Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
https://news.google.com/stories/CAAqgAEICiJ6Q0JJU1ZUb0pjM1J2Y25rdE16WXdTa2dLRVFpYTRiaXFqb0FNRVUybnZFZGJRaFFsRWpORmJHeGxiaUJFWlVkbGJtVnlaWE1nWkdWbVpXNWtjeUJtY21sbGJtUnphR2x3SUhkcGRHZ2dSMlZ2Y21kbElFSjFjMmdvQUFQAQ?hl=en-US&gl=US&ceid=US%3Aen

https://wkow.com/news/2019/10/08/ellen-addresses-controversy-after-sitting-with-george-w-bush-at-packers-cowboys-game/

(WKOW) — It didn’t take long for Twitter to explode with disapproval during Sunday’s Cowboys-Packers game when Ellen DeGeneres was spotted sitting next to former President George W. Bush.

Why would Ellen, a gay, liberal entertainer sit with and share a laugh at a football game with a conservative former president who opposed gay rights, people asked?

And those were some of the nicer comments.

On her show Tuesday (airing on WKOW TV at 4 p.m.) DeGeneres addressed the controversy.

DeGeneres said she and her wife, Portia de Rossi, were invited to the game by Charlotte Jones, wife of Cowboys owner Jerry Jones.

She said she was secretly rooting for the Packers, because she is a friend of QB Aaron Rodgers.

“I’m friends with George Bush,” she said in her monologue for today’s show. “In fact, I’m friends with a lot of people who don’t share the same beliefs that I have.”

“When I say be kind to one another, I don’t mean only the people that think the same way that you do, I mean be kind to everyone.”

DeGeneres went on to thank the Jones’s for having her at the game.

·
Premium Member
4,082 Posts

Reactions: Lumpy McRighteous

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
Imagine being so fucking insular that you don't have friends you disagree with about anything political.

I'm a Western Canadian who's more or less pretty Liberal(socially at least) and I'm good friends with a guy who lives in Lousiana who voted for Trump. What? We're not allowed to be friends? We get along great, but I guess only single issues matter to some people.

·
E:16
6,195 Posts
Sitting next to a war criminal and person who actively wanted to change the constitution to promote inequality against you should be called out.

Yes, we can all have friends who are opposite in our political persuasions. But don't laugh alongside someone who pushed to ban you from getting equality or laugh with war criminals when you're a known virtue signaller.

·
Registered
9,152 Posts
Sitting next to a war criminal and person who actively wanted to change the constitution to promote inequality against you should be called out.

Yes, we can all have friends who are opposite in our political persuasions. But don't laugh alongside someone who pushed to ban you from getting equality or laugh with war criminals.
Bush is a terrorist? Or do you mean the war on terror?

·
Registered
4,733 Posts
https://news.google.com/stories/CAAqgAEICiJ6Q0JJU1ZUb0pjM1J2Y25rdE16WXdTa2dLRVFpYTRiaXFqb0FNRVUybnZFZGJRaFFsRWpORmJHeGxiaUJFWlVkbGJtVnlaWE1nWkdWbVpXNWtjeUJtY21sbGJtUnphR2x3SUhkcGRHZ2dSMlZ2Y21kbElFSjFjMmdvQUFQAQ?hl=en-US&gl=US&ceid=US%3Aen

https://wkow.com/news/2019/10/08/ellen-addresses-controversy-after-sitting-with-george-w-bush-at-packers-cowboys-game/

(WKOW) — It didn’t take long for Twitter to explode with disapproval during Sunday’s Cowboys-Packers game when Ellen DeGeneres was spotted sitting next to former President George W. Bush.

Why would Ellen, a gay, liberal entertainer sit with and share a laugh at a football game with a conservative former president who opposed gay rights, people asked?

And those were some of the nicer comments.

On her show Tuesday (airing on WKOW TV at 4 p.m.) DeGeneres addressed the controversy.

DeGeneres said she and her wife, Portia de Rossi, were invited to the game by Charlotte Jones, wife of Cowboys owner Jerry Jones.

She said she was secretly rooting for the Packers, because she is a friend of QB Aaron Rodgers.

“I’m friends with George Bush,” she said in her monologue for today’s show. “In fact, I’m friends with a lot of people who don’t share the same beliefs that I have.”

“When I say be kind to one another, I don’t mean only the people that think the same way that you do, I mean be kind to everyone.”

DeGeneres went on to thank the Jones’s for having her at the game.
Total non-story and waste of everyone's time.
On thé other side, there are quite a few people who are asking why the President would be associating with a homosexual. So the outrage is all over.

However, it is absolutely ridiculous BS. There is nothing wrong with having friends that don’t necessarily agree with you politically. I’m married to a woman who is the total opposite of me when it comes to political opinions. It works as we love each other anyway. :lol

·
The Empire will Reign again
17,205 Posts
Why do people act like political disagreements are as inconsequential as disagreeing whether pineapple belongs on pizza or not? Your political opinions are representative of your core values and beliefs. How could a ghey person be friends with a person who thinks they don't deserve equal rights? How could a refugee from a country torn apart by US political and/or military intervention be friends with a person who thinks that they're an invader and would have them separated from their children and locked in cages? How could a poor diabetic who can't afford his insulin be friends with a person who says "I don't want my taxes to go to paying for other people's healthcare"?

Politics aren't inert, they have life and death consequences for a lot of people.

·
6,195 Posts
It is a non story, it's a story about celebrities.

The overall discussion about whether you can be friends with war criminals when you paint yourself as a social justice warrior like Ellen is still legit to have.
Seeing as people are conflating just having friends with people with other opinions and being friends with those who actively seek, in some form to restrict your rights and /or bombed hundreds of thousands of civilians illegally.

·
From parts unknown
23,258 Posts
It is a non story, it's a story about celebrities.

The overall discussion about whether you can be friends with war criminals when you paint yourself as a social justice warrior like Ellen is still legit to have seeing as people are conflating just having friends with people with other opinions and being friends with those who actively seek in some form to restrict your rights and /or bombed hundreds of thousands of civilians illegally.
U and I disagree on climate change. We're still friends. I think the long term potential of friendships making someone more likely to reconsider or even soften their political opinions over time can't be overlooked.

·
Registered
975 Posts
I think this is relevant to this thread:

(Yes, lots of terrible little stereotypes depicted in this comic but I think that its message it superior to the microaggression of poor stereotyping).
someone should remake it with him being still a hater like before lol

Reactions: Chris JeriG.O.A.T

·
6,195 Posts
U and I disagree on climate change. We're still friends. I think the long term potential of friendships making someone more likely to reconsider or even soften their political opinions over time can't be overlooked.
Indeed, but just as an FYI, if the day comes and you are guilty of bombing innocent civilians I'm severing all ties :armfold:armfold.

·
From parts unknown
23,258 Posts
Indeed, but just as an FYI, if the day comes and you are guilty of bombing innocent civilians I'm severing all ties :armfold:armfold.
Fair enough.

Unfortunately I don't blame Ellen and others of being completely brainwashed to see their favorite dictators as not dictators though. It's part of American propaganda and has been since the 30's to not see America as perpetrating war crimes around the world. The indiscriminate bombing of civilians was the primary method of choice of the allies to win their part of WWII and Americans are the only ones who dropped an atom bomb. None of those atrocities were seen as criminal acts and were re-sold to the american public as justified -- a trend that continues to this day. Is a brainwashed public really guilty when it's not even wilful ignorance and just an acceptance of reality as it is?

At the same time, sure, it's easy for people on the left to call Bush a war criminal.

How often do most of them say the same about Obama without turning on someone like me for even bringing it up simply because it hurts to think of THEIR personal dear leader as a war criminal. I mean, I'm sure someone is already thinking "whataboutist" as they read this.

Where was the uproar when Ellen got a medal from Obababa the War Criminal?

Trudeau's blackface. Forgiven by the left because he "apologized sincerely".
Trudeua's pipeline. Accepted.

Partisan hacks exist on both sides. It's just getting annoying listening to both of them screeching hysterically now over every little thing.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've no issue with them sitting together. Thoughts about him being a wat criminal aside, it's good to be friends with people who you don't agree with if only to get other perspectives.

·
Innovator of Violence
64 Posts
i honestly think these far left "SJWs" get off to this kind of attention. when people get enraged and bitch at them, it enrages them.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts