Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think for a first post since I've been away for a while has to be the change in Drew McIntyres character on Raw!

I think he is slowly turning face and seeing him do a 3..2..1...Claymore! The crowd seemed to be right into it, I hadn't seen a few episodes of Raw up until that point and wondered just what I'd missed the previous weeks before that? It seems drew has his eye on his first WWE World title, and my oh my has it been a long road to even get a single shot at a title, be it the old (now black)WWE World Heavyweight belt or the(red) WWE World Championship belt, Drew hasn't had the opportunity yet at one.

After all these years and a ton of hard work after leaving in 2014, a long journey through the Indies and back home to the WWE where Vince McMahon in 2009 proclaimed the young Scot as a future World Heavyweight champion in the making!. Well roll on 11 years and that seems to be close to reality as Drew has his sight on winning the Royal Rumble and a shot at the World title at Wrestlemania 36!!!

What a story Drew has had and is having right now, the crowd seem to be into Drew more as a tweener/face (not quite sure yet, haven't seen enough)and he seems to be more himself during promos which is great, having the crowd onside cheering and recognizing just what Drew is doing and has done is remarkable, and it shows that if you work hard enough you will be given an opportunity to shine.

I would love to see Drew McIntyre V Brock Lesnar at WM36 with the right build up, done right the crowd will go crazy!!! But knowing WWE they always do thing differently, maybe 2020 is McIntyres year....maybe not, but to me the time feels right to build another great one!

Can after all these years Vince be right and Drew McIntyre finally becomes what he was always destined to be? WWE World Champion? Only time will tell...

·
Team AEW
2,775 Posts
Would be really great if Drew McIntyre challenged Brock Lesnar for the WWE Title at Wrestlemania. It's something fresh and something people would like to see. But first he needs some build. Whether they could give him the Rumble or the Chamber win I don't give much of a shit, honestly, as long as he'll be booked adequately and strong enough to challenge Lesnar. People need to really buy it. I don't think I like the "chanting with the crowd" Drew McIntyre, but I'll take it if he gets more over. But still, he shouldn't be like Cena, cracking jokes, etc. That's what they tried to do with Roman, and it failed. That's why I feel the opposite - I think he's not himself. I think Vince just forced him to do this, because he wants to give him a chance to get over, and this is what gets you over these days, in Vince mind at least. I'd rather he be a man of a few words, who speaks with actions, goes to the ring and kills people. That type of character I would dig a lot more. But again, what ever will get him over, this face-turn is not terrible, it's fine.

PS - for the record, I prefer Samoa Joe to get his title run before Drew, but Joe has little to no chance to do it, and by the looks of it, Drew has, so I'm cheering for him now.

·
Registered
3 Posts
In Drew they have someone who can be seen as a legitimate threat to brock, I just hope they don't give him the Strowman booking and get him over, face Brock for the title and loose and then get stuck in mid card oblivion.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I like Drew. He looks like a legit ass kicker and much more suited for a top spot than someone like Roman who is more of a model/pretty boy.

Drew look like a guy you wouldn’t want to piss off in a bar and looks legit enough to be a realistic threat to Brock.

I wouldn’t put him however in a FOTC spot, quite the opposite - I would make him like a moden HHH type of villain- top bad guy who would fight anyone and who doesn’t mind getting himself dirty in order to hurt his opponents.

I also liked his pairing with Orton as both guys have similar vibe to them, I wouldn’t mind a Power trip type of a team where him and Orton gets all Raw titles and dominate for a while until a super baby face team finally takes them out

·
Registered
443 Posts
That's why I feel the opposite - I think he's not himself. I think Vince just forced him to do this, because he wants to give him a chance to get over, and this is what gets you over these days, in Vince mind at least. I'd rather he be a man of a few words, who speaks with actions, goes to the ring and kills people. That type of character I would dig a lot more. But again, what ever will get him over, this face-turn is not terrible, it's fine.
that's pretty obvious,ofc vince is forcing him that's why it feels this disingenuous and pathetic,it's forced,fake and cringe.
this obviously won't get him over,he STILL gets crickets so..
yea as a matter of fact it is beyond terrible, it's not fine at all,that should've went with,like u said,terminator,badass of a few words etc

·
Registered
281 Posts
I definitely think it's Drew's time to shine. The guy has been great since he originally left WWE. To think that he managed to become this after being relegated to a minor member of 3MB is astounding really. He did great work in Impact and on the UK scene and absolutely kicked arse in NXT on his return. His work on the main roster has also been brilliant, despite booking making him look like the minor threat on a few occasions.

It's finally time to let him run with his main event push and win the title off Brock. As said above, he does look like a guy that you wouldn't want to piss off in a bar, so let the guy loose!

·
Team AEW
2,775 Posts
I like Drew. He looks like a legit ass kicker and much more suited for a top spot than someone like Roman who is more of a model/pretty boy.

Drew look like a guy you wouldn’t want to piss off in a bar and looks legit enough to be a realistic threat to Brock.

I wouldn’t put him however in a FOTC spot, quite the opposite - I would make him like a moden HHH type of villain- top bad guy who would fight anyone and who doesn’t mind getting himself dirty in order to hurt his opponents.

I also liked his pairing with Orton as both guys have similar vibe to them, I wouldn’t mind a Power trip type of a team where him and Orton gets all Raw titles and dominate for a while until a super baby face team finally takes them out
I was fully on board with your ideas in this post until this. I don't think this is the time to put Drew in a tag team, it's just gonna be the same as Ziggler pairing, booking and card positioning wise. He's finally getting noticed by casuals, its time for the singles push.

that's pretty obvious,ofc vince is forcing him that's why it feels this disingenuous and pathetic,it's forced,fake and cringe.
this obviously won't get him over,he STILL gets crickets so..
yea as a matter of fact it is beyond terrible, it's not fine at all,that should've went with,like u said,terminator,badass of a few words etc
Come on. It's not crickets, and wasn't for a while. He's getting a positive reaction, it's getting more consistent each week. I wouldn't call what he does "cringe", but it's definitely worse than Terminator gimmick, or an old-school HHH-type gimmick.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Come on. It's not crickets, and wasn't for a while. He's getting a positive reaction, it's getting more consistent each week. I wouldn't call what he does "cringe", but it's definitely worse than Terminator gimmick, or an old-school HHH-type gimmick.
yes it is, don't have to believe me, listen again but more carefully this time,u'll hear NOTHING during his entrance,maaybe the weakest of pops by 3 people (tho I doubt even that) but that's it. unfortunately,cuz I'm fan of drew,but it is the FACT that crowd doesn't care about him,especially since this pathetic cringe face turn,if he stayed badass terminator heel and start getting REAL fucking push (beating guys that matter and getting world title),I'm sure crowd would react to him (probably positively), but as it stands-he's not over at all

fyi, crowd, OUT OF PITY, chanting with him CUZ HE BEGS THEM ''3..2..1..'' etc isn't really a sign of overness,del fucking rio got the crowd to chant ''SI SI SI'' and they still didn't REALLY give a shit about him,he was famously unover during most of his run so..the only real parameter by which should be decided someone's overness is the crowd reaction when someone's music hits,that's the only way to know if they genuinely care about performer (like him o hate him) or they're forced to give at least SOME reactions/chants during matches, out of courtesy and politeness

·
Team AEW
2,775 Posts
yes it is, don't have to believe me, listen again but more carefully this time,u'll hear NOTHING during his entrance,maaybe the weakest of pops by 3 people (tho I doubt even that) but that's it. unfortunately,cuz I'm fan of drew,but it is the FACT that crowd doesn't care about him,especially since this pathetic cringe face turn,if he stayed badass terminator heel and start getting REAL fucking push (beating guys that matter and getting world title),I'm sure crowd would react to him (probably positively), but as it stands-he's not over at all

fyi, crowd, OUT OF PITY, chanting with him CUZ HE BEGS THEM ''3..2..1..'' etc isn't really a sign of overness,del fucking rio got the crowd to chant ''SI SI SI'' and they still didn't REALLY give a shit about him,he was famously unover during most of his run so..the only real parameter by which should be decided someone's overness is the crowd reaction when someone's music hits,that's the only way to know if they genuinely care about performer (like him o hate him) or they're forced to give at least SOME reactions/chants during matches, out of courtesy and politeness
Well, the entrance music isn't necessarily a sign of overness either. There are wrestlers that aren't over, but people cheer for their music when they come out, and vise-versa. Drew has a god awful piece of shit theme song, it's not cool, it's not catchy, it's not anything out of ordinary, it's just shit. But when he talks - people react. When he hits big moves - people react. When he does his kip up - people react. Sure it's not a real, good main event reaction. But it's a start. And wins over Styles, Orton, etc should help. Perfect time for him to challenge Lesnar for the title. Just build him up, make him dominate Lesnar on TV, don't make him an underdog, and people will lose their shit for their match. I mean... that's ideally, lol. They probably will do something else.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Well, the entrance music isn't necessarily a sign of overness either. There are wrestlers that aren't over, but people cheer for their music when they come out, and vise-versa. Drew has a god awful piece of shit theme song, it's not cool, it's not catchy, it's not anything out of ordinary, it's just shit. But when he talks - people react. When he hits big moves - people react. When he does his kip up - people react. Sure it's not a real, good main event reaction. But it's a start. And wins over Styles, Orton, etc should help. Perfect time for him to challenge Lesnar for the title. Just build him up, make him dominate Lesnar on TV, don't make him an underdog, and people will lose their shit for their match. I mean... that's ideally, lol. They probably will do something else.
yes it is lol, the ONLY sign, like I said. for example,bryan,cena,orton in his prime,aj styles etc etc all got huge reactions and crowd chants to booth and whether u like them or not,nobody could deny they were over.
name me one wrestler for whose music they cheer that aren't over? (tho that by itself is a paradox lol cuz if they react when their music hits,they are obviously over,simple as that). I wouldn't agree, IMO his music is badass,and people anyway don't care if someone's entrance music is good or not,they don't cheer for the music but for the wrestler (bryan also has beyond stupid and generic music yet that never stopped anyone from cheering him during entrance,wonder why is that?)
ofc they're gonna react when he does ''big'' moves cuz they are reacting to the said moves,not the guy.everybody likes to see nice looking powerful move,that doesn't mean they care for the performer that does that move lol. and tbh I didn't notice even that,that they're reacting to his moves,or anybody's moves for that matter,crowd is almost always completely dead,they just barely pop when it comes close to finish and they stop spamming with boring holds etc

I'm not sure if I'd want THIS version of drew to win a title, this is one of the worst face turns in like..forever,so I doubt he would entertain me,like I said,maybe if he remained heel or even better tweener

·
Team AEW
2,775 Posts
yes it is lol, the ONLY sign, like I said. for example,bryan,cena,orton in his prime,aj styles etc etc all got huge reactions and crowd chants to booth and whether u like them or not,nobody could deny they were over.
name me one wrestler for whose music they cheer that aren't over? (tho that by itself is a paradox lol cuz if they react when their music hits,they are obviously over,simple as that). I wouldn't agree, IMO his music is badass,and people anyway don't care if someone's entrance music is good or not,they don't cheer for the music but for the wrestler (bryan also has beyond stupid and generic music yet that never stopped anyone from cheering him during entrance,wonder why is that?)
ofc they're gonna react when he does ''big'' moves cuz they are reacting to the said moves,not the guy.everybody likes to see nice looking powerful move,that doesn't mean they care for the performer that does that move lol. and tbh I didn't notice even that,that they're reacting to his moves,or anybody's moves for that matter,crowd is almost always completely dead,they just barely pop when it comes close to finish and they stop spamming with boring holds etc
You say that people can react to the big moves, but not the guy. But then refuse to admit, that people can react to a music track, not the guy. That's not a contradiction, I guess?

To say that the music is solely the only sign that wrestler is over is just a laughable statement. I guess Bobby Roode was very over on Smackdown when he debuted and people only listened to his music, but sat on their hands during all his matches. Fact is - people just may get into music, and that's it. They may not care about the character, it's 2 completely different things. Now, the music certainly helps a lot, but it's far from the only sign people are over. Examples you've mentioned had little to no relation with caring for wrestler and his music, but all of their music themes were (and are) pretty bad. Then you completely contradict yourself telling that Bryan is over NOT because of music, well then which is it? I know why he's over, and it has nothing to do with music, and for a lot of wrestlers this is the case. But again, music can be a big part of wrestler's popularity. And in McIntyre's case it CERTAINLY doesn't help. His music is some bottom of the barrel WWE trash. It's just typical generic WWE theme, only with some Scottish vibes. A lot of their themes are like this nowadays, they feel lifeless. At first it starts pretty good, you think: well nice, now where is this going? And you know where is it going? On a fucking loop. It builds and builds to some climactic part, which never happens. Sting's WWE theme was just like this. I hate when they do that. And also, this theme is a cop out of his NXT theme, which wasn't perfect on its own, but at least had some good climax. His current theme just has some starting tunes, that are never followed up on. It starts, then you get the feeling of continuation, but then at that absolutely anti-climactic moment it suddenly goes on a loop. If you think that's badass, I think you have pretty low standards. I never fault people not to cheer that trash.

I'm not sure if I'd want THIS version of drew to win a title, this is one of the worst face turns in like..forever,so I doubt he would entertain me,like I said,maybe if he remained heel or even better tweener
Tweeners don't exist, fyi. At least they don't exist for too long, in WWE. Tweener - is a character currently between the heel and a face, waiting to turn. Drew is a tweener now, you can say. He doesn't insult the crowd, but then he assaults all of the innocent geeks in No Way Jose's circus. He acts both like a heel and a face, which will soon change to just acting like a face, if it already hasn't.

Well, I for one support the man behind the character, not the kayfabe non-existent personality. To me, I try to look past the gimmick and see the talent. If I like him, I cheer him. If he deserves to win the gold, I wouldn't give a flying fuck what gimmick he plays, I'd just care about them putting him where he belongs - and that's the main event. He could play the 3MB gimmick for all I care, if that is gonna win him the world title. Now, granted, that wouldn't be as entertaining as him being killer and terminator. Because, as I've already said - I prefer this over the face turn. But if that goofy counting gets him to a win against Brock Lesnar, you're not gonna support him, are you kidding me? That's like the biggest accomplishment nowadays - beat Lesnar at Mania, AND becoming the fucking World Champion. I'll gladly take that over him being a silent killer, who's not winning titles and people don't care about. Not my choice, but I certainly gonna cheer that anyway - because at the end of the day it's still Drew McIntyre - the man I support.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I dont even remember his entrance theme. I think they have turned him too late into the Wrestlemania build.

·
Registered
443 Posts
You say that people can react to the big moves, but not the guy. But then refuse to admit, that people can react to a music track, not the guy. That's not a contradiction, I guess?

To say that the music is solely the only sign that wrestler is over is just a laughable statement. I guess Bobby Roode was very over on Smackdown when he debuted and people only listened to his music, but sat on their hands during all his matches. Fact is - people just may get into music, and that's it. They may not care about the character, it's 2 completely different things. Now, the music certainly helps a lot, but it's far from the only sign people are over. Examples you've mentioned had little to no relation with caring for wrestler and his music, but all of their music themes were (and are) pretty bad. Then you completely contradict yourself telling that Bryan is over NOT because of music, well then which is it? I know why he's over, and it has nothing to do with music, and for a lot of wrestlers this is the case. But again, music can be a big part of wrestler's popularity. And in McIntyre's case it CERTAINLY doesn't help. His music is some bottom of the barrel WWE trash. It's just typical generic WWE theme, only with some Scottish vibes. A lot of their themes are like this nowadays, they feel lifeless. At first it starts pretty good, you think: well nice, now where is this going? And you know where is it going? On a fucking loop. It builds and builds to some climactic part, which never happens. Sting's WWE theme was just like this. I hate when they do that. And also, this theme is a cop out of his NXT theme, which wasn't perfect on its own, but at least had some good climax. His current theme just has some starting tunes, that are never followed up on. It starts, then you get the feeling of continuation, but then at that absolutely anti-climactic moment it suddenly goes on a loop. If you think that's badass, I think you have pretty low standards. I never fault people not to cheer that trash.

Tweeners don't exist, fyi. At least they don't exist for too long, in WWE. Tweener - is a character currently between the heel and a face, waiting to turn. Drew is a tweener now, you can say. He doesn't insult the crowd, but then he assaults all of the innocent geeks in No Way Jose's circus. He acts both like a heel and a face, which will soon change to just acting like a face, if it already hasn't.

Well, I for one support the man behind the character, not the kayfabe non-existent personality. To me, I try to look past the gimmick and see the talent. If I like him, I cheer him. If he deserves to win the gold, I wouldn't give a flying fuck what gimmick he plays, I'd just care about them putting him where he belongs - and that's the main event. He could play the 3MB gimmick for all I care, if that is gonna win him the world title. Now, granted, that wouldn't be as entertaining as him being killer and terminator. Because, as I've already said - I prefer this over the face turn. But if that goofy counting gets him to a win against Brock Lesnar, you're not gonna support him, are you kidding me? That's like the biggest accomplishment nowadays - beat Lesnar at Mania, AND becoming the fucking World Champion. I'll gladly take that over him being a silent killer, who's not winning titles and people don't care about. Not my choice, but I certainly gonna cheer that anyway - because at the end of the day it's still Drew McIntyre - the man I support.
you completely misunderstood me, the music during one's entrance is not the point,nobody cheers for the music in itself, like I stated (which u completely spinned and started for some reason talkin about music), I was talking about crowd reaction during someone's ENTRANCE,THAT'S the sign if they care for u or not,music be damned.
it is laughable the way u put it cuz u didn't understood my point, hope u NOW understand,it's pretty logical and objectively true that the only sign that matters of someone's connection with the crowd is if they CHEER for the guy when they see him first while he's making entrance (cuz u know,they're fuckin happy to see him :SS if that's not the undeniable proof of caring I dunno what is lol) or they sit on their hands (meaning they don't care,cuz they're,in that case,going,like,''ooh THIS guy.. :/ w/e''). I CAN'T be more clear

no,U have low standards for not realising the awesomeness of his theme,so what if it ''goes on a loop'' lol wtf?!
but anyway that's neither here nor there,like I said,that's complete digression,music is irrelevant

I never said they exist (in wwe), I said I'd like him to be heel or a tweener,anything other than this horrible mess.he is a face,nobody cares about those conga geeks lol, it doesn't make him a heel for wrecking them

well that's the difference between us, I solely support characters,cuz,u know..IT'S A FUCKIN TV SHOW LOL, why the fuck would I care about the man behind character, I'm not his fucking friend or somethin :SS

no,THIS version of drew most certainly does not belong in main event, maybe on heat or the SHOW ''main event'' (if that's still around lol). heel version of drew,which he had even ten years ago,absolutely belong in main event.

that's like sayin you'd like that,for example,de niro gets oscar for terrible acting in some random low budget movie,cuz ''u support the man!'';like, no, he ''deserves'' oscar if he has some great acting role lol, it's that simple,what u r sayin makes objectively no sense,UNLESS ofc u know drew personally or something, so u want him to do well lol

·
Registered
99 Posts

That’s easy fixable- make him and Roman the last 2 people in the RR and you will see Drew being universally cheered

·
Registered
99 Posts
Here is the perfect way for WWE to make Drew universally cheered and the most over person in WWE

1. “Leak” to Meltzer a backstage report that Vince is very happy with the reactions Roman have been getting recently and is now full on board to make him FOTC and have him win RR and beat The Fiend in the main event

2. Have Drew come early in the rumble and eliminate some guys that the fans don’t like or don’t care for : Corbin, Lashley, Ziggler, Morrison, etc . Maybe even Cain if he comes to eliminate Brock or Brock himself.

3. Have Roman come out last or one of the last spots and have him eliminate bunch of forum darlings like Aj styles, Balor, Richishet, Alister Black , etc.

4. Have Roman and Drew last and make it look like Roman is winning for sure only for him to get Claymored at the very end out of the ring.

5. Enjoy the fireworks and Drew as your new most over face !

·
Registered
443 Posts
That’s easy fixable- make him and Roman the last 2 people in the RR and you will see Drew being universally cheered
not necessarily, unfortunately roman isn't that hated anymore cuz pathetic sheep started liking him cuz of teh cancer!!11

I have been saying Drew is FOTC material since he came back to NXT
I have been saying that since I saw him in wwe,back in 2008 or 2009
if only they'd bring back his old theme (what's this metronome I hear) that would be epic

·
Premium Member
4,052 Posts
He's got the "it" factor. He's can go in the ring, he's got the look, he's got the physique, he could work the mic, he could get reactions. With proper work, WWE could create something big butt...ya know.

His theme does suck though. I mean...it could definitely be better.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts