Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why did ECW rebirth fail??

ECW is still a colt icon with wrestling fans today, it is often brought up in discussion and refered back to.

I never got to watch the TV episodes of ECW. It should of been a gold mind, and a real development for Indy stars to make that progression from the small arena's to the grand stage.

One person I think of is Daniel Bryan. A pure wrestler. he could of been major pillar to the promotion.

Who did WWE miss the boat on in regards to the rebirth??

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Angle left the company.

RVD and Sabu got busted for pot while RVD was WWE and ECW champion.

Benoit was scheduled to win the title but he killed himself, which mean Johnny Nitro would become champion. And pretty much starting with that it became a developmental ground where the championship was more or less a mid card belt.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
Why did it fail? Well, guy's like Sandman, Ball Mahoney, and Sabu are not people you want wrestling on you roster. Second, they finally push RVD after all the years of the IWC fuckheads and their "TRIPLE H HELD HIM DOWN" only for him to be caught driving with pot and lose both the WWE and ECW in 2 days.

Then, after Heyman left, Vince used it as a development ground, much like Velocity, to push for the youth. Because I don't think anybody wants to see Ball Mahoney vs. Tommy Dreamer in 2011.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
WWE had some solid Cruiserweight talent that could of transfered and they could of really got their hands into Ring Of Honor.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ball Mahoney vs. Tommy Dreamer in 2011
They were going strong and could of been the base of the company in 2006???they wouldnt of had to hold the title but could always show the passion and Hardcore edge that ECW was.

ROH of honor had so mauch talent WWE could of pulled in and really got the best of the best, and let it be its own identity??

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Imaine this for a 25 man roster....IN 2006!

from Indies:
1) CM Punk
2) Daniel Bryan
3) Alex Shelly
4) Chris Sabin
5) Brian Kendrick
6/7) Jay and Mark Briscoe
8) Samoa Joe
9) Chris Hero
10) Kevin Steen
11) Colt Cabana
12) Mistico
13) Seth Rollings
14) Steve Corino
15) Abyss

From WWE:
16) Shelton Benjamin
17) Jeff Hardy
18) Matt Hardy

19) Dudley Boys
20) RVD
21) Sabu
22) Jerry Lynn
23) Shane Douglas
24) Rhyno
25) Lance Storm

Tazz and Joey styles on commentary

·
Registered
826 Posts
It failed #1 because they got rid of Paul Heyman and #2 Vince never had much faith in it(see December to Dismember '06) and without Paul's creative and Vince's faith it was doomed to fail.

·
Registered
355 Posts
1) The original roster:

Axl - failed a drug test to even enter the company after being advertise for ONS
Balls - got suspended for wellness and was seen bitching to fans about putting thorn over
Sabu - got busted and came to work without even gear on d2d
RVD - got busted with both the WWE and ECW title
Kurt - got suspended for wellness and refused rehab
Test - wellness and refused rehab
Francine - given months to get in shape and still came in looking horrid
Credible - no showed the brands house shows when they were first starting up
Thorne - got heat on him after hurting Richards
Ariel - got heat on her for causing a scene with Batista at WM weekend
FBI - Mamaluke got heat which kept Trinity and Nunzio off tv
Holly - got hurt
Richards - spent most his time hurt
Khali - ended up being moved when ECW had an issue being broadcast over in India.

-------
2) The Lashley-Benoit window

Lashley - got over and out grew the show to the point he had to be moved to Raw
Benoit - we all know wha happened
Morrison - given the sap on a last minute whim
Monty - forced to retire because of a family problem after only losing to Punk
Burke - got taken off tv because of his attitude by most accounts behind the scenes
---------

From that point on they reset the brand. It had some gems . The Miz developed. Matt Hardy had a good run there as the main attraction. Chavo had his best stint of his career, same as Henry up in to that point. Swagger developed. Dreamer got his last glory run. Punk and Kelly got their fan bases behind them early. Big Show and Kane were also very good in their runs there carrying the show.

That brings me to the death nail of the brand which was Christian. He was the lowest drawing champ the brand had. The ratings tanked when he took the belt off a rookie Swagger, went up when Dreamer took it from him, and then tanked all the way to their death with him and Regal as center pieces because no one gave a shit about him as the center piece of a show or Regal as the main antagonist.

I'd day that from the original group to launch the brand only Big Show, Lashley, Kelly, Punk, and Dreamer actually did their job and weren't counterproductive to it actually growing do to making stupid decisions which hurt the image and marketability of the company. RVD especially should carry the albatross of it's death around his neck.

·
Know Your Worth
10,729 Posts
It failed because Heyman was fired by the WWE for not following their vision of ECW. Heyman wanted to push Punk and RVD, Vince wanted Lashley.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
1)

2) The Lashley-Benoit window

Lashley - got over and out grew the show to the point he had to be moved to Raw
Benoit - we all know wha happened
Morrison - given the sap on a last minute whim
Monty - forced to retire because of a family problem after only losing to Punk
Burke - got taken off tv because of his attitude by most accounts behind the scenes
---------

From that point on they reset the brand. It had some gems . The Miz developed. Matt Hardy had a good run there as the main attraction. Chavo had his best stint of his career, same as Henry up in to that point. Swagger developed. Dreamer got his last glory run. Punk and Kelly got their fan bases behind them early. Big Show and Kane were also very good in their runs there carrying the show.

That brings me to the death nail of the brand which was Christian. He was the lowest drawing champ the brand had. The ratings tanked when he took the belt off a rookie Swagger, went up when Dreamer took it from him, and then tanked all the way to their death with him and Regal as center pieces because no one gave a shit about him as the center piece of a show or Regal as the main antagonist.

I'd day that from the original group to launch the brand only Big Show, Lashley, Kelly, Punk, and Dreamer actually did their job and weren't counterproductive to it actually growing do to making stupid decisions which hurt the image and marketability of the company. RVD especially should carry the albatross of it's death around his neck.
I think you are showing the biggest issues here

Lashley = original ecw NO (tried to imitate Rhyno but please no where close. to much of a muscle head and no real grit behind him)
Big Show = original ecw NO
Kane = original ECW NO
Swagger = original ECW NO

they are too WWE, they never fit what ECW are. See my possible roster list from that era. that list is edgy, new school and got some real belief in it.

I also believe ECW should of stay in small dingy arena's and had every ECW PPV at the famous ECW arena.

·
Registered
355 Posts
It failed because Heyman was fired by the WWE for not following their vision of ECW. Heyman wanted to push Punk and RVD, Vince wanted Lashley.
To be fair RVD pissed on any chance of Vince giving him the ball. In fact Trips refused to put him over years ago for the very reason that he felt he couldn't handle the responsibility of being the top guy on a professional level, which in hindsight was spot on

·
Registered
355 Posts
I think you are showing the biggest issues here

Lashley = original ecw NO (tried to imitate Rhyno but please no where close. to much of a muscle head and no real grit behind him)
Big Show = original ecw NO
Kane = original ECW NO
Swagger = original ECW NO

they are too WWE, they never fit what ECW are. See my possible roster list from that era. that list is edgy, new school and got some real belief in it.

I also believe ECW should of stay in small dingy arena's and had every ECW PPV at the famous ECW arena.
I do get the use the Indy guys stuff, but the fact is the majority of the originals besides Dreamer shit the bed early on largely because they weren't used to having to conduct themselves in that level of business atmosphere, follow a drug policy, or work non spotty/gimmick matches. It is hard to say the original ECW guys or vision should have been kept when it was most of the originals who were the problem early on with it taking off.

If RVD doesn't get busted, if Sabu gives a crap, if Sandman could work, if balls/axl could pass a piss test, if Francine puts the donuts down, if Credible shows to live events, and if Angle/Test who were heavily promoted and wanted by Heyman would go to rehab the brand may have been just as much a staple of the company as SD. And we all know the Benoit if.

The other fact is that they need professional guys to sell the product and garner ratings (sci fi paid good cash to not settle for less than some name value early on) especially after those guys above dropped the ball so badly. Show, Kane, Lashley, and those guys did that job for a product that had taken hits early on in the live event box office because of the originals not being dependable and in the media after Benoit was labeled as the WWEECW star who went crazy.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts