Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What exactly does management see in Drew McIntyre and Cody Rhodes that deserves a push at the expense of the other midcard faces? I’m sure I’m not the only ones that noticed that the most recently released wrestlers- Kaval, MVP, and Matt Hardy- where all buried at the expense of these two. Now jobbing to other wrestlers before leaving is not entirely new, but these guys didn’t get fired. They ASKED to be released and one can’t help but feel that their reasons to quit and their status within the WWE are more than coincidental.

What’s also strange is that they are booked differently than the heels we are use to (especially for the midcard division). Instead of being booked as cowardly heels, they are booked as wrestlers that can go toe to toe with the others. Kofi and Christian barely scrape by with wins (in fact, I never seen Christian successfully use the killswitch against Drew to finish a match), Ezekial Jackson’s match against Drew ends in a draw, and they only lose tag matches through dissention and NOT because the other team was better.

This wouldn’t really bother me except for two reasons. One, they are booked way too strongly (yes, this is a complaint). I understand that some other wrestlers are there to make others look good but when you have Chris Masters “feuding” with Cody Rhodes because all the other midcard faces quit, you have problems (and sadly, that “feud” only lasted one match where Cody Rhodes, you guessed it, won). Some would argue that it’s just a result of having a small roster but I would argue that the midcard division would be fine if creative writing didn’t bury MVP, Matt Hardy, and Kaval to the point where they quit. That’s why we have Dolph Ziggler mostly competing in non-title interbrand matches and why they moved Big Zeke to Smackdown. They have very little choice. Either one of them turns face or Christian and Zeke come back. But honestly, either solution is going to end up with Drew and Cody getting the upperhand. No other wrestler beside the main event has been built up as a serious contender.

Which I guess leads me to my second problem. Why? I understand that Cody and Drew are in good terms with management but what exactly do they do outside/inside their company that warrants a push like this? I’m not arguing that they shouldn’t get push; I’m arguing that their performance doesn’t warrant a push where they completely dominate the midcard division. You could somewhat justify Cody’s push because he at least garners consistent heat, but Drew? Drew has been associated with Vince McMahon, unjustly had everything handed to him (Kayfabe-wise), and buried wrestlers that were huge fan favorites. Yet, if Drew (a guy who has trouble gaining heat) went against Kofi, Rey Mysterio, or Big Show, people would predict Drew’s chances of winning based on how well-liked he is backstage (hopefully that makes sense).

So why is it? Is it because who they associate backstage? Is it because Smackdown’s creative team is more interested in heels at the moment? Is it because WWE’s new youth movement caters to these new superstars who just happen to be heels at the moment? Maybe there is nothing wrong with the way they are pushed and I’m just being heavily biased? Or something else?
Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Hey, in uhh... case you haven't noticed: Kaval, MVP, and Matt have been released (where Matt & MVP asked to leave).

And Rhodes is Dashing, enough said!

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
...I know they have been released. I mentioned that in my first paragraph.

I get the feeling you either didn't read my post and assumed I was just bashing Cody Rhodes, or you didn't understand what I was saying (in which case, I'ed be more than happy to explain myself).

·
Banned
1,988 Posts
I agree that both Rhodes and McIntyre are overrated. Cody is winning to much and McIntyre has zero personality. Seriously, if they are the future of SD, this company is screwed.

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
They're very young, have a good look, and are fairly talented. Guess the hope is, by the time their about 30 they'll be young-ish with a good look, and very talented. I'd say Rhodes is a lot better than McIntyre, though. But McIntyre is more physically imposing.

As for the way their booked, I have a feeling one of them is going to get a face turn within the next year or so. That might explain why they're booked that way now. To build them up.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
McIntyre is boring as shit.

Cody is only where he is because of his family.

People like MVP and Kaval have no respect and nothing to fall back on, whereas if you have a good look / family who put time in the WWE you can be as average as you want.

Take note, McGillishitty with his average plexes, or Neckbeard Harris.

It's a shame, the future of WWE doesn't look bad, it just looks bland and generic, with little standout characters.

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
I'm not opposed to the push they're getting(especially Cody) but it does annoy me how protected they are by the booking. Even the Miz ate a lot of losses up until his WWE Title win, hell even Swagger who's a former World Champion loses quite regularly.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
In the latest Botchamania, you can see Drew's fantastic heat!

Reactions: Ham and Egger

·
STRONGER THAN A BEAR, FASTER THAN A BUCK!
2,092 Posts
Turn Mcintyre face and leave Rhodes as heel.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: Drew McIntyre and Cody Rhodes and the midcard division

To those thinking that a future face turn is in the works/should be in the works, I'm curious as to how you guys think the creative team will do this?

Cody seems to be doing, at the least, decent with the role he is given and his possibly upcoming feud with Big Show err.. show no signs of him turning face soon. Still, I see a bigger chance of him turning face than Drew.

Drew is an interesting story. I'll be the first to admit that his character is not compelling (Matter of fact, I'll come out and admit that I find him boring)but there is something about him that screams "presence." I just don't think a face turn would be able to bring it out from him (and I seen that promo video he did and I find that unoriginal, unfunny, and something almost anyone on the roster can do better).

·
Registered
9,112 Posts
No use in complaining about Drew because his push is DEAD. Rhodes immediately got lost in the shuffle but at least hes done a good job of getting his gimmick over. Rhodes is one of the few who can flounder in the midcard for a while longer cause of his age and still have a very good career.

With 3 midcard faces released (MVP, Matt, Kaval) and the hopeful elevation of Kofi and Ziggler, the Smackdown midcard could look a lot better come 2011.

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
I honestly don't mind how strong they're booked because they're two of the best future prospects in Smackdown right now (and also because i'm a big fan of these two), they've got all what WWE wants (except maybe crowds reaction, lol), what i don't understand is why the SD writers don't give them a proper program with the babyfaces, like OP said the creatives just job the babyfaces out to them like crazy, or in other term, the babyfaces are buried. A good example of proper babyface vs. heel feud was Drew McIntyre/Matt Hardy feud, this storyline was well-written and successfully served its purpose which was to get McIntyre over, yes, Drew was over at that time, he gained good ass heat after humiliating Teddy Long and brutally attacked Matt Hardy for weeks, this kind of feud is much more beneficial than having a meaningless squash/random match that gains little to no heat at all. And like OP said, Cody/Masters feud was so pointless, i mean, they could have prolonged and built-up the feud a little bit longer and get the crowds emotionally invested in the feud to help two of them getting more over but the creatives blew that opportunity by jobbing Masters out to Cody in a squash match after so little build-up. I'll say it again, i have zero problem with how strong they're booked, they clearly are two of the better young talents in the roster right now, it's just the lazy unispiring booking by SD writers that kinda irks me.

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
I actually take back what I said about Drew being protected by booking. He lost to Matt Hardy twice cleanly, one of which was a squash, he ate a clean loss to MVP in a triple threat and in a singles match and he may have gotten a double countout with Zeke but the Guyanese Goliath got the last laugh.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
You guys think Drew's turning face? I mean, hell look at that segment with Kelly Kelly.

I think a face Drew might work.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
A good example of proper babyface vs. heel feud was Drew McIntyre/Matt Hardy feud, this storyline was well-written
I think the problem I had with that feud is that it was pretty blatant that they wanted us to hate Drew and I don't think us smarks where the only one to notice it. Or maybe it was just a case where the audience couldn't buy it (in the long run) because we were so use to seeing our bad guys run away. Drew just came out of nowhere, dominated the midcard, had support of management (kayfabe wise), and had everything handed to him- to which the audience perhaps, subconsciously thought, "Something is wrong with this picture."

No use in complaining about Drew because his push is DEAD
Seeing as how he's about to go into a storyline with Kelly, I disagree and I have a feeling this storyline is going to come at the expense at whatever midacard faces are left. The conflict centers around whether Kelly believes Drew is a nice guy at heart or a sadistic person, and you can't toy with the audience with this question without making Drew show more intensity in the ring (hence, he stays dominant and wins most of the matches).

I think a face Drew might work.
I really don't see it. I do see occasional moments of brilliance where you could believe Drew is a smug prick and, personally, it would be a shame to switch him into a face- especially since you risk the audience not buying into it at all (seeing as how there's very little face wrestlers left, it would look obvious and rushed to be believable).

1 - 20 of 35 Posts