Wrestling Forum banner

Edge vs Del Rio - Makes no sense at all

1445 Views 16 Replies 17 Participants Last post by  Demandred
I'm fully aware that there's a long way to go till 'mania but what the hell? They've had hardly any interaction on Smackdown, and there is absolutely no history between the two to work with. I just feel as if this match is gonna be such a big let down. There's gonna be a terrible build up, and a failed conclusion and match choice makes no sense whatsoever.

I can only this being turned round by the introduction of Christian, but everyone knows this ain't gonna happen. Just looks like 'mania is gonna suck this year.

Thoughts?
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· I must away and tend to my ravens
12,061 Posts
Edge is the champion, Del Rio is the number 1 contender, what more reason does there need to be. NONE WHATSO-FUCKING-EVER, that's what. The title should be more than enough to build a WM main-event.

· There is no duty we so much underrate as... being
19,895 Posts
Edge is the champion, Del Rio is the number 1 contender, what more reason does there need to be. NONE WHATSO-FUCKING-EVER, that's what. The title should be more than enough to build a WM main-event.
Thank you.

Also, they have had interaction on Smackdown, dating back to when Edge was just about to jump back to Smackdown from Raw. Edge defeated Del Rio (and Rey) to become #1 contender to Kane's WHC around Halloween, giving us a daisy of a feud right there with Edge/Kane :)rolleyes:). Then there was their interaction at TLC backstage, and the fact that they fought each other rather roughly in their ladder match a little bit later in the evening.

But even if they hadn't had any interaction, The Royal Rumble match victory should supersede all other considerations. Just build from there if you haven't already.

· Registered
6,512 Posts
Completely agree. Don't people get tired of the Rumble winner just so happening to have a careers worth of history with a current world champion?

I'm happy to see a big main event centred solely around the belt.

· Registered
1,507 Posts
Call me crazy but I think it's possible that WWE is planting the seeds for an Edge/Christian feud for after Wrestlemania...

We all know that Del Rio was the one who took out Christian so how about he interferes during the match and lays out Del Rio thus getting his long awaited retribution. But moments later attacks Edge leaving him lying unconscious in the ring.

Del Rio crawls over, pins Edge and steals the victory in typical heel fashion while we are left with the beginning of a feud between Edge and heel Christian.

Christian can say he's sick and tired of Edge getting all the glory and all the world titles so he decided to steal his Wrestlemania moment and create his own.

This would be a way for everything to link together and would give the Del Rio/Edge match more than one purpose (Other than putting Del Rio over).

· The Winds of Change
5,604 Posts
My only issue with the Edge/Del Rio feud for the World Title is that it seems kind of bland. It's a main event we could easily see at TLC or Extreme Rules some other PPV. It doesn't have the Wrestlemania aura around it that a World Title match on the grandest stage of them all, should have. I say they put the Intercontinental title into the mix. It would elevate the stakes of the match, making it a title for title match, while also pumping some much needed credibility back into the Intercontinental strap.

Del Rio could take the belt of Kingston at Elimination Chamber, seeing as they are feuding now and neither are in the Smackdown Elimination Chamber match. In my book if someone gets a pin fall or submission over a champion in a non title fight, they have earned themselves a title shot. If they are going to do it with Gabriel and Slater getting wins over Koslov and Santino, than they can definitely do it with Del Rio. Putting the Intercontinental title on Del Rio would add to the momentum he already has from winning the Rumble, while making him look even more credible. Taking the belt off of the most over non-main event babyface in the company will give him some welcomed heat as well.

· Registered
504 Posts
In WWE land, Edge is dodging getting screwed out of the title by Vickie at every turn, and he still has to go through EC before WM. Kayfabe-wise, there is no build-up, because that would ruin the main event of the next PPV.

· Registered
191 Posts
QUOTE]Call me crazy but I think it's possible that WWE is planting the seeds for an Edge/Christian feud for after Wrestlemania...

We all know that Del Rio was the one who took out Christian so how about he interferes during the match and lays out Del Rio thus getting his long awaited retribution. But moments later attacks Edge leaving him lying unconscious in the ring.

Del Rio crawls over, pins Edge and steals the victory in typical heel fashion while we are left with the beginning of a feud between Edge and heel Christian.

Christian can say he's sick and tired of Edge getting all the glory and all the world titles so he decided to steal his Wrestlemania moment and create his own.

This would be a way for everything to link together and would give the Del Rio/Edge match more than one purpose (Other than putting Del Rio over).[/QUOTE]

good idea to have the match serve two purposes here but id have christian come in at the end so it doesnt take away from the credibility of the finish. i think del rio would have to go over clean to get over more. or you could have del rio and edge slowly make there way to there feet and rio hits his finsher on edge to win it. so its christian with an assist rather than a steal. also credible victiory with edge still having a slight defense for losing his title to him when they have a rematch down the line. this could be a very good feud and wrestlemania title match if it is done right.

· Is a Snit Head
33,676 Posts
I think it's going to be Del Rio winning the title more than anything. I can only imagine that the WWE wants to make him one of their top guys so they had him win the Rumble and I would imagine he's going to win at Wrestlemania as well. I don't think it really matters who the champion is as the story they are going to tell will be about Del Rio realizing his self proclaimed "destiny."

You also need to remember that they have 6 weeks to make people care about this match after the Elimination Chamber.

· Dragon Slayer
6,638 Posts
The build up is awful. They're still going with Edge vs Ziggler when it should've been Edge vs ADR. The Creative Team is stupid.

Creative does stupid things but they certainly are not stupid. EC is next week. If Edge walks out of the PPV as champion, we know hes facing ADR, and then if there is no build something is wrong. But I have a feeling everything will make sense in the end. Don't be surprised if Ziggler cheats to eliminate Edge in some way, and Mysterio wins. That sets up Mysterio/ADR for the WHC (great build) and Edge/Ziggler in a grudge match at WM. If Edge wins then they will transition into build between ADR and Edge. 6 weeks is plenty of time to build for a match and we're all used to Edge having horrible build for his WM matches anyway (Booker T? Cena? Jericho?)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.