Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Banned
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From PWInsider:

Numerous sources within TNA are confirming that Don West, who has been with the company from day one as an announcer before moving on to head TNA's Merchandise end during the summer of 2009, has given TNA notice that will be finishing shortly with the company.

West, who had no previous experience working in the business, was brought in as an announcer for the company when they launched in June 2002. He and Mike Tenay soon became the company's announcing team, although West was also used at times as The Amazing Red's manager, which was a role he was very good at.

In August 2011, West was replaced by Taz as an announcer for the promotion, Wes was given a promotion behind the scenes and took over TNA's Merchandise end. West immediately went on the road full-time handling the company's autograph signings and doing "Don West Deals" live at the shows. West would trumpet special deals from inside the ring and the merchandise table, sort of a pied piper for selling shirts and DVDs, doing an amazing job at getting the company's merch sales up.

West, who first gained fame for Shop at Home, was famous for his unique and zany sales pitches, which at one point was parodied by Will Ferral on Saturday Night Live. West regularly created those pitches online via the ShopTNA.com websites. A number of people within TNA have noted that it's going to be "near impossible" to replace West's skills in the merchandise aspect of the company.

Going forward, West will be focusing on his website WildWestDeals.com.

·
Registered
9,665 Posts
Shame.

·
StarStruck
2,038 Posts
WHAT? NO!, I'm gutted by this, I've always hoped that one day TNA would wise up and bring him back, Taz doesn't cut it for me.

Reactions: Wildcat410

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO..............................................

·
Registered
21,621 Posts
They should still have him on commentary never mind anything else.

·
Banned
8,966 Posts
This is a huge shame. He has so much talent so for it to be wasted by letting him go is a big disappointment. I was hoping he'd one day return to the commentary team in place of Taz, but it seems now that it won't happen. Good luck to him in the future and thanks for the memories.

·
Registered
10,124 Posts

So out of place...

·
Premium Member
4,195 Posts
This sucks. Always liked Don West. Tenay has been terrible since Day one, but Don West always brought the excitement and sold big moves. Shit I feel like listening to Don West commentary right now. When he turned heel his act just got better and he was one of the best things in the booth.

·
Registered
11,719 Posts
Time to start replacing these old guys. I am sure TNA can find someone who is more experience when it comes to merchandising.

Don West commentary did fit TNA, the corny outburst match the TNA product.

·
Hiding in the shadows
1,416 Posts
"Be dialing people...be dialing!!!" Classic, old-school Don West on the Shopping Channel line.

It's too bad that he's leaving, but I guess he wants to work his own schedule, rather than going all out for TNA. He's had no problems selling merchandise in the past, so I see no problems with him on selling merchandise in the future. He was made for this.

I truly enjoyed him on commentary, but it's been so long ago since he last sat at the booth. You really forget how great his passion and enthusiasm was at getting over and selling TNA as a "big-time" promotion, especially in the early Nashville Fairgrounds days.

(Y) Don. Thank you.

·
April O'Neil is the GOAT
664 Posts
C'mon son.

Well thanks for that constructive post. When I said he's like TNA's Jim Ross I meant he's done a lot for the product and has been in several influential positions for the company. I don't mean that he says 'bah gawd' as good as JR or anything like that :no:.

4,549 Posts
So he's going to concentrate on his website? I can understand why he'd make that choice but, wow, sorry to see him go. TNA's right, "near impossible" to replace as a pitchman.

·
Banned
2,009 Posts
Well thanks for that constructive post. When I said he's like TNA's Jim Ross I meant he's done a lot for the product and has been in several influential positions for the company. I don't mean that he says 'bah gawd' as good as JR or anything like that :no:.
I took it as you saying he was as good as JR. Don West was hilarious and entertaining to say the least, but he was atrocious on commentary at times. Definitely not as bad as Taz and Tenay right now though. I've never seen a commentary team that is so incompatible in my life.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts