Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Total Nonstop Action Wrestling's Douglas Williams has spent several months trying to ground the high-flyers of the X-Division. With his reign as the division's champion, it's a crusade the mat technician takes seriously.

His philosophy of what wrestling should be is telling a story to the crowd and, through time, drawing their emotions into the match. That is something which can be hard when X-Division performers go to the sky for a constant spot fest.

``I think a lot of the X-Division performers do far too much that the fans become desensitized by what they do,'' Williams said. ``So I'm trying to bring a level of control to what they do. At the same time, I'm pushing my own particular brand of wrestling because that is what I enjoy doing. It is primarily what I'm about.''

Before becoming an official member of the TNA roster, the Reading (Berkshire) England-born grappler earned a name for himself around the world in places across Europe and Japan. He also made many appearances through the years stateside for Ring of Honor.

Despite his more than 15-year experience, working on a weekly televised wrestling show was something new and is giving him his most exposure.

``It was an honor to follow in the footsteps of the likes of Dynamite Kid, Davey Boy Smith and, more recently, William Regal,'' said Williams, who reportedly moved to the United States full-time and signed a new long-term deal with the company.

``From a personal point of view, it's probably the one aspect of my career that I was not involved with that much. It's nice to round out my career with the TV-style of pro wrestling. In respect to the UK, there is no TV really or any of that.

``It took some getting used to because there is more character doing a TV show and the matches were a lot shorter. So in that respect it was an adjustment.''

Branching out of the British Invasion, Williams, 37, has done just that. He mastered the microphone and refined his character, much like he mastered the squared circle. No longer associated with his fellow countrymen Magnus and Rob Terry, he is a man on his own.

``I'm ultimately a singles wrestler anyway,'' Williams said. ``So it allows me to do a different character and maybe not so stereotypical, which was what the British Invasion was. The gimmick is now not just that I'm not from the UK.''

Once his run with the X-Division concludes and his mission is accomplished Williams plans on testing his skill against the heavyweights.

``Obviously the heavyweight division will bring something new to the table, and I would like to move up and have a few heavyweight opponents,'' Williams said. ``Kurt Angle, obviously, is someone I may be able to show a thing or two. Then again, he can show me probably three or four. That would be good. A few are off the wall like Rob Van Dam and Jeff Hardy. Their style is a little bit different. So hopefully we'll see that happen soon.

• Williams defends the X-Division championship against Brian Kendrick in a hybrid submission and Ultimate X match at TNA's Victory Road PPV at 8 p.m. Sunday, July 11 from Universal Studios Orlando. Fan packages are available for a fan-friendly weekend at tnawrestling.com.

Read more: http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/07/10/1725051/x-division-champ-williams-tells.html#ixzz0tTmAWG2b

·
The man with the plan
2,675 Posts
Good read:) I'm glad that Doug Williams is finally getting the exposure he deserves. I remember watching him in FWA back when I first got into wrestling, he's gone a long way. It's great that people (Well, the IWC at least) are enjoying him in TNA so much!

·
also known as a BUSTER
11,984 Posts
Its such a great angle because its grounded in something real and tangible. Its logical that an X-Division heel would have a non-X style. Doug is the perfect guy to pull it off too.

·
Banned
5,666 Posts
Doug Williams is my favourite in TNA, he is just so excellent in the ring, one of the best technical wrestlers around at the moment and he's also a great storyteller, I couldn't ask for much more in a wrestler.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Good read. Douglas Williams is awesome, he has really grown on me. They should have him drop the X-Divison Title, and feud with his ex British Invasion ally, Rob Terry, and get the Global Championship from him, making the title more credible.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts