1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
Reactions: bobby_heenan

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
I usually watch movies or see stuff on TV that I think will make a great wrestling gimmick. I don't read enough fictional stuff to really get the juices flowing whilst reading. An example of what I thought would make a good gimmick was a new Nicholas Cage film I saw on Netflix where he's got insomnia presumably based around the fact that he had been wronged and he's looking for revenge. I think it'd be cool to see a wrestler slowly breaking down in his quest for revenge to the point he develops mental health issues because he just needs that win. A passionate promo with a babyface shouting "I can't sleep! I can't eat! I must beat you before I do those things!" seems compelling and different to me but maybe I'm crazy.

Also, the movie Seven with Brad Pitt and Morgan Freeman would make a thrilling character. Raven was going to knock it off back in 02-03 but it didn't come about unfortunately.

As for Reverend gimmicks there hasn't been many. James Mitchell was probably my favourite although he was a Satanist.

·
Harvester of Sorrow
12,238 Posts
Bane from the Batman comics would make for an interesting character. Someone who was a monster wrestler but also a genius.When he's in the ring he's dominant and destructive like Kane in 1998, but he talks and acts like Raven.

·
Hardcore Casual
811 Posts
Yeah, gimmicks for wrestlers and matches. For example instead of a terrible Punjabi prison match, they could have done a Mad Max Thunderdome-Elimination Chamber crossover. Wrestling can be a great canvas for some carny shit.

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
Bane from the Batman comics would make for an interesting character. Someone who was a monster wrestler but also a genius.When he's in the ring he's dominant and destructive like Kane in 1998, but he talks and acts like Raven.
Abyss and his "Brother" in TNA came close to this. In a suit he was a lawyer looking for his brother (Abyss), in wrestling gear he was the monster Abyss.
But it was mostly a comedy gimmick.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
A social justice warrior would be a perfect gimmick for today's era but not as goofy.
That sounds like a great suggestion. People today are probably too snowflake sensitive to tolerate that kind of character. It would be like a parody of social justice issues (since wrestling gimmicks are so over the top), and I doubt that would fly.

Bane from the Batman comics would make for an interesting character.
Which reminds me, what about a character who takes steroids? Kayfabe-wise, I mean, not in real life, necessarily.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts