Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/07/08/1721542/more-with-wwe-hall-of-famer-dusty.html

Who to watch in FCW?

``We have a couple of 7-footers who are really untapped,'' Rhodes said, ``like Eli Cottonwood, of course, who has moved up to WWE NXT, the Tuesday night show [10 p.m. Syfy] with the pros,'' Rhodes said. ``Keep an eye on Alex Riley, the current Florida heavyweight champion. [Riley is also on WWE NXT.] I think he has the opportunity to be the next big deal. I really do.

``There's also a young kid here in FCW, Johnny Curtis, who you'll be able to see in Kissimmee and different FCW shows I'm on during the tour. I think he has great upside, and some of the divas have upside.

``To me, Alex Riley, right now, is the pick of the litter.''

Read more: http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/07/08/1721542/more-with-wwe-hall-of-famer-dusty.html#ixzz0t8qjC6U4

·
Asuka
96,214 Posts
Smart guy.

Riley can easily be a main eventer, but it's gonna be so easy for all of the losers on NXT (He won't win, Hennig is clearly in line for that push) to get lost in the shuffle that I expect failure. WWE doesn't seem to have any interest in performers who are.....interesting. Ironically enough.

·
Young winger learning from greats such as Downing
9,856 Posts
Rhodes should know, as he's seen Riley's growth first hand.

I believe him. Whether or not Riley wins NXT, he'll go far. This clearly is not a one-man show. There's too much talent (both seasons 1 and 2) for it to be.

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
Riley is definetely good on the stick but I'm still not blown away by him. Kinda expected more than just your typical jock character.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Many smarks seem to love grown men who can't move on from their state championship glory.

(Which is why LeBron is having a decision show on ESPN.)

·
Asuka
96,214 Posts
He's the pick of the litter because they're pushing him as such.
No, that's how they're pushing Hennig. He's got the most credible pro, he's the only undefeated competitor and they're pushing his lineage all the time.

Riley just has the natural charisma/appeal that nobody else has, other than Watson, and Watson hasn't developed to Riley's level.

·
Lose for Hughes!
3,798 Posts
Riley is without a doubt the most exciting rookie on Season 2. His charisma is simply amazing and his potential is endless. Just because he supposedly won't win NXT does not mean that he will get lost in the shuffle and never succeed... he is not Heath Slater or Darren Young. Time will tell, just because WWE isn't really showing interest in their mid-carders like the Miz at the current time doesn't mean it will be like that forever.

I'd like to see Riley eventually in WWE after Season 2 of NXT is over and him actually having to work his way to the top. I don't want to see another Nexus angle with the new rookies. Giving him a IC or US title run and really establishing his character is what I'd like to see. The guy has the ability to be really over as a face or gain major heat as a heel and Vince knows this. I highly doubt he will misuse Riley by sticking him in a tag-team or pointless mid-card feuds. Vince knows that Alex Riley really has all the weapons to succeed.

·
Young winger learning from greats such as Downing
9,856 Posts
I'd never confuse him with The Miz.

I see promise in Riley that I no longer see in Miz. Riley is also more talented in every aspect of the game.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't think the Miz comparisons are very accurate. They are both good "talkers" but Miz is more serious, acts pissed off all the time, while Riley is happy and joking and always laughing. Riley will be a "fun" heel. Like Angle used to be.

·
Asuka
96,214 Posts
I don't see the Miz comparisons other than that they're cocky heels with a lot of charisma. I haven't decided who's the better mic worker yet, but Riley has a main event look and Miz doesn't, he appears to be better in the ring from the small amount of his ring work I've seen, which isn't hard, and their gimmicks aren't similar, but they do have chemistry with each other which makes it easy to compare them.

·
¡GOLDADO!
2,309 Posts
Alex Riley will be a star and he is arguably the "pick of the litter" but you could also say the same about Percy Watson or Kaval. Where the NXT standouts go from here is up to them and how they are booked but right now Riley, Watson and Kaval are the reasons I tune in to NXT.

·
Registered
210 Posts
He's just another cocky heel. I swear that's the only kind of heel that WWE has.

·
Lose for Hughes!
3,798 Posts
The comparisons between Alex Riley & the Miz are justified and do not surprise me. Both guys have amazing mic skills, tons of charisma, main-event potential, similar body types, similar looking facial features, cocky as hell, lots of what the kids call "swag", and somewhat similar move-sets (Riley's is better though).

But the one big difference that I see in the two wrestlers is that it seems Alex Riley is already on same level as the Miz. It took the Miz a couple of years to really find and establish his character and really get over with the crowd. Alex Riley seems the most "big match ready" out of all the Season 2 rookies, his great charisma really makes it come across as if the guy could become a top mid-carder or legitimate main-eventer whenever he would like whether it be tomorrow, 2 weeks from now, or 6 months from now.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts