Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 132 Posts

·
Banned
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Eddie Guerrero I always thought became bigger in death than he ever was in life.

I always thought Eddie was decent on the mic, average in the ring, and probably should be a jobber to main eventers and occasionally getting wins over mid cards.

He was given the belt to basically help make the Goldberg vs Lesnar feud. His reign didn't last long, and his whole I cheat cause I'm Mexican and Mexicans are dirty cheaters just offended me. I mean, was no one offended when he and Chavo were a tag team and they sold the image that latinos basically lie, cheat, and steal?

If Eddie were still around today, I have no doubt he'd be a mid card wrestler. His death gave him a bigger push than he ever got in life, not meant to be offensive, just truthful. RIP Eddie.

·
The Man
25,722 Posts
Ouch, i don't know if this will end well OP.

I always thought Eddie was a main eventer. Above average on the mic and amazing in the ring. He was easily one of the best guys on the roster and deserved any push he got.

If he were around today he would probably doing what Jericho does which isnt bad at that age. And i wasnt offended by Eddie's Lie Cheat Steal gimmick at all, same way i was offended by Cryme Tyme's as a black man. It's wrestling so i don't take those things to seriously.

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
Eddie Guerrero I always thought became bigger in death than he ever was in life.

I always thought Eddie was decent on the mic, average in the ring, and probably should be a jobber to main eventers and occasionally getting wins over mid cards.

He was given the belt to basically help make the Goldberg vs Lesnar feud. His reign didn't last long, and his whole I cheat cause I'm Mexican and Mexicans are dirty cheaters just offended me. I mean, was no one offended when he and Chavo were a tag team and they sold the image that latinos basically lie, cheat, and steal?

If Eddie were still around today, I have no doubt he'd be a mid card wrestler. His death gave him a bigger push than he ever got in life, not meant to be offensive, just truthful. RIP Eddie.
Not true. Eddie at the time was the most over wrestler on the roster, or at least very close to it. He was getting massive pops each appearance. They had actually tried to push him as a heel initially, but he kept getting cheered.

He was given the belt because the fans loved him. It's that simple.

His reign didn't last long only because his body was giving out. In Bob Holly's recent book, he says Eddie was begging for time off due to a sore back. But he couldn't get it since he was champion, which made him too valuable.

Eddie was a great talent who deserved the title reign that he received. As an overall talent, he is on the same footing as Chris Benoit and Chris Jericho.

·
Banned
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not true. Eddie at the time was the most over wrestler on the roster, or at least very close to it. He was getting massive pops each appearance. They had actually tried to push him as a heel initially, but he kept getting cheered.

He was given the belt because the fans loved him. It's that simple.

His reign didn't last long only because his body was giving out. In Bob Holly's recent book, he says Eddie was begging for time off due to a sore back. But he couldn't get it since he was champion, which made him too valuable.

Eddie was a great talent who deserved the title reign that he received. As an overall talent, he is on the same footing as Chris Benoit and Chris Jericho.
Well to me, when Eddie got his title, it was forever shadowed by Goldberg v. Lesnar; mainly because Goldberg speared Lesnar for the win.

Think about it, they used a WWE title match to start a feud that has nothing to do with the WWE title. They didn't have Goldberg spear Lesnar after the match, Eddie could have cheated to win, but they specifically wanted Goldberg to interfere and jump start the Lesnar vs. Goldberg story off that match.

Lesnar didn't do a rematch with Eddie at mania. His WWE title run in my eyes will always be something behind Lesnar vs Goldberg's feud (not that I liked Lesnar v. Goldberg).

When Eddie was hot, I always thought it was the kind of similar thing to what Zack Ryder had for a while. It would fizzle out, and it did very fast. This is why Eddie didn't get the title again. People were hot for the cheating gimmick, but that would eventually get old.

·
Registered
7,708 Posts
clearly he was a main eventer and to suggest otherwise based on your opinion is stupid. He was over enough with the crowds that the wwe saw fit to push him into the main event thus making him a main eventer. His ring skills for the majority of his career (especially towards the beginning) were top notch and he was reasonable on the mic to justify it.

·
Banned
7,268 Posts
Don't even go there.

·
Registered
10,028 Posts
Eddie was more suited for the mid card IMO. The highest mid card you can get. He wouldn't be a "star" like HBK, Cena, or HHH.

·
Banned
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
clearly he was a main eventer and to suggest otherwise based on your opinion is stupid. He was over enough with the crowds that the wwe saw fit to push him into the main event thus making him a main eventer. His ring skills for the majority of his career (especially towards the beginning) were top notch and he was reasonable on the mic to justify it.
They put Eddie in the main event for as long as they put Jack Swagger there, well a little longer. He had as much staying power as Benoit did. After Benoit's WHC reign, the odds of him getting another were small, and he was back in the mid card range, jobbing to main eventers.

Eddie was more like the flavor of the month thing, he had no staying power. He didn't get another title shot for a long time, and whether or not he would have gotten one with Batista is all speculation.

·
Aggressively White
6,238 Posts
Super worker, great on the mic, it was his excellent heel work that saved his god awful storyline over Rey's kid. Apparently, he was meant to beat Batista for the WHC right before he died.

·
Registered
10,028 Posts
Why? Because he he wasn't pushed as hard as them. Name me one thing Hunter does better than Eddie? Don't worry I'll wait.

Better look and better on the mic of course. Also, HHH is the GOAT heel.

·
Banned
3,554 Posts
To say this the best way possible, Eddie is a case of you don't know what you've got until he's gone. His death, let you go back with rose tinted glasses and way he was amazing. Don't get me wrong he has a great body of work, but let's not over look facts.

I've read that some people believe Eddie was given the belt to get it of Brock Lesnar. Brock was leaving. That may be true to some extent, but it doesn't make it the whole truth. Say right now, if Cena's elbow actually is injured and they give Bryan the belt. It doesn't mean that Bryan isn't deserving. Eddie was super over.

Now, was he a true main eventer? No. He was an upper mid carder. He has a run at the top, and a big Wrestelmania win, but after that he wasn't back their again. People forget that he opened the next Wrestlemania.

It's speculative that he was going to get another reign and a high profile feud with Shawn Michaels. Some may be true some may not have been. What we do know is he had the talent for it.

The fact is when he died, that stuff didn't happen. So he died an accomplished perfomer, who had a full career, but still could have achieved more. He's really not much different from Chris Jericho, if Chris would've died earlier. Chris was a good worker, main evented some shows, held some world titles, but wasn't the man. Eddie probably would've did the same.

·
Registered
6,640 Posts
Better look and better on the mic of course. Also, HHH is the GOAT heel.
Better on the mic? Don't kid yourself. Hunter cuts the same boring, long and drawn out promos whether he's heel or face. Eddie's promo work from 2004-2005 shits on anything HHH has ever done.

And I probably shouldn't address your 'GOAT heel' comment cause I'm pretty sure you're trolling, but his only good year on top as a heel was when he was playing second fiddle to Stephanie, Vince and Shane.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
There is no denying his death has solidified his legacy, but that doesn't mean he wasn't great to begin with. I mean John Lennon became bigger in death than he was in life, but it doesn't mean he wasn't one of the greatest song writers of his age...

I must admit though I never bought into Eddie as the WWE champion, perhaps it was because Goldberg got him the win, he cheated to beat Angle & then lost it to JBL too quickly, but his run at the top was over rated in my opinion. To me he'll always be a mid card talent who happened to be in the right place at the right time. Doesn't mean he wasn't one of the best mid card talents there was though.

·
Registered
10,028 Posts
Better on the mic? Don't kid yourself. Hunter cuts the same boring, long and drawn out promos whether he's heel or face. Eddie's promo work from 2004-2005 shits on anything HHH has ever done.

And I probably shouldn't address your 'GOAT heel' comment cause I'm pretty sure you're trolling, but his only good year on top as a heel was when he was playing second fiddle to Stephanie, Vince and Shane.

Not worth my time here. Anything you say won't convince me otherwise because you obviously don't know what a real main eventer is. HHH is the GOAT heel that is a fact and nothing but the truth. End of discussion. He drew more heat than Eddie ever did. Eddie was more of a high midcarder than main eventer. 100% fact. When Eddie was main eventing it was because Lesnar was leaving.

HHH > Eddie

1 - 20 of 132 Posts