Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
ECW had some truly great wrestling on it's programming.Great feuds been build up,great matches,grounded storylines.ECW was all about good wrestling programming.I don't really understand how people would say that the Attitude themed WWE was the same as ECW.
Simply put:it wasn't.
Why?Well,because ECW was first and foremost a wrestling program.The WWE at the same time(1997,1998,1999,2000,2001)was still first and foremost entertainment.
WWE in 1998-1999 had awful matches,but some of ECW's matches were quite different at the same time span.
You had Taz and Bigelow doing a good feud with good wrestling in it,you had RVD and Lynn put classic WRESTLING matches one after another.And we could still bring up Tanaka/Awesome and some 2 Cold Scorpio matches.
My point is that the WWE was an entertainment show filled with outlandish segments like Taker doing the Ministry thing and Corporation angle,while ECW was a hard hitting wrestling program,enhancing the hatred between two wrestlers and then having brutal matches with each other.
They were very different.The one thing that WWE had in common was the edgy and more realistic look,but that's about it.

·
Celestial Messiah
33,587 Posts
ECW was counter culture. ECW gave guys like Eddie, Austin, Foley and Jericho their big break. It introduced alot of awesome shit into the world. ECW was for the hardcore wrestling fan who wanted diversity. It had the creative genius of Paul Heyman to bring out the best in everyone.

But in the end of the day, it was just a bunch of drunk jackasses hitting each other in the head with steel chairs trying to give each other concussions. Paul Heyman will be the first guy to admit that.

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Take away the pomp, circumstance, blood, tits of both promotions. Tell me which show would look better just watching the matches, even sans bleeding.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There's a few words I'd use to describe ECW; wrestling show wouldn't be one of them.
ECW was WAY more about the wrestling itself than the WWE ever was.I doubt that's even a point of view.

ECW was counter culture.
Yes,it also made wrestling cool again in an era in which wrestling was starting to become an embarrassment for it's fans.Paul E and co deserve a lot of respect for this.
The entire industry was on a crush course before they came.

·
DAVID OTUNGA's Personal Assistant
9,747 Posts
lol why was this thread made? whoever even said they were the same?

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
There's a few words I'd use to describe ECW; wrestling show wouldn't be one of them.
You couldn't have really seen it at the time then, you probably just know the popular belief that it was all blood and violence. Sure it had an 'Extreme' ammount of violence and weapons, but it also had a great balance of pure wrestling there as well. Tell Eddie Guerrero, Chris Benoit, Dean Malenko, Chris Jericho, Lance Storm, Rey Misterio, Taz, RVD, Jerry Lynn, Juventud Guerrera, Pscycosis, Super Crazy and a whole slew of others, that there wasn't great wrestling on their program. I remember seeing 30 minute classics alot over there.

·
Proud Pastafarian =)
4,051 Posts
As king always say, Extremely Crappy Wrestling is about right, from what i have seen from ECW

to be fair tho, i didn't see everything

·
Banned
386 Posts
You couldn't have really seen it at the time then, you probably just know the popular belief that it was all blood and violence. Sure it had an 'Extreme' ammount of violence and weapons, but it also had a great balance of pure wrestling there as well. Tell Eddie Guerrero, Chris Benoit, Dean Malenko, Chris Jericho, Lance Storm, Rey Misterio, Taz, RVD, Jerry Lynn, Juventud Guerrera, Pscycosis, Super Crazy and a whole slew of others, that there wasn't great wrestling on their program. I remember seeing 30 minute classics alot over there.
Well done you watched the Rise and Fall DVD.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
There were a lot of differences between the two. ECW was a bit more realistic and focused a bit more on the actual matches, whereas WWF was edgy in a completely over the top and funny way and ultimately focused on angles more than matches.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
As king always say, Extremely Crappy Wrestling is about right, from what i have seen from ECW

to be fair tho, i didn't see everything
Yep,you've seen nothing.
WWE has been entertainment FIRST since 1984,when Vince McMahon took the charge of the company.Since then the WWE has been dominated by entertainers who can do comedy,are good actors and have a good look.Far and in between are guys like Bret Hart and Chris Benoit,but they hardly dominated the company.
ECW was a wrestling company that hired guys that could wrestle,take hard bumps,cut awesome promos and so on.
From 1993 to 1996 ECW was the far superior product because it was edgy WRESTLING and the WWE and WCW were glorified kids shows.
Even when BOTH WWE and WCW started to rip ECW off by using Heymans's ideas every time their product went stale,they hardly became more wrestling oriented and missed what ECW was all about.
The last time someone was a wrestling company first before ECW came along was WCW from 1990 to like early 1994.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts