Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, EC3 showing up at the end of Slammiversary was a great surprise. The former Impact champion released a series of great promos/vignettes leading up to it themed "Control The Narrative". One of those videos heavily teased a jump to AEW, even flashing the logo on the wall.

It got me thinking, why didn't AEW- Cody, Tony, whoever- come out and say "nope, we haven't signed him?" Would have killed some of EC3's buzz/hype and ruined Impact's surprise a considerable amount. It doesn't do any benefit to AEW if people think EC3's going there and he's not, would just look like a letdown courtesy of the Elite boys.

So then, is it just an honour thing? Would it be considered a dick move if AEW had come out and denied association with EC3? I mean, they did it to Heath Slater, but with all due respect, EC3 is a bigger deal than Heath. I found it curious...

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
I find it odd that you find it odd that a wrestling company didn't openly bury a talent for no reason whatsoever.

This is why people think us wrestling fans are awful. No one is allowed nice things without criticism of some kind.

Honestly, I think the main reason why AEW never came out and said that they didn't sign EC3 would have garnered a NEGATIVE reaction that made THEM look bad as opposed to nerfing any "buzz" around EC3. There was a not so insignificant number of people that WANTED to see EC3 in AEW. It's a vastly different scenario than the one involving Heath Slater.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
What would AEW have to gain? I like Impact but they're not on an AEW level so it's not like they're a threat to AEW so it's not like they would have anything against them. AEW would have more to lose in the reputation hit to just kill people's hopes of a story people were caring about, and why would AEW try to disappoint hardcore wrestling fans?

·
Registered
5,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I find it odd that you find it odd that a wrestling company didn't openly bury a talent for no reason whatsoever.

This is why people think us wrestling fans are awful. No one is allowed nice things without criticism of some kind.

Honestly, I think the main reason why AEW never came out and said that they didn't sign EC3 would have garnered a NEGATIVE reaction that made THEM look bad as opposed to nerfing any "buzz" around EC3. There was a not so insignificant number of people that WANTED to see EC3 in AEW. It's a vastly different scenario than the one involving Heath Slater.
I'm not saying they should have done it or that I wanted them to do it, just that I found it surprising. The Monday Night Wars were full of taking shots at the competition between WWE and WCW. And AEW aren't entirely above taking shots- Cody destroying the throne, "sloppy shop", Demo God...

The other bit is a fair answer though. Definitely a world of difference in terms of expectations between EC3 and Heath.

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Despite the online rhetoric, this isn't the Monday Night Wars. Plus there is nothing to gain from needling iMPACT they aren't in larger equation aside from occasionally doing things that are against the norm with their booking. What incentive is there for AEW to bury them, their talent, or their potential talent acquisitions? You don't punch down if you want to move up. Is there some portion of AEW's core fanbase that is anti-iMPACT that I don't know about? Companies like AEW and WWE should just keep their eyes on iMPACT as if they are the ECW in the equation if you're dead set on comparing the current climate to the Monday NIght Wars. Just know they exist mine them for talent when the time is right and ideas when they step outside the box in terms of presentation. Neither AEW or WWE are reinventing the wheel at this point or anytime soon as both companies seem perfectly content with repurposing old ones because it's easier to do.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
That makes impact interesting to me, as unlike wwe( including nxt) and aew, its either are going nostalgic booking with their new stars or milking the milk out if their established stars and have some young guys get rub on them

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
They probably didn’t say anything because none of the released talent could sign a contract until after their 90 days unless I’m mistaken

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
I'm not saying they should have done it or that I wanted them to do it, just that I found it surprising. The Monday Night Wars were full of taking shots at the competition between WWE and WCW. And AEW aren't entirely above taking shots- Cody destroying the throne, "sloppy shop", Demo God...
Aside from the fact this is nothing like the Monday Night Wars, if we want to go with that analogy when exactly were WWE and WCW taking shots at ECW to ruin things for them for no reason? If AEW is WCW and WWE is... still WWE, hypothetically if this was a Monday Night Wars thing, Impact would be the ECW, not going to be as big as the other two so no reason to harm them when you can farm them for talent and ideas.

·
Registered
5,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Aside from the fact this is nothing like the Monday Night Wars, if we want to go with that analogy when exactly were WWE and WCW taking shots at ECW to ruin things for them for no reason? If AEW is WCW and WWE is... still WWE, hypothetically if this was a Monday Night Wars thing, Impact would be the ECW, not going to be as big as the other two so no reason to harm them when you can farm them for talent and ideas.
I don't follow Impact that closely- Slammiversary was the first show I've watched in about 10 years because of the release hype- so I didn't realise it was seen as more of an ECW. Thought it kinda shared WCW billing with AEW, it used to be called WCW-lite by its detractors, no?

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
I don't follow Impact that closely- Slammiversary was the first show I've watched in about 10 years because of the release hype- so I didn't realise it was seen as more of an ECW. Thought it kinda shared WCW billing with AEW, it used to be called WCW-lite by its detractors, no?
A decade ago maybe. There has been a lot of changes(most of which have been for the better) since Anthem took over the company. A lot of that criticism stemmed from the people who booked the shows and the manner in which they did things. In the last couple of years, they've truly become their own distinct product.

·
Registered
4,593 Posts

WWE at times went out of their way to not bury ECW.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
He's not going to hurt either product that's for sure. He would definitely be put to better use in Impact than NXT. Whether that means they need him more or not is debatable.
Thanks for the better term, its not that Spud is needed in impact, but spud can be better used in impact,heck he can be used as low card player in raw or smackdown and grow on there than in nxt..

·
Registered
325 Posts

To he fair aew signed shawn spesrs who doesn't really offer much other than being friends with cody

And Chris jericho teased working with ec3

·
Registered
9,604 Posts
I still say its a swerve and he ends up in AEW too but who knows maybe not.I think Impact is just going to be to small in the long run for him. Either way if not its a place for him to be him and its good and hes getting paid

1 - 19 of 19 Posts