Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
The EST of NXT
The LegitEST BOSS
31,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

During the latest edition of 83 Weeks, WWE Hall of Famer Eric Bischoff commented on the current AEW product…

“If AEW knowingly and intentionally is writing and producing their show to appeal to that 10% of the audience that makes 90% of the noise and it’s working for them, go forth and f***ing prosper folks. Keep doing what you’re doing if that’s your goal and it’s working. If you’re growing your audience by doing what you’re doing, continue to grow your audience. I personally feel that the show does cater to the smallest but loudest percentage of the audience and does have a little bit too much of an indie feel to it. It’s not a criticism, it’s a distinction. There’s nothing wrong with Indie wrestling, there’s a lot of it that I really really enjoy.”

“In my humble opinion, AEW does need to balance with different types of storytelling and characters that have a bigger feel because right now, other than a handful of people, they kind of all feel the same. Some are way better than others, some are spectacular, Kenny Omega, The Young Bucks, but for the most part, they all kind of feel the same. I think for wrestling to continue to grow and to grow the audience beyond what it currently is, you need to find those characters that appeal to a different affinity for the project. I’m not saying they all need to be like WWE characters, but there needs to be a good balance.

I agree with Bischoff in regards to a lot of the characters feeling the same, specifically the ridiculous stables that got thrown together with a bunch of no names. There's way too much repetition on the show and very few of the wrestlers actually stand out because of it. WWE overscripts and AEW underscripts. There needs to be a happy medium.

·
Registered
9,305 Posts
AEW does have some interesting and unique characters but a lot of the bots on here hate on them for trying something non-traditional.

In that way, I think some of the talents are discouraged from going out of their comfort zone because they don't want to be put on blast by Cornette or Meltzer or the Twitter mob

·
Baby It's Violence
8,110 Posts
He's right in the fact that they've gone overboard with stables now, to where its difficult to keep track of them unless you really pay attention. Outside of Pinnacle, Elite, and Inner Circle, you really don't need to do any more than that, and instead let everybody else have more personality and character beyond being in a group. The lone exception of a four group could maybe be the Nightmare Family, but we have even some subgroups there. It's too much.

They also don't need to have the factions around all the time. You can have a singles match between two faction members without needing the other members out there.

·
Registered
5,286 Posts
I don't disagree with alot of what he's saying, but I don't really value his opinions anymore. I'm sure he thought it was a good idea to push his son in TNA too.

·
Registered
28,563 Posts
They and all of US wrestling are just missing consistently good storytelling across multiple levels of the card. If them or any other promotion in the US can remember how to book a compelling main event scene, with an interesting midcard, and exciting tag, women's, and low card stories on one show. They'll fucking win with wrestling fans being invested. But as of now it's mostly a thing where you'll for sure get an infinite amount of passable to good action in ring, with the occasional fun story.

·
The EST of NXT
The LegitEST BOSS
31,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Bischoff also said the five wrestlers he'd start a promotion with would be Randy Orton, Matt Riddle, Kenny Omega, Cody Rhodes and MJF.
How does that contradict anything that he stated? Can you for once stay on topic instead of deflecting from legitimate criticism?

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
BOSS of Bel-Air said:
How does that contradict anything that he stated? Can you for once stay on topic instead of deflecting from legitimate criticism?
It was an addendum, not a deflection. As in, a conversation point. But stay paranoid. Some of us are capable of seeing both sides, but everything is legitimate criticism to Cornette guys, even if it's AEW's catering quality. Bischoff made some valid points unlike some people on this board who have no interest in ever enjoying the product no matter what they put out.

Imagine attacking people who try to enjoy wrestling in its different forms and eras rather than spend so much of their free time hating on it. I'll never understand that state of mind, but hey...

·
Registered
16,101 Posts
They have a solid roster, they just need to put the standouts at the forefront and stop mixing them with the indy geeks that would be lucky to be jobbers on WWF Superstars in the mid 90s.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
case in point nick comoroto. He wears a straightjacket, looks like a caveman. And yet he's just a generic goon for QT Marshall

·
The EST of NXT
The LegitEST BOSS
31,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It was an addendum, not a deflection. As in, a conversation point. But stay paranoid. Some of us are capable of seeing both sides, but everything is legitimate criticism to Cornette guys, even if it's AEW's catering quality. Bischoff made some valid points unlike some people on this board who have no interest in ever enjoying the product no matter what they put out.

Imagine attacking people who try to enjoy wrestling in its different forms and eras rather than spend so much of their free time hating on it. I'll never understand that state of mind, but hey...
Again, this thread has nothing to do with Cornette. Clearly you have trouble staying on topic in threads that don't blindly worship everything AEW does, so my advice to you would be not posting in them at all, instead of spending all of your free time attempting to derail them.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
BOSS of Bel-Air said:
Again, this thread has nothing to do with Cornette. Clearly you have trouble staying on topic in threads that don't blindly worship everything AEW does, so my advice to you would be not posting in them at all, instead of spending all of your free time attempting to derail them.
1. You're one of the Cornette guys who occupies his thread and mirrors his opinions. Hence my mention of him, it's easier to categorize people when they exhibit cult-like behaviour. People who hang on his every word tend to be the ones who are most overwhelmingly negative on here.

2. I criticise AEW plenty, I just enjoy more than I hate. This may be a hard concept for 'extremists' who either see no faults or just crap all over it each and every day. Look in the referee thread on page one of the board, you'll see me being critical right there. But I am allowed to enjoy a product. The usual reason for watching an entertainment form is to enjoy it. People who just bitch about it every day are the oddities here, no one else.

3. I'll post in whatever threads I like. I love pro wrestling, have watched it since 1990, watch multiple promotions, so will comment on it when I feel like it. There's an Ignore button if you don't like that. (y)

1 - 20 of 55 Posts