Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,145 Posts
He must have really gotten a legit second opinion. I am still pretty shocked. His retirement was so sudden and certain that no one questioned it and he went instantly into the HOF.

·
Registered
15,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Edge could be a cool mentor to the younger ones. He's still good on the mic due to his experience. So i'm interested to see what happens next. How about Christian? Can he still wrestle??

·
The Empire will Reign again
16,280 Posts
3 year contract doesn't mean it's full time, I could maybe see a contract with 70 appearances year 1, 40 appearances year 2 and 20 appearances year 3. Basically he would be sliding from an Orton deal to a Brock deal. Appearances don't necessarily mean matches either, I could see us getting a lot of Cutting Edge. His deal could also be easily rolled into a GM, manager or commentary role.

tl;dr It's not the length that matters it's the amount of appearances.

·
Banned
6,268 Posts
WWE wouldn't clear him if there was a significant chance of tragedy. He's going because he can go. I imagine taking nine years off and maybe some advancements in treatments and therapy has probably help him come a long way. Also, the business has aged up a lot, so when he was told "no" in 2011, they probably didn't realize that guys like Taker and Jericho would be still going, and that the business would be relishing having guys like him back.

·
Banned
6,268 Posts
Christian could get tested if he wanted. What sort of ring shape is he in? I think I've heard him say that he doesn't really want to wrestle for them again though. But maybe he'll see Edge kicking ass and get the bug. They'll take whoever they can get.

·
Premium Member
11,869 Posts
As someone else mentioned, I doubt Edge will be wrestling full-time. In any case, after the initial markout I shed some tears at his return. You could see in his eyes what it meant to him to be back, so I'm very happy for him. I just hope he's safe and doesn't do anything he doesn't need to do.

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
As long as the Edge is still healthy enough to go full time, then this is great news for the WWE and the fans. Edge has been gone for the better part of a decade now, so only a handful of people on each roster were around when he last wrestled. Meaning you are guaranteed fresh matches no matter which brand he ends up on. Also a lot of the younger talent on the roster can learn a lot from being in the ring with a guy like him.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Just don't take any risky bumps.

Kurt Angle by the time he was winding up his career in TNA went for a few years more than anybody thought he could and did it by being safe. With Edge, there's a bit of a difference. He's a charge first type of worker and any move he risks going head first on he really shouldn't try to attempt. This is even if he's just doing this for a majority of non-wrestling and only doing a couple matches. Don't overexert.

I'm going to cringe every time if he starts doing spears again. I'd really rather he didn't. He's got the EDGEcator, let him use that instead.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Good on him! Edge was always one of my favourites, so I'm pleased with this, even though he looks a bit like Iggy Pop now lol.

·
THE MAN has come around to collect her debts.
6,207 Posts
Wow. Good news. It will undoubtedly be on a part time basis though. As long as he doesn’t try to kill himself for the fans it should be a good run. Just give us the main event matches that we want to see over the next 3 years. AJ vs Edge, Orton vs Edge, Lesnar vs Edge maybe, Heel Reigns vs Edge, etc. Just have him make the big PPVs.

·
Banned
6,268 Posts
Say whatever you want about WWE, they are not letting Edge do physical shit if there was a reasonable chance that this was going to blow up in their faces and make them look careless. I don't know if it's time, therapy, experimental treatments or luck, but Edge is cleared because he's cleared. When they look at his neck they are not seeing a guy that shouldn't be taking bumps anymore.

Just like Daniel Bryan. There were a few people who were cringing every time he did something, and yeah, I get it -- but WWE are not going to put Bryan out there if his brain displays any sort of abnormality that is going to destroy them if something horrible happens.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Say whatever you want about WWE, they are not letting Edge do physical shit if there was a reasonable chance that this was going to blow up in their faces and make them look careless. I don't know if it's time, therapy, experimental treatments or luck, but Edge is cleared because he's cleared. When they look at his neck they are not seeing a guy that shouldn't be taking bumps anymore.

Just like Daniel Bryan. There were a few people who were cringing every time he did something, and yeah, I get it -- but WWE are not going to put Bryan out there if his brain displays any sort of abnormality that is going to destroy them if something horrible happens.
To be honest, yes, it's me. It's my over-worrying as a wrestling fan. I know these guys post-op neck surgery can still be professional enough to perform in a ring. It doesn't make me any less uncomfortable at times. I still cringe when Bryan gets bashed or slammed anywhere about the shoulder level. But then, I'm the son of a doctor and I sometimes regret taking anatomy class even when I kind of should realize the human body is resilient.

Also the Paige incident gave me a scare I still recall to this day, and that was a mere dropkick to the back.

·
Unpaid Idiot
834 Posts
I'm probably alone in this opinion, but I would rather Edge not wrestle. If his neck is as bad as we've always been told, then is an in-ring return really worth it?
And no, I don't trust doctors telling these guys "sure you can wrestle" because I always imagine that 2nd opinion to be coloured by a wad of money. Is a doctor going to care when they can't walk? "Sheesh, it seems it was worse than I thought."

1 - 20 of 22 Posts