Wrestling Forum banner

Who is better as the Champion, Drake or Aries?

• Eli Drake

Votes: 12 44.4%
  • Austin Aries

Votes: 15 55.6%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who would you rather have as Impact Wrestling's Champion, Eli Drake or Austin Aries? To me, the title switched hands in a schmoz, and I would have rather seen Drake drop the belt to Johnny Impact. It felt like a swerve for the sake of it. I was a big A Double fan, but after his disappointing WWE run and some of his bizarre promos, I would rather not see him as the Impact champ.

Eli Drake picked up the ball and he ran with it. He exceeded expectations and defined what the company is looking for in a world champion. Aries has fallen to the dark side of professional wrestling, and should not be the face of Impact moving forward. They should have brought him back the right way. Not feed the top dog to him in a joke match for the gold. And that is just a fact of life.

·
Premium Member
5,302 Posts
I’d rather have Aries as champ. Keep in mind I don’t watch TNA

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’d rather have Aries as champ. Keep in mind I don’t watch TNA
Exactly. Then how would you know that Eli Drake is consistently one of the best things in wrestling every week? Christopher Adonis has been great as his lackey/enforcer. Aries walks out in street clothes eating a banana, like he wasn't jobbing out at the end of his last Impact run, and like he didn't end most of his matches in WWE laying on his back. I'm all for Aries being back in Impact, but not like this.

·
JANUARY 5TH
4,105 Posts
Ehh, the moment Eli Drake match starts I lose all my interest in watching it. He is a good talker. Thats all. Aries is far better in every aspect. They are not even in the same league.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Austin Aries is the Greatest Man Who Ever Lived.

Reactions: ReekOfAwesomenesss

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I'd like to see Jimmy Jacobs and Joey Mercury become lackeys for Aries. It would help Austin look bigger. I'd even give the group a name and call them something like The Professionals.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Sad but true I agree that once Eli match starts i lose interest.I put Eli behind all other recent champs and only ahead of Magnus who I rate as the WORSE CHAMP in TNA/IMPACT HISTORY!!!!

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I like Drake but I see him as a modern Jeff Jarrett in that he isnt the best in the ring but his ability to draw heat made him a good heel champion. I would of preferred a long chase with Johnny dethroning him but Aries is great choice.

Aries is one of those guys who can work whatever side they need or even blur the lines as a confident face. In ring he's outstanding and great on the mic.

Comparing both, Aries is way better in the ring whilst on th mic, its much closer and could go to either Drake or Aries. So overall Aries is better option, especially for a new direction of company as he can help bring quality world title matches and could even turn heel when they have their next big face to dethrone him.

Or, they could pull an early AJ Styles NWA reign where Aries has great matches but drops back to Eli Drake in a few months for them to redo Drake vs Johnny Impact.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Would Austin Aires make for a good champion? Absolutely. He's done it before and he'll do it again.

But, at this juncture, keeping the belt on Eli Drake was the better choice. He's done a great job during the absolute most shit time in the history of the company. He isn't Austin Aires in the ring but he can have fantastic matches like he did with Petey Williams. I see him as equal to or better than The Miz and, if you wouldn't kill to have Miz in your company, I seriously question your business plan.

Austin Aires is a fantastic talent and a helluva a choice to be champ but, if I didn't rip the belt off of Drake for El Patron or Johnny Worldwide, why would I do it when A-Double?

·
Registered
24,486 Posts
I see a lot of people saying how much better Aries is than Drake in the ring. And while I agree with that statement, I honestly don't believe it to be that wide of a margin.

Austin Aries in 2018 is not the same guy in 2012 having matches with guys like Roode and Jeff Hardy which were great. And I'm talking from stuff I've seen him in since leaving WWE, like Defiant Wrestling. Honestly from what I've seen of him, I haven't been that impressed given my expectations from what he used to be.

Drake on the other hand can be hit or miss. He can have some pretty good matches given the opponent but he can also be boring. Again, I would say Aries is better but in 2018, I don't believe it's by much.

I think either is fine as champion, but the manner which Aries won the title just feels like a "been there, done that" kind of thing.

·
Registered
652 Posts
I still stand behind the fact that Drake is a good talent(Ok in the ring and a really good talker).

His problem was the booking which can be said about 90% of Impact's talents. He never felt like a larger than life heel, his attire is pretty crappy and he comes out to a shitty theme song as well. Pro-wrestling is all about presentation and they do a horrible job showcasing most of their wrestlers.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've got to say, it's interesting reading some of these perspectives. I didn't know some people felt that way about Eli Drake's in ring work. He's got athleticism, some size, and I think he tells a great story in the ring. Eli did a sweet top rope springboard moonsault in his match with Aries.

Again, it's just bittersweet for me seeing where A Double's career has gone the past year or two. Eli Drake is still the man in my book, and I'd rather see him going up against Impact's best. Not that we haven't already seen him against Patron and Johnny. The way the title changed hands, it's not a good look when you are trying to build your company around a veteran who is established at a certain level. Especially when Aries lacks height.

Hopefully there will be a decent payoff down the line, and the switch will have worked to their benefit. I'm definitely not going to criticize AA's in ring work, and I can see the logic how since both are great talkers, but Aries gets the nod for ability, so I can see why he still gets respect. I have to give Drake all the credit in the world for rising up to the top and carrying the world title when he was only presented as a decent heel midcarder before. Impact gave him the ball, he ran with it, and now he's a lot more credible than he was before entering the title scene. Who is he going to work with if he's not in the title picture? Brian Cage? Yes, I'm down with that.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I voted Aries purely because I enjoyed Aries run as champ (pre return) more then I did with Eli. I found Drake's run to be a little boring. I'm not a fan of Adonis being his side kick and would have like to see Eli chat smack but also back it up in the ring by out smarting his opponents .

It was a shame Drake v Aries was not giving a lengthy feud though with Aries winning it at the PPV. Aries has some potentially great match ups in the future though.

Reactions: Lil Mark

·
The Definition of Excellence
1,554 Posts
I'm going with Aries, simply because the fact that his return has gotten me legit excited for TNA again and tuning in every week again, thus giving everyone else a chance. I feel like he was the shot in the arm they needed. With that said... I absolutely think Drake deserves another shot to carry the ball down the road.

Reactions: Lil Mark

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Eli Drake is currently in the best angle of his career and will only benefit from working with Aries. Aries is sharp as a knife on the mic and still agile in the ring for 39. Drake's ability in the ring will be enhanced by working with Aries. I don't think Drake would be able to do the things he did with Aries in a match with Lashley or Patron (jumping to the top rope and slamming Aries in a split second).

Austin Aries should be the face of Impact. He is the only true TNA original there that is main event. Styles, Joe, and Roode are all in WWE.

Exactly. Then how would you know that Eli Drake is consistently one of the best things in wrestling every week? Christopher Adonis has been great as his lackey/enforcer. Aries walks out in street clothes eating a banana, like he wasn't jobbing out at the end of his last Impact run, and like he didn't end most of his matches in WWE laying on his back. I'm all for Aries being back in Impact, but not like this.
...like this isn't fiction and past politics in TNA didn't decide how Aries was treated on the way out or how Vince's lust for big dudes didn't kill Aries' chances in WWE.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
That's his signature move. He does it in most of his matches.
He is an agile big guy. I dig it.

The brand has been dead to me until Aries returned, so I've only caught Drake's promo work until now. But still, nobody else on the roster is going to give Drake a better match than Aries.

Aries has both the mobility of a cruiser and the story telling experience of a guy that has worked with the likes of Sting and Angle.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I voted Aries purely because I enjoyed Aries run as champ (pre return) more then I did with Eli. I found Drake's run to be a little boring. I'm not a fan of Adonis being his side kick and would have like to see Eli chat smack but also back it up in the ring by out smarting his opponents .

It was a shame Drake v Aries was not giving a lengthy feud though with Aries winning it at the PPV. Aries has some potentially great match ups in the future though.
I believe Adonis already worked his last set of Tv tapings but not sure when the last one airs.

I spend a lot of time wondering stuff like that while watching impact as I generally do not read the spoilers and they tape so far ahead. Like wondering if EC3 will have overlapping NXT tapings as an example.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts