Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if this has been discussed much, maybe it has, but I really want to know if I'm just crazy.

I honestly, for the life of me, do not understand the hype around DX. And I'm not some smark who just craps on the attidude era. As my username suggests, I am an attitude era mark.

Their formation with Rick Rude was plain boring. Chyna was garbage and HHH was still a complete bore at this point. It was mildly interesting seeing Shawn getting more edgy and moving away from the "Boy Toy" thing.

Then add in the New Age Outlaws. Road Dogg had just come off his "Rodie" Jesse James gimmick, which was hot garbage, and Billy Gunn had just been Rockabilly, possibly the worst thing that has ever happened to the world. Two garbage wrestlers who owe their entire career to that time they threw Foley and Funk off the ramp in a trash dump.

Then add in X Pac, most people's choice for the worst wrestler of the attitude era.

So Rick Rude leaves, and you're left with 4 wrestlers everyone hates, alongside HBK and a not-over HHH.

I get that they were getting edgy and did some funny stuff, but the only thing truly memorable was the tank thing, and even that wasn't inherently entertaining, it was just wild seeing WWF actually show up at WCW.

So yeah, I just can't understand why DX is so fondly looked back on as a staple of the attitude era. I view them as one of the least enjoyable parts of it.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I liked the NAO other than that....meh. They were clearly an nWo rip off.
Were they really an NWO ripoff though? What does that even mean? DX never had more than 5 total members (4 primarily being wrestlers). They never were out to take over the organization like the NWO. The whole thing was about guys like HBK and HHH begging Vince to loosen things up and let them act more like themselves with the volume turned up. I guess you can say the NWO inspired that type of attitude. But the faction itself and their goals weren't a straight ripoff.

·
Butter My Arse
11,881 Posts
The original DX was the king. Okay, Rick Rude was not necessarily needed but the original trio of HBK, HHH and Chyna was the best phase of DX. In between the skits and the jerking around like high school jocks, they elicited insane levels of heat, even in an era where the notion of ‘cool heel’ was starting to gain traction. They were a product of it’s time though, they definitely wouldn’t get away with half the shit they pulled in todays landscape.

As for the NAO, I feel their best spell was before they joined DX. They carved out a nice little niche as a fantastic heel tag team with their feuds against LOD and Cactus/Funk and sometimes I feel like they were drafted into a bigger group way too soon. With X-Pac returning and joining forces with Triple H (who could never go back solo at this stage), I guess they felt that two separate heel tandems would saturate the waters a bit, so they just joined them altogether.

Going into 1999 though I think they were definitely on their way out and by the time Triple H turned heel at WM 14, I think that’s when it should have died full stop. The fact X-Pac and Road Dogg carried on the name by themselves was a piss take.

·
Registered
719 Posts
The second version lost a lot of momentum as faces before HHH reverted back to being a heel. It didn't help that he was injured for large chunks of that period.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Oh no it was not lowkey lol.. by the time 1999 ushered, for me they became annoying af.

They were cool at one point &their antics were very fun to watch for chuckles, but after a while you notice how much more badass the other characters on the show are and these guys are still doing the pranks and jokes and showing their asses etc.. Triple h especially, you can tell he's trying too hard to be funny in the promos compared to Road Dogg who it just comes natural to him. And it's not like these guys were bulletproof, they got served a million times on the promos were a heel would dice them and eat them up completely on the mic

The feud with the Nation was cool and my favourite stable war in WWE, but them being in the main event picture in 1999 with the corporation and Mankind made me realize that these guys are really annoying. Especially since they're doing the same crap they were doing in the midcard. Triple h didn't evolve from the start of 98 to 99, contrary to The Rock who actually used his time with the Nation to find his niche and build himself up. It wasn't until HHH turned heel and rehashed his character with adding the devious side to it that he became a really credible guy to win the title. Had he remained in that DX crap he wouldn't dream of finding the success he had.

·
Registered
168 Posts
To me, they were alright as a faction. Nothing I loved but nothing I hated either.

Why were they so popular?

Kids love naughty, crude things that their parents would be appalled if they heard it even if they didn't quite know what it meant* and they said the things young men wished they could get away with saying to their boss, women and authority figures.

They knew this, they played into it.

*I remember in the late nineties (maybe 2000), going to a sports camp training thing as a 14 year old. Some kids there were continuously going around doing crotch jobs and going "suck it!" to kids they didn't like, anyone who answered anything they said etc. One did it, an older kid asked why he was asking for a blowjob and he was like "what's a blowjob"? Kids didn't even know what it meant but were saying it because it rebellious, crude, out there. That was the late nineties though.

·
Registered
679 Posts
To me, they were alright as a faction. Nothing I loved but nothing I hated either.

Kids love naughty, crude things that their parents would be appalled if they heard it even if they didn't quite know what it meant* and they said the things young men wished they could get away with saying to their boss, women and authority figures.

*I remember in the late nineties (maybe 2000), going to a sports camp training thing as a 14 year old. Some kids there were continuously going around doing crotch jobs and going "suck it!" to kids they didn't like, anyone who answered anything they said etc. One did it, an older kid asked why he was asking for a blowjob and he was like "what's a blowjob"? Kids didn't even know what it meant but were saying it because it rebellious, crude, out there. That was the late nineties though.
There's no denying their popularity (though WWE tries to hype them as though they were nWo's level), and what they brought to the show was significant as they helped established the show's identity with their adult content &quirks.
They were fun not denying, but somewhere maybe in mid 98, a few months after Wrestlemania 14, they reached a point where they rode their limit and they were still doing the same shit everytime.. it got to a point of "yeah we get it you do ass/dick pranks" and by the time they entered the title scene with Austin, Foley, Rock in 99 they were just too repetitive and annoying. They just couldn't evolve not as a group nor as individuals, it wasn't until HHH turned on them and rehashed his style that he became someone with magnitude.

·
Hardcore Casual
1,234 Posts
No doubt that HBK, Tripe H and even Chyna made better singles wrestlers than a faction. Admittedly, DX is probably the least impressive stable when comparing its collective impact to the impact of the individual singles wrestlers therein (say, compared to 4 Horsemen or nWo).

While it may have gotten stale, I do think DX was pivotal in helping both HBK and Triple H transition to new characters. Both HBK's transformation from whitemeat babyface to arrogant heel and Triple H's from Connecticut Blueblood to Cerebral assassin appeared more organic as a result of being involved with DX.

With respect to Road Dogg and Billy Gunn, there's also no denying that being in DX elevated them above anything they did before or since. I personally really don't care for them, but it was obviously not a bad career choice for them.

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Were they really an NWO ripoff though? What does that even mean? DX never had more than 5 total members (4 primarily being wrestlers). They never were out to take over the organization like the NWO. The whole thing was about guys like HBK and HHH begging Vince to loosen things up and let them act more like themselves with the volume turned up. I guess you can say the NWO inspired that type of attitude. But the faction itself and their goals weren't a straight ripoff.
They were definitely a rip off, especially in the stages:

Michaels ---> Hogan
Rick Rude ---> Ted Dibiase
Tyson ---> Rodman
NAO---> Outsiders

Any fan that watched both shows during that time would tell you that they were a rip off.

I remember watching Shawn playing air guitar in the ring with an all out outfit and a black weight lifting belt. lol. Maybe he was just being a smart ass.

They never were out to take over the organization like the NWO
Maybe not when they were babyfaces, but heel DX aim was taking over the WWE, which they did in late 1999 - early 2000.

Just like the nWo they've always been anti authority.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
It's sad that to this day those guys really believe that people were coming to the shows in 97-99 to see them. Austin was the draw. I don't doubt that people thought they were funny and a good time, but people were coming to the shows to see what Austin was going to do.

HHH had to find some way to make it seem like he was at the forefront of the Attitude Era. By the time he actually got super over in 2000, the Attitude Era had been in full swing for years.

·
Registered
93 Posts
They were neat up until they expanded beyond the OG's.

·
Southern Pride
4,770 Posts
Not everything is for everyone.

The only time that DX got annoying for me was the reunions and "one more run" when both HBK and Triple H were trying hard to be funny and it wasn't working. They were viewed as two older men by that point. The group wasn't that bad back in the prime of DX, even after watching the old episodes in the modern era of wrestling...but that's just me.

·
Registered
251 Posts

Lol this is a good point. On playgrounds in the late 90's, kids were either doing crotch chops or imitating stunners. DX was over, period.

·
Registered
251 Posts
They were definitely a rip off, especially in the stages:

Michaels ---> Hogan
Rick Rude ---> Ted Dibiase
Tyson ---> Rodman
NAO---> Outsiders

Any fan that watched both shows during that time would tell you that they were a rip off.

I remember watching Shawn playing air guitar in the ring with an all out outfit and a black weight lifting belt. lol. Maybe he was just being a smart ass.

Maybe not when they were babyfaces, but heel DX aim was taking over the WWE, which they did in late 1999 - early 2000.

Just like the nWo they've always been anti authority.
The NWO had like 30 members, of course you can find a top guy, a tag team, a manager, an outside gimmick guy. Pretty much every face and even some of the heels were anti-authority in the attitude era. Again, they weren't an invasion or take over the company faction and they didn't have a ton of members like the NWO. To be quite honest I think they were more influenced by the Horsemen than the NWO. To me, they were essentially the Horsemen but with dick jokes.

HBK playing the air guitar was mocking Hogan. They were making fun of the upcoming Hogan-Piper cage match I believe and calling it the 'Age in the Cage' :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
15 Posts
I can't agree with your sentiments sir.

The only time i could tolerate HHH was in DX.

Triple H MMMCmahon and stephanie were far worse.

The Authority will forever be the worsestst(not a word i know) faction in wrasslin history.

No doubt about it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts