Wrestling Forum banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
My mom thinks I'm cool.
2,056 Posts
His match vs HBK on the last Raw of 2003 is an absolute must-see and imo their best match together (they didn't overindulge in gimmicks in that one).

And yes, it's a singles match without a stip too!

·
Currently booking tonight’s card...
2,066 Posts
Hunter Vs Mankind -King of the Ring 97

Triple H vs Michaels RAW New Years Eve 2003

Triple H vs Jeff Hardy - 2009 Intercontinental championship on smackdown.

Hunter vs Owen Hart- Wrestlemania 14

Hunter Vs Michaels - May 1996 RAW

Triple H Vs Jericho - WWE Championship RAW, April 2000

Triple H vs Ken Shamrock - December 1998 RAW

Triple H vs Big Show - January 2000

Just to name a couple quick ones...

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Most have been mentioned. Just rewatched Backlash '99 and HHH had a pretty good match with X-Pac.

·
Registered
5,510 Posts
The caveat makes this really interesting. It highlights that- despite WWE's push of him as one of the greatest- he really doesn't have a strong catalogue of entertaining straight-up wrestling matches over 25 years. He's just about always needed some kind of gimmick/stipulation to really put his matches over the top. When I think of great HHH matches, the following comes to mind.

vs. Rock- Ladder Match- Summerslam 1998
vs. Cactus Jack- Street Fight- Rumble 2000
vs. Cactus Jack- HIAC- No Way Out 2000
vs. Rock- Ironman- Judgment Day 2000
vs. Jericho- Last Man Standing- Fully Loaded 2000
vs. Austin- 3 Stages of Hell- No Way Out 2001
vs. HBK- Unsanctioned Match- Summerslam 2002
Elimination Chamber- Survivor Series 2002
vs. Batista- HIAC- Vengeance 2005
vs. Taker- No DQ- Wrestlemania 27
vs. Taker- HIAC- Wrestlemania 28

Take away the gimmicks and it becomes much harder. The Raw 2000 match with Jericho belongs up there. I'd give him the WMXX and Backlash triple threats with HBK and Benoit, considering they didn't really use weapons or anything in those matches. That said, you could throw ME in a match with HBK and Benoit and it'd probably turn out pretty damn good. The match with HBK at the end of 2003 on Raw is super underrated when people talk about their rivalry. The WM30 match with Bryan is definitely one of his best ever- it had a stipulation, but the actual wrestling in the match didn't have gimmickry. Actually, I'd go as far to say that might be THE BEST Triple H wrestling match.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Any Triple H match vs Jeff Hardy
Triple H vs Sting WM 31
Triple H vs Dean Ambrose Roadblock
Triple H vs Randy Orton Unforgiven 2004
Triple H vs Randy Orton Royal Rumble 2005

Triple H vs Batista WM 21
Triple H vs John Cena WM 22
Triple H vs John Cena NOC 2008
Triple H vs Randy Orton WM25 (I know I'm alone on this one)
Triple H vs Daniel Bryan WM30
Triple H vs Edge GAB 2008

There's probably a lot more but those are the ones that came to mine.

It's true that HHH's best matches are usually specialty matches, he can usually tell a better story in that enviroment. I mean, who can forget Triple H vs Shawn Michaels at Summerslam 2002, that's a 5 star classic in my book.
Are alcohol sales skyrocketing in the UK too?

·
Registered
268 Posts
Watched Mankind/HHH from KOTR 97 the other day and it bored me to death. Incredibly slow for most part, crowd was dead silent, even though it picked up towards the end. Probs the worst match between them.

·
Banned
839 Posts
HHH vs Ultimate Warrior
HHH vs D'Lo Brown in a blindfold match.
HHH vs Al Snow(somewhere from some AE show).

That's all I could come up with.

Bret Hart was right- I wouldn't even put any HHH match in my Top 1000 fav matches!

·
Fearless University Graduate
15,284 Posts
I always enjoyed his first match with Undertaker at a WrestleMania. But that was more of a wild brawl as opposed a 'match'.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Sorry for your tears snowflake but we've already established that Triple H is boring.
I don't think that's entirely fair. I'm not the biggest fan os his non-gimmick matches. But he has had plenty of good and great gimmick matches over the years. Does it equal boring that you can only be entertaining in gimmick matches? If so Mick Foley and The Undertaker are some of the most boring wrestlers of all time.

·
Harvester of Sorrow
12,146 Posts
Does Backlash 2000 against The Rock count? It was a plain singles match but it had some special stipulations like Shane McMahon as the guest referee. Still very entertaining.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I don't think that's entirely fair. I'm not the biggest fan os his non-gimmick matches. But he has had plenty of good and great gimmick matches over the years. Does it equal boring that you can only be entertaining in gimmick matches? If so Mick Foley and The Undertaker are some of the most boring wrestlers of all time.
I don't think anyone suggests that Mick Foley was a great in ring wrestler. And while there are a few gimmick matches associated with The Undertaker, his best matches are mostly non-gimmick ones.

21 - 40 of 55 Posts