Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has there been any consideration towards not drawing such a bright-line rule against individual threads about documentary DVD discussion?

I'm a big fan of the general thread, but it fills up about five pages per day of inside jokes and reviews of classic wrestlers and events. By not allowing individual threads for WWE documentary DVDs (which really only come out once every two months or so), I feel like we're limiting our ability to discuss these topics as well as we could.

I understand the potential problem with not regulating DVD discussion (unlike RAWs and PPVs, not everyone sees them at the same time), as we don't want threads popping up down the line saying: "Hey, gang, did you see John Cena: Word Life? I just bought it, and it's pretty awesome!" But with DVDs that are just coming out that week or that month, is it worth closing down a discussion about a brand new documentary that is free from interruption from someone posting their Top 100 WCW matches or some joke about Chris Benoit?

Again, I love our general thread, but things move so fast in there, there's never a chance to really discuss a documentary DVD without everyone else being on a completely different topic the next morning.

·
Administrator
33,687 Posts
I see what you're saying but think how quickly the thread would get buried amongst all the other stuff going on the in the section. At least if everything is kept in the one thread everyone knows where to go if they want to discuss a DVD.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I see what you're saying but think how quickly the thread would get buried amongst all the other stuff going on the in the section. At least if everything is kept in the one thread everyone knows where to go if they want to discuss a DVD.
To be honest, Platt, the Michaels/Hart DVD thread with its three posts in an hour (prior to lock) was more discussion of the DVD than anyone could get going in the general thread - and it was attempted.

It's somewhat frustrating seeing that a documentary cannot have its own thread because we have a "DVD/Match/Show" thread, but Michaels/Undertaker at WrestleMania 25 can. Moderators routinely close DVD threads (to the point that people, including myself, may be hesitant to reply at all) but allow Match threads to continue - and as a result, match threads are often some of our more popular threads.

Just a little leeway would've been nice here, because documentaries are hard to discuss in the general thread when the same ten people that always post in there haven't seen it and subsequently (but unintentionally) bury any mention of it under five pages of talking about Davey Richards' inability to sell.

I guess it's unspoken, but the "DVD/Match/Show" thread has been a speakeasy forum for a certain brand of discussion for a long time. That's fine, and it's still a great place to talk about matches, but discussing documentary DVDs with a wide-range of people just doesn't happen there or anywhere else in this forum, and it's somewhat frustrating, because it's as simple as not closing an active first-page thread the next time someone makes one.

·
BLUE IS BACK
9,773 Posts
to be fair I never go into the general thread for the same reason. Stickys can be a BIG mess. Especially this one considering it covers a LOT of options. Maybe use that one for OLDER docs, and new threads for new ones are ok?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts