Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imo hhh got buried by hbk and the rock and he looked legit pissed. I thought hhh and hbk were best friends at this time so I was shocked when hbk called him midcard for life that only hangs with world champions. Little did hbk know that hhh would become wed champion a year later, the irony.

·
You need to be yourself, you can't be no-one else.
7,174 Posts
Imo hhh got buried by hbk and the rock and he looked legit pissed. I thought hhh and hbk were best friends at this time so I was shocked when hbk called him midcard for life that only hangs with world champions. Little did hbk know that hhh would become wed champion a year later, the irony.
I do remember some point in time where HHH and shawn did actually fall out and didn't speak for some time.

I can't remember the details about it though. I do remember shawn talking about it. Mightve been abit later than this.

edit: according some reddit post it was 2001
I might be wrong on this, but I'm pretty sure the falling out that HBK and HHH had was because Shawn was supposed to have a match with Hunter at Mania 17. Shawn fucked the whole thing up by being drugged out of his mind and in no shape to compete.

Both guys have said in DVD interviews that the match was supposed to happen, but Shawn wasn't in wrestling shape. So then things were shuffled so that Shawn was supposed to interfere in HHH/Taker instead, planting the seeds for the eventual feud, but then Shawn showed up high as fuck.

·
Registered
904 Posts
For years, I thought when they impersonated The Nation a few months earlier that it was original. BUT, the impersonation angles were a ripoff of the nWo doing a parody of the Four Horsemen and Arn Anderson's retirement speech.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Rocky had many times been on the verge, if not directly at, a blatant attempt to go shoot on HHH, and I've seen HHH come pretty close at doing the same to Rock. But this has tended to be a case where the crowd hears it and they think it's just all funny shit. In those Corporation days of course, the controversy created cash. You were kind of supposed to walk the line. You could literally say anything about another guy and hardly get in real trouble for it.

I think if egos were bruised, it wasn't permanent and they ultimately would see the business side of things. HHH, in particular, seems to have been an easy guy to try a burial on, but he's always been resilient. He could've unloaded on HBK too if he wanted, and there would've been plenty to talk about.

·
Parks and Recreation Dept.
7,420 Posts
I just re-watched that segment on YouTube. HHH doing blackface, Jason Sensation calling Shawn 'HB-Gay'; definitely wouldn't fly in 2019, lol.

And yeah, you could tell those "mid-card" shots at Hunter got to him because he steers the promo back to kayfabe right away.

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
I think if egos were bruised, it wasn't permanent and they ultimately would see the business side of things. HHH, in particular, seems to have been an easy guy to try a burial on, but he's always been resilient. He could've unloaded on HBK too if he wanted, and there would've been plenty to talk about.
You're giving HHH way to much credit. I'm not the biggest Shawn fan, but at his best there are only few guys I can think of that can go toe to toe with him verbally, and HHH certainly isn't one of them. I think a week before that segment took place, X-Pac tried his luck with him and Shawn totally killed him, it was brutal. The same thing could've happened to HHH.

Btw, this is the promo that the op was referring to:

·
Registered
176 Posts
It's moments like this that kind of make me wish that Shawn was still in action during the Attitude Era (despite being an absolute prick.) Dude was born to play a scumbag heel from the beginning. Him and Pillman are my two what-ifs for that time period, the shoot promos between them alone would have been legendary.

·
Registered
4,464 Posts
Rocky had many times been on the verge, if not directly at, a blatant attempt to go shoot on HHH, and I've seen HHH come pretty close at doing the same to Rock. But this has tended to be a case where the crowd hears it and they think it's just all funny shit. In those Corporation days of course, the controversy created cash. You were kind of supposed to walk the line. You could literally say anything about another guy and hardly get in real trouble for it.

Trips used to shoot on Rock all the time. I believe that Patterson or one of those guys got an interview about it where Rock was complaining about Trips always going off script. They responded by telling him to do the same.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Trips used to shoot on Rock all the time. I believe that Patterson or one of those guys got an interview about it where Rock was complaining about Trips always going off script. They responded by telling him to do the same.
Yep. But I bet they would admit nowadays it made for great TV looking back on it. I'm sure Rock would.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts