan, Austin, Rock or Bret, was a phenomenal performer. He had a tremendous following with teenagers, and the girls loved him too. He had the ability to get a great match out of anyone (only 3 other wrestlers in history had this ability and that overrated son-in-law isnt one of them). Such great were his abilities that people who never liked him personally even attested to them; Bret, Undertaker, Rock and Austin. As far as I know, HBK was never in a relationship with a McMahon or married one. I really dont buy this rumors of Vince having a "man crush" on HBK (cause if it were true, he wouldnt have discarded HBK so easily as soon as Austin started getting hot).

Compare to that to the most overpushed wrestler in history; the moronic son-in-law, HHH. During the time when WWE was most successful (in terms of viewership), the AE, his talent relegated him to being a C+ player in the Undertaker's Ministry. He was also mooching off the New Age Outlaws who were far more popular than him. He was pencilled in to win KOR 96 until the Curtain Call incident happened, and WWE dodged the bullet. The luxuries that were afforded to this fool were mind boggling; multiple time title reigns, multiple time RR, multiple time crowing moments at PPVs and now he's going to book the promotion if Vince passes away. All these things were given to him not because of his talent but because of who he is married to, and people defend that to such degrees; its sickening. He never was the performer that HBK was and never will be. He never was the draw in the promotion unless he was booked with one. They hired Flair just so he could proclaim to the world that HHH is the better wrestler. Despite the mega push for decades that he got, he still couldnt overtake Austin, Rock, Hogan, Bret or even Cena in terms of popularity or drawing or money making, even though he and his equally moronic wife like to think that he is.

In the grand scheme of things; HHH will be known as the most force pushed wrestler in the history of the wrestling business while HBK would be known as one of the top 3 in ring performers to ever put on a pair of wrestling boots.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
HBK while not the draw as Hogan, Austin, Rock or Bret,
One of these things is not like the others. And I say that as someone that loves the Hitman.

·
Team Narcisse
7,940 Posts
Shawn didn't even want to be champion on his second run. That's the way I've always understood it. No reason to think he wouldn't have been given more runs in a brand split era if that weren't true. So kayfabe accomplishments really isn't the best way to measure whose inferior to who here. Especially considering that HHH was in the position to be able to stack his to the moon with him being the son in law. If that's your carefully picked criteria to make sure your fav of the two wins , then yeah, HHH wins. Easily. Bravo!

Now, if we are looking at performance which removes HHH's gargantuan advantage, then I'm going to go with Shawn.

By no means was HHH bad in the ring. He's a part of many classics. The problem here is that Shawn has arguably the greatest match catalogue ever. HHH's specialty was gimmick matches. All of those HIAC's and guess what....he never topped Shawn in the first one. He even, for whatever reason, handed us a measuring stick by insisting on having back to back WM matches with Taker after HBK. Do I really need to elaborate further? Hope not.

HHH was the better heel. The reign of terror gets flack, but a lot of that I feel is people using Rock and Austin as the measuring stick. He gave us great work. Just not as good as what we were spoiled to at the time. When longevity is factored in I only rank Flair higher on my all time heel list. This isn't even saying that Shawns 97-98 or his 05 heel work wasn't exceptional. This is just the one category where HHH wins

Shawn was just a better babyface. His in ring storytelling alone just made him more likable in that role. When DX reunited I always felt that they were trying to make Shawn the lackey, but he outshined HHH, imo, as it was so hilarious watching him turn his head and not want to look at the girls holding onto being the goody two shoe.

Shawn also never overstayed his welcome and never came back just to so obviously pad his resume like what HHH did with Brock, Punk, and Sting. Some guy have benefited from working with HHH later in his career. Not all. Everyone benefited from working with Shawn.

Both are great, but if we are going with overall performer even with excluding the 90's, I'm still going with Shawn all day.

·
#1 Somamaniac
13,633 Posts
You do realise that it's fake right, it's the booking that makes hhh better and higher on the card. It's not in ring talent or promos or anything it's the booking that's the only reason. If Michaels was booked higher then you would be saying hhh was inferior to hbk

1 - 20 of 51 Posts