Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Man oozes charisma and has the crowd in his hands. Those pops on this week’s Smackdown was reminiscent of the attitude era in terms of pops.

·
Fearless University Graduate
14,981 Posts
Man oozes charisma and has the crowd in his hands. Those pops on this week’s Smackdown was reminiscent of the attitude era in terms of pops.
Read that first sentence back.

Thats why Elias will never be the FOTC. He's charismatic and connects with the audience, that's the two things the McMahons hate the most in this World. Elias will be punished for daring to get over and we'll just have to keep deepthroating more of the same 3 people endlessly recycling the same feuds.

·
14,981 Posts
Elias is midcard at best and that's being generous.
Depends how you look at it. Its 2020 so a guy like Elias who has a personality, charisma and can actually cut a promo will never make it past the midcard because of those talents. The McMahons exclusively pick the dullest people on the roster for the Main Event.

But if guys like Rollins, Reigns, etc can be a Main Eventer, then literally anyone can be one. We're long passed the days of needing to be good enough to be a Main Eventer. If Rollins can be portrayed as this Generations Jericho/HBK then there's literally no such thing as being midcard at best. Lance Storm could be a 10 times World Champion in this Era.

·
The Empire will Reign again
16,274 Posts
Depends how you look at it. Its 2020 so a guy like Elias who has a personality, charisma and can actually cut a promo will never make it past the midcard because of those talents. The McMahons exclusively pick the dullest people on the roster for the Main Event.

But if guys like Rollins, Reigns, etc can be a Main Eventer, then literally anyone can be one. We're long passed the days of needing to be good enough to be a Main Eventer. If Rollins can be portrayed as this Generations Jericho/HBK then there's literally no such thing as being midcard at best. Lance Storm could be a 10 times World Champion in this Era.
Even though you're dissing my guys I kinda agree, I like Seth and Roman in spite of their deficiencies in the charisma and promo department-- they're good workers with superhero looks and they can act in and out of the ring well enough and I think that's exactly what Vince is looking for. We always talk about "da look" but the way I always understood it was looking larger than life, so guys like Bray and Rusev had the look to me, but I think it's specifically all about the action figure look to the exclusion of promos, charisma and unique characters.

I think Vince is scared to push the most charismatic guys because he thinks he'll lose them to Hollywood like Rock, Batista and Cena so he pushes the guys he thinks will sell the most toys without getting snatched up by Hollywood.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Elias is really good but the gimmick has got to the point of typecasting him. I’d like to see him grow as a character and change up the shtick. He’s nowhere near a top guy in this role, it’s a novelty act.

·
14,981 Posts
Even though you're dissing my guys I kinda agree, I like Seth and Roman in spite of their deficiencies in the charisma and promo department-- they're good workers with superhero looks and they can act in and out of the ring well enough and I think that's exactly what Vince is looking for. We always talk about "da look" but the way I always understood it was looking larger than life, so guys like Bray and Rusev had the look to me, but I think it's specifically all about the action figure look to the exclusion of promos, charisma and unique characters.

I think Vince is scared to push the most charismatic guys because he thinks he'll lose them to Hollywood like Rock, Batista and Cena so he pushes the guys he thinks will sell the most toys without getting snatched up by Hollywood.
Agreed on the 'look'. people tend to think the look just means jacked bodybuilder, but the look is looking larger than life.

And you're probably right on the last part. Vince has seen many of his top guys leave after they've become Stars. Its hard to see a Reigns or Rollins becoming a big deal in Hollywood or anywhere else outside the WWE. They're a safer bet to need Hollywood while a guy like Miz or similar could be successful outside the Pro Wrestling bubble and leave.

The problem is in the meantime the product is so dull because its just dull workers at the top of the card. Intentionally keeping real potential Stars out of the limelight has led to the dullest Main Event scene of all time as the same tiny group of people keep rehashing the same feuds year after year. And his complete indifference to the midcard and tag divisions means there's not even anything to look forward too there either. I mean Miz is about to be Tag Champion again, and is in a fun tag team right now but I've seen him get buried so many times by so many inferior workers that I'm not even excited for it anymore. I know it'll just be more Reigns and Rollins endlessly in the Main Event while Miz is probably jobbed out to Alexa Bliss going off how his burials are getting increasingly worse.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I keep waiting and hoping for him to get better in the ring. Same with EC3 who became relegated to a bump machine in NXT because he moved so slowly.

·
Registered
6,509 Posts
I remember people comparing his look to Macho Man. And now he is using the flying elbow drop as his finisher. I wonder if that is a coincidence.

·
Registered
3,795 Posts
Elias is one of the guys on the roster who has potential to get over in mainstream or pop culture. People dig things that are diffrient and original and the music is something that makes him stand out from the crowd and could interest casual fans.

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
And wwe will find a way to ruin it. Rumor is that he will turn heel again to wrestle Cena at mania

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
FOTC
10,335 Posts
If you were running WWE and had to pick someone to go on late night televsion (or a sports talk show) to promote the company, who would you pick?

Elias would be at the top of the list. He looks like a star, he talks like a star, he has natural charisma, and he can engage the audience.

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
Elias is an A+.

He isn’t even midcard.

Why do so many fans think wrestlers are worthless if they’re not competing for titles in the main event?

I don’t care if Elias never even comes close to breaking into the midcard. He’s an entertaining part of the show every single week.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts