Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Banned
10,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was reading this WWE TOP 50 list and i found Eddie ranked above Cena.

I like Eddie more than Cena.But Eddie was just a mid-carder and Cena is the top draw of the company.Cena in his rap gimmick was cheered over Eddie around 2004?No offense but i feel Eddie is more over rated since since his unfortunate passing away.

·
Asuka
96,568 Posts
Cena is 1000 times bigger than Eddie. Eddie was the most over man in the company in 2004, though, but he's a glorified midcarder. He only got 1 title reign at the end of his career like Benoit. Cena will be spoken of in the same breath as Hogan, Austin and Rock, in the elite group of the biggest stars ever.

But why pick on Eddie? Ricky Steamboat was ahead of Cena too. And Eddie. That's even MORE ridiculous. The whole list is out of whack. Kurt Angle or Jericho are not even in the top 10. Lesnar, Warrior, Benoit (expected, but still..), Punk, etc are not even on the list, Rey is ahead of Triple H, it's a clusterfuck.

·
Banned
10,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
But why pick on Eddie? Ricky Steamboat was ahead of Cena too. And Eddie. That's even MORE ridiculous. The whole list is out of whack. Kurt Angle or Jericho are not even in the top 10. CM Punk's not even on the list, Rey is ahead of Triple H, it's a clusterfuck.
Sorry for picking Eddie as an example.I never saw Ricky wrestle.

And Rey over HHH.thats not even a debate.

IWC will give excuses to make Cena worst of all time.Nice to read such dumb posts.

·
#RiseAbove
1,471 Posts
Cena.

And it's not even close.

·
Asuka
96,568 Posts
Steamboat was amazing in the ring. Utterly amazing, top 5 best ever. However, the list is CLEARLY not based on ring work, otherwise people like The Rock wouldn't make it. Jeff Hardy wouldn't even come CLOSE to it. He wouldn't even be considered if that was the requirement. It's not who's the best mic worker cause Bret was #4, it's not who's the biggest star cause HBK is #1 and Hogan is #23, it's just a completely random mess. Steamboat shouldn't be anywhere NEAR the top 10, for as good as he was in the ring. He was weak in other categories that didn't involve ring work, and a midcarder in the WWE. He got a single world title reign in the NWA over Flair, like Benoit and Eddie. Otherwise, a midcarder.

·
Registered
619 Posts
There is no way Eddie Guerrero is a bigger star than John Cena. Cena is the biggest money maker for the company in the past five years. Eddie was never the face of the company and was never considered a financial success for WWE.

Edit: When it is all said and done, Cena will be just below -- Hogan, Austin and The Rock and no one else.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
There is no way Eddie Guerrero is a bigger star than John Cena. Cena is the biggest money maker for the company in the past five years. Eddie was never the face of the company and was never considered a financial success for WWE.

Edit: When it is all said and done, Cena will be just below -- Hogan, Austin and The Rock and no one else.
Exactly .. What a fail thread .. Cena is a much much bigger star than Eddie , no disrespect to Eddie , he was one of my favourites too ..

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
It does not matter who the bigger star is.The list tells us clearly that WWE values the whole DRAWING argument & who was the better star argument as STUPID.

Clearly Eddie is miles ahead of John Cena in every possible way.Mic work or in-ring skills or charisma.

It does not matter who the BIGGER STAR is.John Cena fans do not deserve to bring the whole OVERNESS arugument.Throughout the years Cena has consistenly got MIXED responses every few months.Which other FACE OF THE COMPANY has had to hear so many "YOU CANT WRESTLE" chants.

Cena should be happy he's in the list.All the awesomeness about Cena died in 2005 & he's pretty mediocre since then.Even Escobar would have been OVER if he would have got that CONSISTENT a push.I feel distressed when Cena fans belittle some-one as incredible a performer as Eddie

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Hey i am the biggest Eddie Fan there is, i saw everything that is out there, and i respect him and in my mind he is the greatest Wrestler, the most Funny, the greatest Mic Worker and has such a Charisma, there was no Style he couldn't do. He could be serious, funny and in the Ring he could pull off everything from Lucha top Tecnical to Powerhouse, BUT Cena has been on top since 05 and won countless World Titles and has dominated the WWE since. While Eddie will go down as one of the all time greats Cena will Join the Club of Sammartino, Morales, Hogan, Rock & SCSA cause he drew so much freaking Money.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Clearly Eddie is miles ahead of John Cena in every possible way.Mic work or in-ring skills or charisma.
This.

