Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
38,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Even though xbox one and ps4 claim you dont need an internet connection to play most games, that really is not true if you think about it.

How many games are not broken out of the box and need a day one patch? Pretty much all games have a small day one patch and others have huge major day one patches. I can't imagine in this day and age not having my console hooked up to the internet for patches.

·
I'm too busy, faded in Japan with the crew
10,381 Posts
Who doesn't have access to the internet in 2016? If you can't afford internet, you shouldn't be buying vidya games.

·
Registered
8,854 Posts
Who doesn't have access to the internet in 2016? If you can't afford internet, you shouldn't be buying vidya games.
Some of us do not want to go online to play games. I got a system. I got a game. Why do I need to go online? I either play solo or with someone I know who is in the same room as me. I do not need more tracking of my actions by the REAL Big Brother, corporations.

Reactions: zrc

·
Super Moderator Going Backwards With WF
33,390 Posts
Bring back cartridges 8*D

I know patches are more or less a 'necessary evil' in most cases but every game it seems now requires a day one patch. Dunno if it most are just for big fixes or sometimes developers just can't fit all the data on the discs, even blu rays, like multiplayer stuff etc.

It's patch after patch after patch tho with some. They can be helpful and needed tho its just so annoying to get a game knowing you have to sit through a multi gigabyte update for it to run like it's supposed to tbh.

Of course patches are useful and needed in more than a few cases tbh, as you know BM with Fallout. Plus devs can add extra shit through them.

But yea, an unfortunate need in this age of gaming. I only DL them if they are truly needed anyway.

·
Registered
12,449 Posts
Even though xbox one and ps4 claim you dont need an internet connection to play most games, that really is not true if you think about it.

How many games are not broken out of the box and need a day one patch? Pretty much all games have a small day one patch and others have huge major day one patches. I can't imagine in this day and age not having my console hooked up to the internet for patches.
Day one patches don't mean games are broken or unfinished and a lot of them are pretty superficial and not necessary. For instance , a lot of games that "require" a day one patch typically have online multiplayer to some degree which you won't need if you're going to play games offline anyway. Games that go gold usually do when just a couple weeks before a game is set to release which most games are already ironed out by that time, that doesn't mean teams don't stop working on the game though but games will be fine to play pre-patch. Seriously think about it, how many games are actually broken if you play them without the day one patch? Most of the time, we don't even know what goes in a day one patch.

People make a bigger deal out of day one patches than necessary. People think a game is broken because of a day one patch, but isn't necessarily the case. Besides, gamers today are more likely to have internet connection to be able to download patches anyway. You don't typically see gamers talk about how broken a game is because they didn't install a patch . People like to mention that games were "never" this way but even that isn't really true. There were more than a fair share of games that were broken and people didn't even know it , sometimes developers would have to recall cartridges and fix games because they found out an issue because people who bought the game found something broken like WWF No Mercy deleting save files . Back then things weren't flawless , if a game had an issue developers would often patch games internally and release games without telling the consumers .

·
Indeed
16,945 Posts
People like to mention that games were "never" this way but even that isn't really true. There were more than a fair share of games that were broken and people didn't even know it , sometimes developers would have to recall cartridges and fix games because they found out an issue because people who bought the game found something broken like WWF No Mercy deleting save files . Back then things weren't flawless , if a game had an issue developers would often patch games internally and release games without telling the consumers .
This is true. Broken games remained broken back in the day unless manufacturers released new copies (sometimes under the Greatest Hits/Player's Choice labels) that fixed the glitches. However, games were simpler and less complex to make back then, so the likelihood of a really broken game or a game that crashed was a bit smaller than it is now.

·
Super Moderator Going Backwards With WF
33,390 Posts
It's easier to bare for me i guess as i only buy games via disc, so the only downloading comes through the patches TBH. I do admit though, when i see a patch and it's like 4GB or whatever, i do let out a 'sigh'. As i say though, they can be annoying but some of them are needed and can be used to add stuff into the game at any time after release. Plus you can always cancel the DL and pick and choose what to DL.

I only DL patches that are really needed. Like the latest Doom patch is mostly for MP stuff, so i have skipped it. Some games like Fallout it's monthly tho lol.

·
Custom User Title
15,224 Posts
Patches are great for fixing broken stuff obviously, but I seriously think too many people develop games with "we can patch it later" in mind, so they skimp on checking technical issues. And maybe it's not actually the people developing the game but the big company heads who want the game out as soon as possible. God knows why when they already get money by SOMEHOW getting suckers to pre-order things.

edit - yeah I was downloading the Doom patch for a bit until I realized it was multiplayer stuff and cancelled it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts