Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's really out the window that sport and now wrestling, wrestling's comeback has also gone down the tubes it looks like because Triple H had to insert himself into the whole thing. God forbid, god forbid he just like ruined the Punk thing for a couple of months. Well, it was a good four weeks.
Cagesideseats.com

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
ESPN's Bill Simmons is right. Even if Haitch ends up putting Punk over later on, he could have accomplished the same thing letting him hold on the belt without inserting himself and his crippled friends into the entire thing.

·
Premium Member
10,489 Posts
No, what ruined the angle was that they are booking this on a day-to-day basis, and have no idea where to go from here. Yeah, HHH being part of the story ruined it, but only because he hasn't turned heel. If HHH turned heel, everybody here would be proclaiming this to be the most successful feud of the 21st century.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
No, what ruined the angle was that they are booking this on a day-to-day basis, and have no idea where to go from here. And yeah, HHH being part of the story ruined it, but only because he hasn't turned heel. If HHH turned heel, everybody here would be proclaiming this to be the most successful feud of the 21st century.
Agree 100%. They have no idea how to book a long term story. They are so quick to finish within a few weeks that there is no meaningful impact to anything.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I'm still hoping for big things in the future, but the ambiguity & confusion of HHH & Nash's involvement definitely killed off some of the angle's heat. Just when it looked like CM Punk was gonna be the next big thing, they had to have him feud with faces. They should've been helping him get over with a broader fanbase, but instead it seemed like he was being tested; "hey Punk, before we put you at the top, let's see if you can keep getting face pops feuding with Cena and HHH".

I hate it so much when it seems like WWE are fucking things up just to prove a point, because they can afford to.

·
I must away and tend to my ravens
11,236 Posts
It went wrong as soon as they decided to bring Punk back after only 2 weeks, he should've been gone for 3 to 4 months. I'd first go back a little and drop the whole Cena firing thing, if only because it's been done too often recently. After he lost the title Vince, who would not be replaced at this time, would do the tournament and R-Truth would win the new belt.

NOTE - R-Truth, despite carrying the belt around, would not really be the champion

Cena would be made to work his way up from the bottom, this wouldn't take long because let's face it, he's Cena. R-Truth would hold the belt for several months but nobody, whether heel or face, would challenge for it because they wouldn't consider it the title. Instead WWE would follow up on the teased angle that had Ziggler claiming to be the only real champion on Raw and he'd get a program similar to Orton's IC title reign and face main-eventers.

With the new WWE title's credability shot to shit Vince would, out of desperation, beg Cena to challenge Truth; he would agree and win it at the next PPV. That wouldn't do the trick though and be the final straw leading to his replacement by Triple H. Triple H would bring Punk back, set up the unification match and, after Punk won, the title history would be changed with the title reigns of Truth and Cena erased from the books. Punk would also be awarded a new title belt (either brand new or just theold undisuted title) to draw a line under this entire angle.

That's what I'd do anyway.

·
Registered
8,335 Posts
I think I agree, I do think Punk could look like a massive star of HHH puts him over clean at WrestleMania but you have to question if he was needed

·
Registered
156 Posts
Seriously, fuck HHH. I'm not even one of those guys that hates him but the damn guy's ego has just put out Punk's fire.

He comes back and refuses to play second fiddle as a babyface to Punk. Always has to interrupt his promos, always has to be the focal point of show. It's not CM Punk vs HHH it's now HHH vs John Laurinitis vs Kevin Nash vs Awesome Truth vs CM Punk.

I'm just pissed that he's now COO and back on TV regularly and he's the same old HHH. Same old mannerisms and jokes. Refuses to be second to anyone bar Cena. Fuck him.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
The only saving grace i see is if there's a punk vs austin match at WM. We all know that the knee-jerk reaction is to give Cena the belt the second ratings go down by .1- so there's no chance Punk's gonna hold anything except his ice cream bars for a while.

I just hope this whole angle isn't a setup to some dick measuring contest between vince and hhh.

·
Banned
4,994 Posts
The Sports Guy speaks the truth right here. Instead of going into the Reality era, HHH tried to hijack the way to promised land by inserting himself there and instead of Punk carrying the belt, instead of Beth winning the title, instead of Christian keeping the title, we now have Cena, Kelly as champs, and we have a 52yr old fart named Kevin Nash being nothing other than he was his entire career, a leech living by sucking the life out of others.
/rant

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
No, what ruined the angle was that they are booking this on a day-to-day basis, and have no idea where to go from here. Yeah, HHH being part of the story ruined it, but only because he hasn't turned heel. If HHH turned heel, everybody here would be proclaiming this to be the most successful feud of the 21st century.
You want to know the problem with that? It's that people would still cheer HHH over Punk.

·
Registered
16,320 Posts
I seriously have no idea what everyone is complaining about, I think they have only just gotten started with Punk, nothing feels ruined at all, the storyline isnt even over, lets wait till it is before we judge anyone

·
Registered
282 Posts
The thing that ruined the CM Punk angle was CM Punk turning into a whiny bitch. I guess it's pretty appropriate considering most Punk marks are whiny bitches too.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
But then it would be a completely different feud. So far the story now is "Well, yeah... my old ass friend is being a tool but.... like you're also a dickhead... so uh... guess this should be handled huh.". It wouldn't be an amazing feud if he was heel (unless you're counting him being heel from the start and dropping the Nash involvement entirely), but it wasn't be quite the clusterfuck of "The fuck is going on?" it is now.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
vince should have just fired cena.
HHH should not have returned
Mysterio should have not won.
Cena should not have won.
Kevin nash should not have come back.
Text angle should not have been done
Text angle should not have been resolved in the dumbest way possible.

·
Recognize
21,503 Posts
They rushed the whole thing, that's why it was ruined if that's what we're calling it. For a Trips heel turn they would have had to invest months into this thing and they clearly had no intention of doing so. Turning him heel isn't easily done as proven by what is going on right now. If he turns now most of the people are probably still going to cheer for him and it would fail. Punk isn't ready for it, the fans aren't for it and the time is just all wrong. In that way, I'm totally glad they didn't try to turn him heel. That's one point for consideration.

Another is the fact that letting Punk loose on the mic is kind of a double edged sword. Yes, he has the freedom to say what he wants and can come off with awesome promos but the flip side to that is that he can also act like a little dick which didn't endear him to anybody at all and made him come out looking as the heel. If you're going to go around insulting a beloved face's wife you had better well have a better reason to do so other than because you can and it's funny. From the very first Punk/HHH promo the signs were there. They were walking a fine line between the heel and face dynamic with Punk and I don't know if it was creative who gave him his lines or if it was Punk himself coming off with that stuff like he said in a few interviews, but him acting like a little douche didn't help matters at all.

The last thing was the involvement of Nash if he couldn't wrestle. I thought that they brough him in to give Punk/HHH some time to breathe and that's exactly what it was looking like. Then the match gets changed and we get news that Nash can't wrestle. From here things just got bad. It should have been Punk/Nash as they built towards the HHH heel turn for a few months but obviously that didn't work out and we got a rushed HHH/Punk that was resting on stilts. When they removed Nash and had both Punk and HHH talk about everything under the sun except the reason they were fighting, well, that was it I suppose.

As usual, I expecting a million and one reasons as to why HHH ruined it because of course, he's HHH and he ruins everything, right? But there are several reasons why this thing didn't live up to the immense potential it had and even right now we still don't really know where it's going. Who's to say that after HITC or heading into the new year they don't pick things right back up again? I'm like, 99% sure that Punk is getting his win back but it just depends on when.

1 - 20 of 102 Posts