Eddie was hella over in a very positive way the moment he died. He was well on his way to become the face of wwe probably. ANd imo 10 times more interesting to watch then Cena.

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
most people know who both are, but i think cena has a slight edge.
"Most people"? Most people? What "most people" are you talking about? Pick 100 people on the street, and I'll bet you dollars to doughnuts that only five or six AT MOST have heard of Eddie Guerrero. Far more know of John Cena.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Cena no doubt about it.

·
Registered
5,918 Posts
Ya' see it's different. Eddie could put on a good match with just about anybody and because of that, he was a great utility player. Guys like Eddie, Rey, Jericho, Show, Punk etc. could easily flip between IC level, Tag division, proper storylines and The World title scene. If somebody is injured, these utility guys are great at swooping in and making the show still watchable. Cena is great in the main event and thus they keep him there.

They're two guys who, during their primes, were extremely valuable to the company. They just played different roles.

Plus there's also the fact that Cena's had five good years since Eddie's passing, who knows what Eddie would have accomplished in that time and if it would have in any way affected Cena.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Ya' see it's different. Eddie could put on a good match with just about anybody and because of that, he was a great utility player. Guys like Eddie, Rey, Jericho, Show, Punk etc. could easily flip between IC level, Tag division, proper storylines and The World title scene. If somebody is injured, these utility guys are great at swooping in and making the show still watchable. Cena is great in the main event and thus they keep him there.

They're two guys who, during their primes, were extremely valuable to the company. They just played different roles.

Plus there's also the fact that Cena's had five good years since Eddie's passing, who knows what Eddie would have accomplished in that time and if it would have in any way affected Cena.
Completely agree...its hard to compare the 2 because of the time difference and of course PG WWE nowdays. I think Eddie had a legit shot at being bigger than Cena.

·
Registered
7,581 Posts
In reality who is the biggest star between John Cena and Eddie Guerrero is not even a question because as a mainstream star inside and outside wrestling John Cena is a millions times the star that Eddie Guerrero was but a better question would be who the hell came up with the list because when i saw it my first reaction and thought was maybe Stevie Wonder had compiled it as it is all over the place.

I am HUGE Shawn Michaels mark and no one other than Sting has ever even come close in regards to my favorite wrestler ever but for him to have been voted the biggest star in WWE history is completely mad as he was and is nowhere the level of Stone Cold Steve Austin, The Rock and Hulk Hogan, Shawn Michaels as the greatest wrestler in WWE history would be a definite yes but biggest star a definite no. This list had Hulk Hogan outside of the top ten as well if my memory serves me right whilst neither of Stone Cold Steve Austin or The Rock were even in the top three and The Undertaker was either second or third as well.

Back on topic though and as much as i loved Eddie Guerrero as an in ring performer the reality is that he was a mid card wrestler who became very over with the fan's and was given a WWE title run based on his popularity but was never a bona fide main event star or exclusive to the main event scene once he had got there. There is no doubting his in ring skills or his mic skills or even the fact that had he been given another run as champion as he was booked to do just prior to his passing that he would have been believable as the WWE/World champion but he was never a big star and if i am honest wouldn't even make the top 25 biggest stars in wrestling history.

John Cena on the other hand is the single biggest draw in wrestling today and has made more money from merchandise sales than anyone in wrestling history other than Stone Cold Steve Austin, he has also been the main man in WWE for half a decade and is known by most of the world outside of wrestling which is when you know you are a big star. John Cena may not be the greatest in ring worker but as far as mainstream appeal goes he is only behind Stone Cold Steve Austin, Hulk Hogan and The Rock and i believe that by the time he is finished in wrestling he will have been on par with The Rock.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts