Wrestling Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
They were huge, no doubt, especially in 1998. I was more of an NWO fan than DX fan back in 1997 and 1998. Every boy in school watched wrestling and that was the debate in school, who did you like more - NWO or DX? They were very sophomoric in their humor that’s for sure. I can remember playing baseball on a 15 and 16 year old team in 1998 and one of my teammates was obsessed with DX. He would incessantly talk about DX and how funny they were, especially on Tuesday’s in the dugout during games about their antics on the previous Raw. I mean I liked DX and thought they had some funny moments but I did not like them as much as my baseball teammate. Triple H in DX after WM 14 was the only time I’ve ever liked him. So DX also provided the only time period where I liked Triple H.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
The original version in 1997-early 1998 got over because it catapulted the company out of the New Generation/cartoon character era into the Attitude Era. The company flirted with edgier content, but DX took them over the top.

The HHH led gang from 1998-WM 15 was just juvenile and stupid, but par for the AE course. The reunion in 1999 was just eclipsed by HHH being with Stephanie and later the McMahon-Helmsley Era when Vince and Shane joined them.

The 2006-07 version with HHH and HBK was not great because HHH was defined by his Game gimmick and HBK was out of place because he was not going to do all the antics due to his religion. The last version from 2009-early was just cringe as DX in the PG era was just not good.

·
Registered
21,650 Posts
I think it's important to understand the cultural context of the time. The 90's was time where counter culture was THE cool thing and DX epitomised that. The stuff they were doing, is stuff you can't really get away with doing...but at the time, it's was flying and they were pushing boundaries

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
As a kid I loved DX but as a adult I find them to be corny. The invading of WCW segment is terribly overrated.

·
Registered
6,920 Posts
I can't argue OP's sentiment too much as I agree to an extent.

DX served its purpose in getting HBK back as a heel to help flesh out his character linking it to Hall and Nash and NWO.

It was a great way to add layers to HBK to have him usher in Austin as champion. HBK being promoted as the brains behind NWO and the man who beat The Outsiders was smart. The man who beat the man Austin couldn't beat was also a side selling point.

Bringing in X-Pac and connecting WCW holding Hall and Nash hostage was also a nice touch. After the Nation feud though they were just kind of there. As someone said, it should have been done with after WM 15 with the HHH heel turn.

·
alexa = greatest of all time!
Blissy's #1 fan
4,147 Posts
98 with the NOD/Harts stuff they were good

2006 and especially 2009 they made raw unwatchable.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts